1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Things in the news

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Very dumb.

There is no qualifying test to become a licensed criminal. There are no entrance requirements and very little training available.

Street criminals are young, poor, impulsive, stupid, and in a hurry.

Crimes like armed robberies are rarely ever well thought out in advance.

2. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

3. Street Pattern

Prison inmates typically have a lot of time on their hands. Some of them while away that time by filing bizarre legal papers.

A prison inmate I had never had any dealings with, never even met, once sued me and a co-defendant in federal court for one hundred trillion dollars.

That's about six times the US national debt.

My co-defendant was the Ku Klux Klan.

Yet, oddly, neither I nor the KKK were mentioned in the complaint itself. Rather, it was a litany of grievances against the prison system.

I was never served with any notice of this lawsuit. Rather, the judge, in a written opinion, prohibited the plaintiff from filing lawsuits without the court's permission.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Borla

6. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  7. hamsterball

8. nun has a 'virgin birth'

Nun 'unaware' she was pregnant

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. hamsterball

10. Street Pattern

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

One of Canada's federal party leaders, Justin Trudeau of the Liberals, just eviscerated the partisanship of the Senate. A third of Canadian senators just became independents. Independents now make up about 40% of seats (accounting for vacant seats).

Realize that Canadian senators are appointed (by the PM essentially), not elected.

I'm not yet sure what all this will mean. I hope it will lead to further senate reform at least.

Trudeau orders Liberal senators to sit as independents | canada.com

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Man, I think Justin Trudeau must be the hottest politician ever.

13. Borla

Atlanta mayor defends using emergency lanes in jam - Yahoo News

I don't get the huge deal, or why he is getting ripped so hard for this.

His traveling a few miles didn't impact anyone else it seems. He used emergency lanes, never made any emergency vehicles move, didn't hold any up, and didn't use any resources that would otherwise have been used to deal with the weather situation. He did however get the chance to make a public plea as to how people should respond to the situation using a means that a huge portion of the impacted people would have access to. Seems reasonable to me.

14. hamsterball

I agree, but right now the people of Atlanta are hopping mad and a lot of that anger is being directed at the Mayor. He's being perceived as having dropped the ball in a big way.

15. Borla

I guess he should've invented a weather controller, eh? :D

16. hamsterball

It wasn't the weather per se. The perception is that he didn't have a good emergency management system in place. I saw an estimate that up to a million vehicles were dumped into the Atlanta highways in a very short span, starting the traffic overload.

He also made the PR blunder of sending out a tweet in the morning stating that Atlanta was ready for the storm.

And let's face it. Most Atlantans aren't used to dealing with snow.

It may be a perception issue, but a lot of Atlantans are pretty pissed from what I hear. There's also a lot of anger being directed at the governor of Georgia, too.

I'm glad I'm safely ensconced in the Philly area, where we don't waste time. We start panicking way before a snow storm hits. It's much more efficient that way. :D

17. Borla

I get the frustration.

But guess what we'd be hearing about 90% of the rest of the time if Atlanta actually spent the money to be prepared for the "once every 10 years" storm like that they get? :p

• Like Like x 1
  18. hamsterball

Can't argue there. There's no real way to win that if you're a politician. :)

19. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

So this is all over the morning shows today...

Teen turns star witness in Chris Lane murder case | smh.com.au
    The murder was almost 6 months ago, but the trial is now and one of the three accused has turned witness for the prosecution