1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Things in the news

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Jul 2, 2013.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

This interactive shows the devastation of the mudslide in Washington State well. The good weather on Sunday and Monday solidified the mud and has made it hard to look for survivors. Thankfully, the Stillaguamish River seems to be cutting a new channel through the debris flow that blocked its course, so flash flooding downstream is less likely: Interactive: Before and after the 530 mudslide | Local News | The Seattle Times

What's really scary is that this is not the only unstable hillside around, and we're receiving a lot of rain at the moment. It's rather horrifying to think about it.

2. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Vatican No. 3 Finds Blame Within in Abuse Scandal - ABC News

3. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Japan ordered to immediately stop whaling in Antarctic as International Court of Justice rules program was not carried out for scientific purposes - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Blast Sensors Detect More Asteroid Strikes Than Expected - NBC News
    I liked this quote,

• Like Like x 1
  5. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

WA senate re-run election: Greens, PUP big winners | SBS News

6. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

7. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

NASA Explains Martian Flash, and It's Not What You Think
    NASA Explains Martian Flash, and It's Not What You Think - NBC News

8. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Warning issued after Aussies top list of illegal downloaders of Game of Thrones | SBS News

9. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Designer Alex Perry apologises for his use of extremely thin model at Fashion Week - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Designer Alex Perry apologises for his use of extremely thin model at Fashion Week

10. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Vinegar makes box jellyfish stings worse, Australian researchers say - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

11. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Australia's major sporting codes commit to ending homophobia ahead of Bingham Cup - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

12. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

This story has been all over Australian news for weeks now, I don't know if it's been making news elsewhere in the world? But I heard the latest evidence developments and had to share it.

A background story;
    Peter Greste: Australian Al Jazeera journalist again denied bail after returning to court in Egypt - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

And a quote from a story about the latest evidence;
    Off-topic evidence brought in Australian journalist Peter Greste's case in Cairo | brisbanetimes.com.au

• Like Like x 1
  13. redux

redux Very Tilted

The KFC Chicken Corsage

14. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Viewing Guide: Watch Moon Turn Red During Total Lunar Eclipse

• Like Like x 1
  15. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

*sigh* rain.

16. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Rain, and the cool front that arrived with it, probably the last one we'll have until November. We had one hell of a windstorm earlier this afternoon.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  17. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

'Earth's Cousin': Scientists Find Alien Planet That's Most Like Home - NBC News

• Like Like x 1
  18. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

OMG I saw this in the news today! And immediately developed a huge throbbing erection, cause this is some amazing sciency stuff! Great post!

19. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Glad you liked it
    And keeping with the sciency theme, these attracted my attention over the weekend...

Milky Way origins probed as Australian Astronomical Observatory unveils high-tech HERMES tool - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Church of Facebook? Cyberspace Inspires New Visions of Heaven - NBC News
    Depp Impact: The Science Behind 'Transcendence' - NBC News

20. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.