1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

I, Robot (totally different than the movie. The book explains how scientist discover certain robots are not working properly and how to resolve the issue while the film involves Will Smith acting like Will Smith going after evil robots trying to destroy the human race)

The Wind Through The Key Hole-Stephen King

2. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Are you enjoying the Wind Through the Keyhole? I liked the Billy-bumbler story within a story.
    I might give IRobot a chance, I need some new books.

3. redux

redux Very Tilted

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

That sounds like a fun read. I'll have to see if the library has it.

5. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  6. Jay

Jay Vertical

7. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

I have just finished Insomnia by Stephen King. I really enjoyed it.
    The more of his books I read, the more I appreciate the complexity of the Dark Tower series. I think I read the Dark Tower prematurely.
    I'm about to give Reality Dysfunction another go, by Peter F. Hamilton. It's the first in another trilogy, this one called the Night's Dawn trilogy.

I just realized this thread is called What bookS are you reading right now?
    I've also got these two on the go. Non-fiction self-help kinda books if I have to classify them...

Buddhist Boot Camp by Timber Hawkeye &
    F**k it, the Ultimate Spiritual Way by John C. Parkin

8. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

fifty nine in '84 - Old Hoss Radbourn, bare-handed baseball, and the great season a pitcher ever had
    Edward Achorn

9. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i'm reading edward gibbon's decline and fall of the roman empire.
    it seems appropriate to our times.

julio cortazar's from the observatory.

10. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I recently finished Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn. I completely devoured it, but the ending was baffling, and I wasn't really a fan. Total mind fuck.

Allegiant came out yesterday...it's the third book in the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. I'm finding it hard to get into, probably because I read the first two books back in July, and I've forgotten a lot of the details.

11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm 20 pages from the end of The Eye of the World. (Yes, Levite, I did pick it up again with the intention to finish it.) The last third is much better than the first two. If the first two thirds weren't so excruciating, the book wouldn't be that bad, and I'd be tempted to read the rest of the series. As it is, I don't think I'll have the tenacity to tackle this as a series. I'm mixed on my thoughts about this book. I want to say it was okay, and that I even enjoyed it at parts, but there was far too much that grated on my nerves that may have simply ruined it for me. I think I may view it as a tragic "could have been great" kind of book. Like if it had a decent (i.e., heavy-handed) editor.

On deck: The Dragonbone Chair, the first novel in Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy. It's another long epic fantasy in the same fashion as Jordan's book, but I've heard good things about it (without nearly as many of the bad things that Jordan's gets). I'm going to look at this as a litmus test of whether I should continue to explore epic fantasy as a subgenre.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  12. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

*Sigh.*

Props for finishing the book. I guess we'll just agree to disagree about it. As the Hebrew proverb goes, al ta'am v'reyach ein l'hitvakeyach ("There can be no quarrels about taste and smell," in other words, you just like what you like, and don't like what you don't like).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baraka_Guru

Honestly though: I really enjoyed the last third. I thought back to my previous experiences with the book, and it was like I was reading different book.

I dunno. Maybe my mood has changed, or maybe I went into the rest of the book with proper expectations.

Do you notice a difference between the different parts of the book? Or am I imagining things? It's like Jordan became a better writer as he went along with it.

14. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I can't say I recall any difference off the top of my head. I think his books got better flow as the series progressed, but just within the first book, I don't recall much change.

15. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Over the summer I finished both A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons (Books 4 and 5 in Geo. R.R. Martin's book series A Song Of Ice & Fire).
    A Feast for Crows was at times difficult for me to get through as my interest would flag and I'd have to push through. I renewed it so many times from the library that I finally bought a copy which is ironic, because it is my least favourite in the series so far.

A Dance With Dragons was actually pretty good, probably because with the exception of Daenerys, I enjoy the characters more (than the ones in AFFC). Watching the TV adaption of the book series helps in that I do picture some of the characters in their more comely, televised incarnations. I just wanted to slap Dany with ever thought she had/words she spoke, though.

I've been trying to find a new comic book series to get into. My latest attempt will be The Sandman : The Dream Hunters / original words by Neil Gaiman.
    I've never read anything by Neil Gaiman and am curious.

Also, I've not read anything by Margaret Atwood so I've got In Other Worlds : SF and the Human Imagination on hold and ready to pick up at the library as well as The Year of the Flood : A Novel. Still waiting for anything by Alice Munro to come in.

16. Baraka_Guru

A Feast for Crows is just that. Or a dog's breakfast, whatever.

I wish I read the last two books this way: ALL LEATHER MUST BE BOILED: A new reader–friendly combined reading order for A Feast for Crows & A Dance with Dragons

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  18. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I'm trying to read the Duck Dynasty book, but I'm finding it a painful read

Also a new Mary Kay Andrews book - again just not in the mood.

I go through cycles of reading lots of stuff and then nothing.

I did recently read Glamour mag - enlightening. No really!

19. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'm going for light fare right now, a new DnD Forgotten Realms fantasy series called "The Sundering" based on the group with Drizzt Do'Urden,
    reincarnated to keep up with his long-life of elf years and another adventure...with new skills and powers to make it a twist.

The first book "The Companions" is written by R.A. Salvatore and each progressive book is written by a different author.
    I'm on the 2nd, "The Godborn"...they're releasing the following 4 about every 3 months...so I should be happy camper for awhile.

I'm also diving back into the Mathematician history book, "God created the Integers", edited by Stephen Hawking.
    It's the kind of book that you can only absorb a bit at a time...triggers much to chew on.

20. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

In America, a novel by Susan Montag.

It's about an actress, a diva in her home country of Poland, who decides to attempt to extend her career to the US, a decision over which she anguishes ad nauseum. Ms. Montag writes way too many run on sentences and paragraphs, and the pace is painfully slow. I'm only about 70 pages into it, but if something interesting doesn't happen soon, I'm going bail, which I very rarely do once I start a book.

--------------------------------------------------

one fine day in the middle of the night, a novel by Christopher Brookmyre.

The book is set in Broommyre's home country of Scotland. Talk about a fast start. By page 22 four soldiers of fortune have been killed, three shot, one accidently (sort of) by a rocket from a rocket launcher (that happens while they're getting aquainted), and a retired policeman gets coldcocked by a flying arm as he's walking home.
    Don't get the wrong impression, although there is plenty of violence in the book, Brookmyre doesn't make it gory, he manages to make it funny. Well, some parts are a bit gory, but only a wee bit. I wrote that silly bit to give you an idea of some of the humor in the book, Brookmyre does a much better job.

Nutshell. An egotistical developer invites some of his former classmates to a class reunion to be held on his latest project, an oil rig being converted into a luxury resort. Many personal interactions occur. A group of hired mercenaries launches an attack on the rig. Many things go wrong, very wrong.

I also have two other novels by Brookmyre. I'm really looking forward to reading them.