View Single Post
Old 10-22-2006, 07:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
SugahBritches
Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanblah
I hold the door for everyone--male, female, transgendered and misgendered. What I find amusing is how some (not all) people ignore me when I do it. It's even funnier when I'm at the movies and after the movie dozens of people file past LOOKING DIRECTLY AT ME and don't offer to take over or even hold the door while they pass through so that I can go catch up with my wife who is standing on the sidewalk laughing at me.
Aaawww. And I bet that is just ONE of the many things she loves about you too!

I know what you mean Vanblah. When you do this, notice their faces. Are they blank? When they file past, do they even smile and say, "thank you"?

Not long ago, I was going into a convenient store. I had my dag gum purse upside down and the latch was open. ALL of my stuff fell out right at the door! JEEZE! Which means I'm in the way of traffic! A few go in annoyed, or either stepping around me, until a man in his 50's kneels down and offers to help me. I grin and say, "Thank you so much. Things like this happen to me alot. I'm a klutz!" He grinned and said, "You are welcome." I looked up and around as still a few are stepping around us both now and I stood up and looked to my gallant savior and said, "I so much appreciate this. It's embarrassing enough to have your stuff all out there, but to happen in a public place and be in the way, is worse!" I'm laughing and he said once again, "You are quite welcome." He then opened the door and waited until I went in first. About a month later, this same man comes to our house with a few of the guys that work with my husband. I looked at him and he at me. I then started laughing and said, "Aaaah.........my gallant knight." He threw back his head and really laughed. The boss asked, "I see you have met my wife. What did she do this time?" I stuck my tongue out at the boss while the rest of the guys were laughing.

Vanblah, what I did notice when I emptied out most of my purse that day was that there were more guys my age and maybe a few years younger. But, yet........a man older than me was the one that took the time to help me. But, I have had a few youth (younger than my kids) offer to open doors when my arms are loaded and even times when I am empty-handed. But, you are right, not many acknowledge it. But, I sure do!! I've said a many of time, "Why thank you. You are a gentleman." And if a young girl/woman should help, I acknowledge them also. But, what started as just "common curtesey", probably was expected many years ago. Whereas today, since it's not a common reflex, we notice when people do acknowledge it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73