1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Whisk(e)y (especially bourbon) - yeah!!!!

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Craven Morehead, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Update - I told him it was his for the $400 + shipping. That's enough profit to pay for over 60% of my bottle.

2. raptor9k Vertical

I normally stick to makers or gentleman jack. This trip I picked up a bottle of four roses and was pleasantly surprised. Very smooth. Next on the list is their single barrel. I also plan to try woodford reserve and eagle rare.

3. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i tried woodford reserve and blantons back to back last night & like them both, but i think the carmel undertones in the blanton's i prefer. hard to say though, what with the vaporizer and all.

4. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i tried a woodford reserve high dollar bottle this weekend. not sure exactly what it was, but my host informed me it was one of their best. it seemed to have a very high proof which i wasn't used to. most whiskeys are typically 80-100? this was so strong i had to water it down and guess i couldn't appreciate the quality of it. even after watering it down it still had a harsh taste to me. i'm far from a bourbon expert though.

5. Doesn't sound like Woodford. It's 90 proof and very smooth.

6. Woodford Reserve is my drink of choice. Next best is Buffalo Trace.

7. Today's Woot is Whisky Rocks - set of 9 for $5.99

http://www.woot.com/

8. Borla

For the high end bourbon fans, this year's Pappy Van Winkle is just hitting (and rapidly flying off) the shelves of liquor stores near me. Most limit you to one bottle per person, and you have to specifically ask for it, but it's out there. For now. Grabbed a few bottles of the 23 myself to put away.

9. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I used to drink Evan Williams, then Jack Daniels and Jim Beam. Loved the bite, and drank it straight. For mixed drinks I used blended whiskeys, otherwise I feel guilty messing up bourbon like that.

I have to admit I have switched to Jameson's Irish whiskey as my drink of choice. Smooth and delicious. Also drunk straight.

I am now tempted to try some of the better brands of bourbon, so thanks for the suggestions.

10. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Beam wasn't on sale this year so we went with Evan Williams. It's a good bourbon for eggnog.

11. Fly

Fly music is the answer

actually.......been diggin' Bourbon quite a lot as of late........Jim Beam........

B&C's are good

12. Borla

I'm going to be down in the Louisville area for a couple days starting tomorrow. Pretty much bourbon central. Every time I'm down there (always for work) I wish I had more time to spend looking for and trying new bourbons, especially small batch stuff that may not be available nationally.

If anyone has any recommendations that I can look for, throw them out. :)

13. Borla

Unfortunately, both nights I was down there it was too late and I was too tired to venture downtown. The Galt House has some crazy good deals for staying overnight right now. There is a chance I have to go again this winter, I may just stay there next time.

14. Coming soon.....

[​IMG]

If I could I would 'like' this post. :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. I want some Bourbon.

That's all I really have to say. I drank a lot of it when I was in Cincinnati a few weeks ago.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

You Americans and your bourbon.

Is this thread just for bourbon, or does it also welcome discussions of other types of whiskey?

I mean, as a Canadian boy, I'm used to "rye whiskey," or "Canadian whiskey." However, unlike American rye whiskey, Canadian rye doesn't require 51% of the grain to be rye. It actually contains corn primarily, though not enough to make it a proper bourbon.

What say you? Can I play too, or what?

C'mon, Canadian Club is a whiskey worthy of any gentleman. It's even worthy of Don Draper for fuck's sake, gentleman or not....

• Like Like x 1
  17. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I don't know, Baraka_Guru. I love all whiskey--not equally, but I love them all the same. Some I love a little more.

I want some bourbon too now. I'm actually out of it at the moment. I finished off the last of the Evan Williams last week.

I have a feeling ZombieSquirrel will be able to acquire some bourbon once she reaches home.

18. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Americans need something to be proud of, so why not bourbon whiskey?

I have about a half bottle of Alberta Premium whiskey made from 100% rye mash. I'm not much of a drinker, and I've had this for several years. It was a gift from my great-uncle who likes to drink rye and tonic. He said it was too good for that so he re-gifted it to me.:)

Lindy

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I would kill for a good mint julep right now. Some blanton's and the mint I've been growing... Damn. The rain makes me crave weird things.