1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Things in the news

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

This makes me kinda mad. How can they justify wasting 10million litres of water?
    Portland ditches 140 million litres of drinking water after teenager caught urinating in reservoir - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Craig Ferguson Quits Late Late Show :(

Man, this sucks balls (as Craig would say)

They say all the entertainers like going on his show because he doesn't treat it like an interview.
    I agree, they seem more comfortable & relaxed on there...and it's funny as hell.

3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I forget when Craig signed his current four year (?) deal with CBS, 2013 probably, but he used to always say that he wouldn't sign another contract to do the LLS. But he did. And now he's getting out of the contract. Hmmmm.

If you haven't read it, you should: Craig Ferguson, American On Purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

5. jillymayr

jillymayr New Member

where's that news about the girl graduating from college and high school at the same time?

6. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Mars One Pares Down Its List of Red Planet Settlers to 705 - NBC News

7. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

1500 Year Old Bible Claims Jesus Christ Was Not Crucified – Vatican In Awe |

8. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

9. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

British earl Hugh Lowther selling mountain to pay tax bill - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

10. Is America Doomed?

They were talking about "America's Report Card" on NPR. Only 40% of 12th graders read "at or above" grade level and 69% of 12th graders failed the math test. John Stewart always jokes about "our future Chinese Overlords"; Maybe we should all start learning Mandarin?

• Like Like x 1
  11. OtherSyde

I think you're pretty much right... A quick Google search shows our pathetic place on the ranks of education around the world. You know how small India is compared to the entire U.S.? It's only roughly a third of the size of the entire U.S. - but as of way back in 2009 they had more honor students than America has students, period (a Google search finds several videos claiming this, dating back to the end of the MySpace era). I wonder where it stands now? America needs to get its ass in gear and stop handing consolation prizes - kids' artificially-inflated self esteem is not going to slow its fall from grace.

12. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Well, yeah, in geographical area. But India has far more people.

It's like saying New York City (305 square miles) is tiny compared to Wyoming (almost 98,000 square miles).

But NYC has more than 14 times as many people as Wyoming.

13. OtherSyde

That's true. I'd still be willing to wager a bet that India is still spanking us when it comes to their net output of doctors and lawyers though.

14. Street Pattern

No argument with that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

16. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

King Richard III to be buried in Leicester, resolving row after remains were found in carpark in 2012 - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

17. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

China's fake Sphinx to be demolished | SBS News

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Street Pattern

Surely, the copyright on the Sphinx has expired by now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Suspended Animation Human Trials About to Begin | I Fucking Love Science

20. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7mS5s5EQ0Ng/T4_RN64HXbI/AAAAAAAAAtg/FT9hjgvCxOc/s1600/headlight+wiper.jpg

What an idiot.

I've been annoyed by cyclists before. Typically by ones that I've almost taken out because they ran red lights without so much as slowing down. I'm fine with sharing the road with them, I just prefer they meet us drivers halfway by also obeying the rules of the road. ;)

That said, I see nothing in those video clips that the cyclists did wrong. Bright light at night to be visible, bright colors during the day, they seemed to edge over as far as was reasonable to make it easier to pass, etc. The guy just makes himself look ignorant and malicious IMO.