1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Things in the news

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Tiger snake found in Tasmania with 'grotesque' spine diagnosed with rare disease - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The news article claims Rocky has got international attention, so I thought I'd post it here & help make the story true...

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

A woman I worked with had her son in a Zero Tolerance school district, and her boyfriend's son was in the same district. Some of the rules were totally ludicrous--no talking/complete silence in the hallways between classes for example--and led to many disciplinary actions. The biggest problem with the DAs was that the accumulation of "offenses" under ZT led to actions that should've applied only to serious offenders. Basically students who were being typical teenagers--PITAs, yes, but not juvenile criminals--wound up at the campus for problem students.

I sympathize with schools trying to boot students who cause serious problems, but Zero Tolerance isn't the answer.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Zero tolerance is lazy policy.

It makes the administrator's jobeasywhen it comes to discipline. No interpretation necessary. No context is valid.

If we had rules like this when I was I kid I would have been expelled quite a few times. Instead, I had a Vice Principal that would listen to me, look at my record and came to his own conclusions that maybe I was not a bad kid, just a kid dealing with a teacher having a bad day, or whatever.

• Like Like x 4
  5. redux

redux Very Tilted

Second Harper Lee novel to be published in Jue

"To Kill a Mockingbird" will certainly be a hard act to folllow.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Chris Noyb

7. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Agreed.

8. redux

redux Very Tilted

A new streaming service of old TV and movies launched today.

ShoutFactoryTV

9. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Different political party... Same shit.

Tony Abbott: Defiant PM says he and Julie Bishop will 'stand together' to defeat leadership spill motion - Liberal Leadership turmoil - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I wonder who will be the Australian Prime Minister this time next week...

10. healer

healer Extra Medium

I absolutely hate politics, quite simply because I think politicians make things a lot harder than they actually are. But when they can't even get the basics right, I get so pissed off I almost stop caring. And that's exactly what I think they're hoping for.

Johannesburg, one of Africa's economic powerhouses, can't keep the lights on or the water running or the buses in the streets.

The State of the Nation address is coming up...I can already see how these issues are going to get glossed over.

11. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

A dramatic turn of events for the snake "Rocky" I mentioned in post #461...

'Lumpy' snake Rocky stolen from reptile handler's home in Tasmania

'Lumpy' snake Rocky stolen from reptile handler's home in Tasmania - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

12. redravin

So the Oklahoma Legislature has voted to ban high school AP history classes because they don't teach 'American exceptionalism' and is part of an effort to 'distort and deliberately edit facts'.

Oklahoma Lawmakers Vote Overwhelmingly To Ban Advanced Placement U.S. History | ThinkProgress

I'm pretty sure the next step is to ban college.
    After all that might make the kids think!
    And maybe not vote the 'right' way.

13. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Oklahoma is pretty much the heart of darkness these days.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Noyb

I have a lot of family ties to Oklahoma, and it pains me to admit it, but there are a lot of ignorant people in OK who don't want any real history to be taught in school. I don't have a problem with people having a strong belief in God and the U.S.A., but let's keep God out of education and acknowlege that the US made & makes many mistakes.

The really sad news that kind of thinking isn't limited to OK. It's present in many states, including Texas.

I wonder what the history classes are like at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, OK.

15. Street Pattern

Right, but Texas has some political diversity, a lot of opinions and perspectives. Texas has Austin and Houston and Dallas and El Paso and Galveston and Port Arthur and San Antonio, and all of those places are different.

By contrast, every part of Oklahoma always votes for extreme right-wing candidates. It's the ONLY state where Barack Obama has never won even a single county.

The Oklahoma legislature doesn't seem to have any dissenters to Jerry Falwell/Pat Robertson view of the world. It's a lot easier for Oklahoma legislators to vote for know-nothing proposals when there's literally nobody standing up for science and reason.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  16. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

me too, hell my parents told me to get out and don't come home till supper time. society has changed so much, I kw in my heart I just don't fit in.
    --- merged: Feb 18, 2015 at 8:51 PM ---
    Street Pattern said:
    Oklahoma is pretty much the heart of darkness these days.​
    You being a politician should know what the heart of darkness really fucking is. I am sure that you look Satan himself in the fucking mirror while doing your mornings constitutions. further more just like a fucking politician you swathed a wide berth there with your brush about all Oklahomans. you must've been drunk or high to make such a stupid statement.​

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  17. Street Pattern

I didn't say anything about "all Oklahomans". I have friends there.

However, the majority of the voters in Oklahoma have certainly elected some very fervent individuals to responsible positions.

18. redux

redux Very Tilted

HAL wins: Computer program bests humans at "Space Invaders'

19. redux

redux Very Tilted

CookieCott 2015

Pro-life groups behind the boycott say Thin Mints help fund "sexual and reproductive health services."
    I love my Thin Mints!

20. redravin

They go after the Girl Scouts every year.
    If it isn't for this kind of BS it's for them being accepting of transgender and gay kids.
    Screw them and the horses they rode in on.

• Like Like x 2