View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 02:50 AM   #70 (permalink)
Martian
Young Crumudgeon

It's reactionism. The hard truth is, this just isn't practical. A woman can't precisely go around wearing this at all times and if she's not wearing it she's vulnerable. Aside from that, it's simply not going to stop these crimes in their tracks. What leads to a device like this is a desire to do something, anything to prevent these atrocities from happening.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that I don't think it's going to make any changes.

In terms of the mechanics, my understanding is that the device 'latches on' when the man loses his erection, which will happen quite quickly. At that point the barbs have embedded themselves deeply enough that surgical removal is the only method possible, which requires a hospital visit and will lead to apprehension. I suppose it's probably possible to do it yourself, but I don't think I'd be wanting to dig around in my dick with a knife to try to get a bunch of barbs out.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer to the problem, nor is there a 'magic bullet'. This device makes the inventor and the people who read about it feel better and may lead to arrests in a few cases, but that's probably going to be the extent of it. I would love more than anything to be proven wrong here.

The only other issue I really have about it is that it doesn't prevent the crime, as it requires penetration to be effective. If one could devise a method to protect a woman prior to penetration, that would be the better option. The best thing that could be done would be to educate the women in high risk areas on how to protect themselves and offer enough protection and civil defense (ie police) to effectively patrol the dangerous sections of the country. Stiffer punishments would also help, although it's important not to use anything inhumane. If we inflict a cruel punishment on a person, even for a crime of this magnitude, we're really no better than they are. Unfortunately none of this really seems feasible at the moment either.
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73