1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Things in the news

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

2. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

BBC News - Iraq militants 'killed by own bomb'

3. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

BBC News - Cover up or be locked up: Naked justice in Hainan

• Like Like x 1
  4. (Crack down on a nudist beach - snigger snigger) (In a previous life, I may have been a small school boy)

5. Borla

• Like Like x 1
  6. Borla

7. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

No Cookies | Herald Sun

8. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

SA man shot in 'stupid' dare | SBS News

9. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

• Like Like x 1
  10. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I can't believe it's been three years. I have a few friends who live in Tokyo, and I was very glad for Facebook that day. Everyone was fine in the end, thankfully.

12. snowy

Holy shit, this is not far from where I grew up: Three dead, about 18 still missing after Washington mudslide - Chicago Sun-Times

The river in question flows right through the town I grew up in. I hope the Weather Service is right--most of town is in the floodplain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

14. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Snowy, I hope that the folks in your your old stomping grounds made it through OK.

• Like Like x 1
  15. snowy

The issue now is that the river is rising behind a dam of mud across the Stillaguamish, and if it breaks, there could be flash flooding downstream. A large part of my hometown is in the floodplain.

16. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Water buffalo on the loose in Newtown | smh.com.au
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

'Pre-eminent' Australians to be made knights or dames under a new award, PM Tony Abbott says - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

17. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

On Friday, Bernard Friedman, a federal district judge in Detroit struck down Michigan's prohibition on same-sex marriage. That decision took effect immediately.

On Saturday, in four Michigan counties, about 300 LGBT couples were married.

On Saturday evening, the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals put a temporary "stay" on Judge Friedman's ruling, reinstating the prohibition on same-sex marriage.

Tonight, a 3-judge panel decided, by a 2-1 vote, to continue the stay during the pendency of the appeal.

Which is to say: indefinitely.

:-(

18. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

:mad:

Did this ruling speak to whether the couples that had gotten married before the stay went into effect will retain their marriage licenses?

19. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Not a word.

As far as I'm concerned, every one of those licenses is completely valid.
    --- merged: Mar 25, 2014 at 10:19 PM ---

Split Appeals Court Rules No More Michigan Same-Sex Marriages During Appeal

I just re-read the opinion, and it makes me angrier than ever.

The two judges in the majority applied the traditional test for an injunction, and decided that the state's motion PASSED that test.

Likelihood of success on the merits? Really? When the state was unable to produce ANY credible testimony to support a rational basis for prohibiting same-sex marriage?

Irreparable harm? Who exactly is being HARMED by people getting married to each other?

What absolute, total horseshit.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 2