View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 07:50 AM   #25 (permalink)
aceventura3
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_dux
Ace....the DCAA found highly questionable and/or undocumented charges by Halliburton on one contract alone amounting to $263 million.

Thats alot of baksheeh is any language.
I agree $263 million is a lot of money. Some say the war will cost over $1 trillion dollars an obscene amount of money to spend on anything, what portion of that is going to be audited?

Without getting into a debate about if the war is worth the cost. My question had to do with how do you do you do clean auditable gap accounting in a war torn area? It is easy for auditors in Washington sitting in air conditioned offices drinking lattes, to find discrepencies. And it is easy to make unrealistic comparisons between doing busines in normal conditions and doing business in a war zone. But if you are on the ground in a war zone needing to get the job done by a deadline and your boss says do whatever it takes what do you do? I guess you would have all your people get purchase orders, signed off by 4 superiors, get reciepts, total them at the end of the day, and mail them all to Marge the bookkeeper, take inventory daily, and mail inventory records to George the supply accounts clerk, etc, etc, etc. I would get the job done and worry about Marge and George later.

On the question of profiteering - A) If the government did not trust their vendor could do the job at a reasonable cost, don't outsource the job. B) If you use a cost plus contract, have a proceedure and means to verify the costs before making payment. C) If your vendor is incurring extraordinary costs, address the issue at the time not years later. If anything this is a government problem not a Halliburton problem.

Quote:
You are right about the DoD and the Repub Congress . They certaintly didnt make a big deal about it. The DoD reinbursed Halliburton for $253 million of the $263 million without question and the Congress refused all attempts for further investigation.

It will see the light of day.
I am looking forward to seeing how the Democrats handle this. Do you think they will look at contracts and expenditures that occured during Clinton's admin? Why or why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbastid
You might go back and actually READ the OP. Senator Leahy has been trying...
"There is no try. There is do, and not do."

Yoda
"A lady screams at the mouse but smiles at the wolf. A gentleman is a wolf who sends flowers."

Last edited by aceventura3; 01-09-2007 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73