1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The Hobbit Film Discussion.

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Clockwork Gigolo, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

He does a bang-up job.

2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Just saw the "interview" Stephen Colbert did with Smaug. It was very well done, but more importantly to me was the first time I have seen this new take on the classic character. Looks good and excellent choice for the voice.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Wow. I just realized that The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is out today!

I've been so caught up in other things that I totally didn't realize how late in December we are already.

Now to figure out when the first viewing will be. :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Actually, I think they did a great job of it.
    Lots of action.
    Fleshed out the plot well.

Just suspend your thoughts of science, this is grand fantasy. :cool:

And IMHO, no need to see it in 3D...actually in this case, I'd think it takes away from it. Too much going on.

5. Speed_Gibson

I wanted to watch the first film last week but couldn't find it in Redbox. I would prefer to see it on the big cinema screen for a proper introduction to this expanded take that somehow pulls a huge battle out of a much thinner literary source (yes I realise they had the LOTR and the other material Tolkien wrote to reference).

6. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I saw this on Friday. I am not sure how I felt. I am partly convinced that better special effects take away from story telling. The girl elf added nothing to the original story. Nor Legolas' dad telling him to go search for X at the end did not make any sense!

7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I read the Hobbit a few years ago before they had announced they were making a movie. I even read part of the book at the Shire in Matamata, New Zealand. :) But, I was happy with how the movies came out. It will be interesting to see if they try to create a new story or do a spin-off of some part in the next few years.

8. rogue49

The Silmarillion :cool:

9. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Unless Christopher Tolkien and the rest of the family change their minds, and that seems unlikely, there will be no sequels, prequels, or otherwise.

10. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I have really enjoyed, the Hobbit trilogy, also of coarse The Lord of the Rings. all of them are worth the money at least once.

11. rogue49

Actually, I've liked watching them at home...HDTV and DVR.

Being able to rematch scenes with better resolution than the movies, the level of detail is amazing.
    You've got to admire the effort they put into them.

And being to able to quickly jump back to rehear a phrase or two...much less pause in the long movie.

12. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I found that I could understand more of the details in the story when watching it a second time.

13. Speed_Gibson

The film is off to an uninspiring start, hopefully it gets better. Going with the flashback thing makes sense.
    --- merged: Feb 27, 2015 at 9:27 PM ---
    Having The Doctor in this movie as a wizard was an excellent choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  14. Speed_Gibson

Alrighty, a quick review.
    Not bad but too long. Too many battle/fighting scenes and too much padding (or "foreshadowing" in some cases if you prefer). 30-40 minutes less would have been better. The version I saw was 2 hours, 49 minutes; no idea if that was the theatrical or director's cut.
    --- merged: Feb 28, 2015 at 7:34 PM ---
    Good advice, I still think the first film fails on a few levels as a grand fantasy.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015
  15. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

I enjoyed the the Hobbit trilogy far more then the Lord of the Rings. Not that I didn't like LofR, I just thought the movies dragged in to many places, They tried to so are for the drama instead of just letting the story flow like it should. There's not much of the in the Hobbit, the drama doesn't hit you like a hammer but is woven easily into the story. Although I thought 5 armies was a bit of a let down. still good, just not as grand as the book.

16. rogue49

How could anything named "Battle of the 5 Armies" be anything but a let-down??? The whole name and concept is a setup.
    Actually I liked it, despite the whole defying gravity thing.
    But it is Middle Earth, less gravity...he was an elf, less mass. :rolleyes: