View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
pan6467
Lennonite Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngdawg
Question: Do you feel that dwelling on the 'reasons' to quit any addictive behaviors works as a trigger to keep those behaviors alive?
I 'know' what is happening, ie; I have a 'nicotine moustache, sinuses are shot, Reynaud's worsens(the only treatment for Reynauds is not smoking), heartburn worsens, breathing is compromised-all things I tell myself are reasons to stop, yet I don't...how does one reverse that? As someone who went through psychotherapy to reverse the triggers of panic attacks and psychosomatic illness, I know how to do that, but how does that work with an addiction? Can it work with addictions?
I like the idea of the log, a very good way to see your triggers, and it did help.

I think that putting pressure on yourself is just as bad as someone else doing it, maybe even moreso. If you tell yourself, "self I need to quit smoking." And you find yourself not quitting, and know in all honesty you don't want to..... it creates a stress (inner turmoil and uneasiness)...... how have you taught your body and psyche to handle stress?

I think psychotherapy can work wonders (if you allow it to). It can bring out reasons for use that you buried. It can work wonders. But the doctor has to be good and you have to follow thropugh no matter how bad the memories and feelings may get. You walk out halfway through and have all these unresolved issues and feelings that have been brought out... it can be very hazardous.

But just because I believe it helps in recovery, doesn't mean it helps everyone. For me it is a sleeve in my umbrella... for Joe Schmo it may not be, he may see it as a waste of money, and he recovers just as well as I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie667
In a follow up, i quit on a whim cold turkey. Decided one morning that i didn't want to be this way anymore, and didn't take that stuff again.

However, for some people who will go 'thats unpossible if you had an addiction', its not. Granted, i was in a state of mind where making a random decision and following through on it was commonplace, and i can't exactly remember the month or two afterwards (i have it on good authority i stayed indoors away from people and was grumpy), but it was the decision that was important.

I know its a cliche, but saying no was a wonder. It was around that time i picked up my interest in working out (which has gone up and down over the years). Feeling fitter and looking better definatly helped me.
Something to be very proud about Stevie......

I applaud you. Are you working any form of maintenence program? How are you staying clean?
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

Last edited by pan6467; 02-05-2007 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73