1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Whisk(e)y (especially bourbon) - yeah!!!!

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Craven Morehead, Aug 28, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

2. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Thanks snowy, The bottle in that Sazerac link looks very stylish. I'd buy for that alone. I wonder how it tastes in comparison to regular rye (i.e. Canadian whisky)? I'll look on the shelves of the LCBO for it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  3. snowy

To be honest, I've never had it on its own--it's always been in a Sazerac. Sazerac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Bumped for reference.

5. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

My dad always drank rye and coke. I think he was a Canadian Club drinker.

While I do have a dwindling bottle of CC in my pantry, I used it for cooking.

When drinking, I am more a fan of Single Malt Scotch.

I have a few bottles in the pantry but my go to is Balveinie. I love the 21-year-old but it's expensive. I usually have the 12 in supply.

• Like Like x 1
  6. snowy

Balvenie is good. I wish I could afford more Scotch.

7. loquitur

loquitur Getting Tilted

I'm a single malt man myself, but I do occasionally enjoy other stuff. For Canadian, I like Alberta Springs. Bourbon offers many choices, but the one my friends really like is Widow Jane. For single malt, the single one I like best is Glendronach, in either 12, 15 or 18. Past that it gets really really pricey. But boy, is that stuff good -- full bodied, intensely flavored, very smooth.

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It's nearly winter. It's nearly the holidays. No post here since June?

Guys, please don't tell me you haven't been enjoying your whisk(e)y.... What better time than in the winter and over the holidays?

As noted in the "What are you drinking?" thread, I have been enjoying a bottle of Buffalo Trace recently. It's not my first foray into the world of bourbon, but it's pretty close. I didn't have bourbon until the TFP Summer of Madness, when those Americans made me drink it. (They twisted my rubber arm.) Though I can't remember what was (Jack Daniels?), and I don't think I had it without a mix.

Anyway, I like this Buffalo Trace stuff. It's different than what I'm used to. It's bolder than Crown Royal, and I otherwise drink Jameson on occasion, which is certainly lighter and on the spicy side of things.

Honestly, though, I haven't had much experience drinking whisk(e)y without mixes. That's changing, and fast. I've been going out of my way recently to drink it neat, and I find I really enjoy it. Now I want to broaden my horizon and explore whiskies of varying styles/characters.

So, yeah. Feel free to bombard me with advice and recommendations, but I'm also the type to do nerdy levels of research either way.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

My last few sips have been of Bulleit Bourbon.

10. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Pappy van Winkle found!!!!

11. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I have been going through my many nearly empty bottles of scotch. I am just cleaning the space of clutter.

Ya, organization, that's the ticket.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I first read that as Bullshit Bourbon.

13. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Seriously?

I am down to one unopened bottle.

I'd scoop that up in a heartbeat.

14. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Jim Beam boilermakers here

15. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I got my dad a bottle of Angel's Envy | Home for Christmas.
    I've only had it once and was very impressed.
    That and the bottle is very cool so my stepmother will be impressed.

16. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Pretend you live in Kentucky. It's crazy. I don't even drink bourbon or whiskey.

But it's coveted and available!

17. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

I fired off an email to Buffalo Trace (thanks for the advice Snowy) to see where I could find a bottle of their Rye Whisky. One of the few American distillers to produce it. But alas, it appears that I need to ACTUALLY go to the US to buy a bottle. It's not available here in Ontario. (I'm talking about their Sazerac Rye: Sazerac Rye | Buffalo Trace Distillery ) .

Meanwhile, I was at the Bushmill's distillery in Northern Ireland this past July and fully intended to buy a bottle of whisky, until I googled the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) website and discovered that it was actually cheaper to buy the single malt back home - which I did. I enjoyed a dram tonight.

I'm also enjoying another nice Irish single malt called Connemara peated single malt. That was a Christmas gift last year

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I like Balvenie 15 and Glenmorangie 18. But I've been known to enjoy Lagavulin, Bruichladdich, and Glen Garioch once in a while; and when I was in Britain, I found that I enjoyed Glenfarclas 15 and Glenkinchie 14, neither of which I have been able to find over here in the States.

I'll occasionally drink Irish whisky, of which my preferred label is Redbreast. A lovely beverage.

But I have never developed much of a taste for Bourbon/Sour Mash, or rye whiskies, nor for vodkas-- I've drunk them on various occasions, when nothing else of quality was available, but they're not my choice liquors. Generally speaking, if I'm going to drink a straight liquor that's not Scotch or Irish whisky, it's going to be rum.

Though it's not really a whisk(e)y, FWIW, my standard rum preference is Mount Gay Sugar Cane, or Mount Gay Extra Old-- and if I can't find Mount Gay, then 10 Cane is usually my more readily-available and more banal substitute. But if I can get them without having to mortgage a kidney to pay for the bottle, I like Pyrat Cask 23, Tortuga, Clarke's Court Old Grog, and Ron Botran Solera 1893.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I fully intend to gradually get into some aged rums.

20. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

It's just so fucking good....

• Like Like x 1