1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The Hobbit Film Discussion.

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Clockwork Gigolo, Aug 1, 2011.

1. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Stupid Australia. Doesn't open here until Boxing Day :(

2. Alistair Eurotrash

Well, it's quite long, easy to become immersed in, sometimes drags a little (for me, anyway) and I have mixed feelings on the 3D (some of it worked very well and some just made me feel a little dizzy).

I'm no purist, but I enjoyed it.

3. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I found the 3D off-putting for most of it though its effect was awesome and enjoyable when it was employed in scenes 3D was made for.

It was long (close to 2 1/2 hours) but didn't feel that long at all, which tells me I wasn't bored, at least.

But there was something slightly disappointing about it. Something I haven't yet been able to put my finger on. I'll have to process it all a bit more.

I'll be interested to hear how others find it.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Well, I was going to see it with my hubs today but he has a lab meeting. So we're going Sunday morning. I'm debating as to whether or not we'll see it in 3D. I've only seen 3D movies at home, and something about it just doesn't appeal to me.

5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I've heard that the 48fps version is supposed to be superior because the CGI frame rates come out cleaner. I won't matter in dialogue scenes, but will in many others.

6. snowy

I'd have to drive 45 minutes to see it in 48fps, and that theater is right by one of the big malls. That's a no go this time of year.

48 fps Theater List - 48 FPS Movies

7. cynthetiq

No bar too far, a beer is always near... wait that's not for movies. Well it could be if there's a bar near the movie theater!

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Some have been saying that the 48 FPS version makes it look like a BBC production, and that you see sets, not Middle-Earth.

9. snowy

Not really...just Olive Garden and Red Robin. Standard mall stuff.

10. cynthetiq

I can't see how that would translate on the CGI aspect of it. Maybe in the dialogue portions where the actors are actually in sets. I will see it in 48FPS because I'm film nerdy that way.

11. Got tickets for the Saturday matinee, and the theater is on the 48fps list... and they serve alcohol.

Where's that damned "thumbs up" emoticon?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Baraka_Guru

But that's the thing. You have to watch the CGI bits with the actors' bits all in 48 FPS.

Should You See The Hobbit in High Frame Rate, 48 FPS 3-D? Let the Critics Help You Decide - Hollywood Prospectus Blog - Grantland

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  13. cynthetiq

I'm still reserved on it. I liked watching digital editions of Ep 1, 2, 3 and many other films. It gave a surreal quality to them removing the scratches and edit pops. I also believe that directors who pick and choose technology for presentation of their film do so with some peril. This goes way back to Cinemascope. I still kick myself for not going to that Cinemascope screening of How the West Was Won back when I was a kid in Hollywood.

Avatar in IMAX 3D was the only way that movie was as crazy as it could be. Seeing it on the small screen does little for me on subsequent viewings. When they released it again in that format, I saw it in the theater a 2nd time. A first for me in my adult life.

I like tech, I like films. I like blending it all together.

14. Baraka_Guru

cynthetiq

If I see the 48 FPS version, it will only be on a second viewing.

15. cynthetiq

I don't think I'll get a 2nd chance at seeing it in the theater. I will get a 2nd chance at seeing a 24fps version at home.

16. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am going to see it this afternoon in 2D at 24fps. Key to my enjoyment will be the very large recliner and table service that comes with Gold Class. Nothing like having a pint whilst watching a film.

(they come in pints?!)

• Like Like x 4
  17. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

Been waiting for this movie for a long time. I kinda had a feeling it would be bloated. three movies from one book. and Jackson did show in King Kong that he can drag a scene to the point of the audience saying "Enough already, get on with the movie". and I never been a fan of the 48fps technique, everything looks so staged and unreal it spoils the illusion a good movie is suppose to produce. So I walked in with two strikes against it.

But WOW!! the Hobbit, Is just an awesome movie. beautifully crafted and wonderfully told. Not bloated at all. I opted for the usual 24 instead of the 48 (Which AMC calls High Frame on the ticket) in 3D. The 3D complemented it very well. And just like LOTR Jackson was not only very true to the book, but also to his original vision of middle earth. the characters, the language, everything. just like LOTR. Now he did add his own parts to tie it in with the Lord of the Rings. But did it in a way that it didn't interfere with the movie at all in fact it actually added to the flavor. Now the goblin battle may seem bloated to some. but being an old hand at AD&D. I can tell you that's exactly how goblins battles happen in the game.

Hobbit moves much faster then Fellowship did. but didn't have a rushed feel to it. Now I've read the books, played the RPG game, even own a copy of the 70's cartoon of The Hobbit. so I'm no stranger to the story line. But still Jackson had me wondering what was going to happen next. And although it's a prequel of LOTR. it's completely separate. So even if you didn't like Rings, you'll would still probably enjoy this film. And finally, The music was great, from the background tunes to the "Misty Mountains" song (Which was a big hit with hardcore fans) was written by Howard Shore, the same guy who wrote the score for almost all of the LOTR movies. And just like Rings it all complemented the film perfectly (I'm actually listening to the soundtrack off of YouTube while I'm writing this) I haven't played AD&D in years, but after seeing this movie, I'm very tempted to dust off my character sheets and bring my dice bag out of retirement.

Let me close by saying that this movie is an worthy addition to the Jackson middle-earth legacy. well done Peter, well done indeed.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  18. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

If I'd had the choice, which I didn't, I wouldn't have chosen 3D. One of the things I enjoyed about LOTR was the shots of the incredible landscapes. With the 3D, the landscape and background are often compromised (completely out of focus) when the camera chooses to focus on individuals in front.

Then again, there are some scenes I would not have enjoyed nearly as much, had they not been in 3D.
    --- merged: Dec 15, 2012 4:27 AM ---
    That's a good way to explain the effect.
    --- merged: Dec 15, 2012 4:37 AM ---
    Read this after I posted my lame review. I had no idea that there was something else called 48 FPS disrupting my viewer experience. I thought it was all the fault of the 3D.

I think these guys have nailed it. I'm glad to see my assessment that something is....amisss preciouss... is fully supported by the mostly ignored professional reviewer community.

I'm hoping Peter Jackson will pay attention and film the next two installments differently.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
  19. Maybe I am not as perceptive as some others. I just came from seeing the 48 fps 3d movie, and I don't share any of the complaints some others have expressed.

I thought it was beautifully presented, in both a visual and storytelling sense. I did not see sets and staging, I saw Middle Earth. I never felt that the story lagged. Nearly 3 hours? I thought it flew by. I am ready for the next installment NOW!

OK... one thing... I am acrophobic. A couple of scenes... :eek:

20. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

Yeah, the whole Radagast scene was kinda creepy. But I loved how Jackson worked him into the story.