View Single Post
Old 08-30-2004, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
onetime2
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachboy
look, there is ample evidence of cross-connections between the swiftboat guys and the bush campaign--i do not understand why you continue to post these articles as if somehow, at some point, these connections will vanish. or as if you could figure out some way to relativize the problem to such an extent that conversation on the matter would become paralyzed.

i am interested the division between media spaces that this kind of argument reflects--you can live in a conservative media universe it seems, or you can live in another, or a whole series of other, media universes, each with its own premises, each with its own modes of argument, each with its own systems of reinforcement. this seems to make conversation across positions quite difficult, because i assume that people with differing political positions would simply talk past each other.

i dont think this division/these divisions would be simply a matter of sources in a one-for-one kind of way, either: rather the primary media spaces one inhabits would operate as a kind of interpretive filter that would extend across other sources, screening out some information, including other types.

do you think the above accurate?
and if so, what might we do about it? (not so much in terms of dismantling institutions--but at the level of conversation)---if i am right, then this series of threads about the swiftboat people might be seen as an index of this bigger problem.
Ample evidence of links? Fine if you count the two people (one appearing in an ad and one giving professional advice as a client) and Laura Bush's statement as ample evidence of links that's fine. I don't count the "links" between Kerry and the other 527s as significant either but I have no doubt that these organizations are acting as a de facto representative of both campaigns. The sticking point is trying to prove coordination between the campaigns and the 527s. There is no significant evidence that the campaigns are coordinating their efforts with these groups.

What the Kerry campaign is trying to do is prove such coordination by pointing to Laura Bush's statement of the ads not being unfair.

If you'd care to tell me how this statement by the First Lady is evidence of the administration's support of the Swift Boat Groups I'm more than happy to discuss it. Otherwise, I have no interest in discussing alternative media universes in this thread. Feel free to start another on that topic if you wish.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73