1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The Complaining and Bitching Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ASU2003, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I hate to break the mood in a bitching and whining thread but:

A-Basin has a 76" base and it's still dumping. Shit that never gets adequate coverage is skiable. Epic powder, this year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I don't know why I am up. Oh well.

3. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

Final snow total for my area: 19 inches, with the overnight stuff still to be cleared.

My company is opening a hour late.

I put my keen analytical mind to this scenario and came up with the most logical conclusion: Fuck it.

I'm taking a snow day. :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. hamsterball

Freedom!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. hamsterball

For @Fremen. The stalactite has grown overnight. It's now hovering a bout 3-4 feet off the ground.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

That's too bad these things are exposed to the elements, that would make a base for a great dessert, for kids at least.

7. hamsterball

Grabbed a picture for @Fremen. It's relatively warm (upper 30s) so this might not last much longer.

Its mate on the other side has already come down.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fuck everything, but fuck you the most.
    Fuck everyone, but fuck you the most.
    With a big rusty pole, or a splintery post,
    Fuck you the most, fuck you.

Domino.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hamsterball

Well, this is a nice change of pace...it's snowing again

10. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

insane in the membrane... :rolleyes:

the scary part...I'm better off than many.

11. Haven't left this lab in 22 hours. Still not even halfway done with everything I need to do by tonight.

If you see this message, send reinforcements.

And beer. Lots and lots of beer.

12. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Massive pointy killer icicles are falling both in back and front of my home. The dog just nearly got impaled. I love this freeze, melt, snow a shiteload, freeze, melt, repeat thing. I wish it were like this year-round.

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

After losing out on 28 bids, and while still having 20 bids in the pipeline to potentially lose out on, I have officially given up wasting time on Elance, hoping to land an underpaid job.

14. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

If it makes you feel any better...in the past year, my previous company won a bid for the US Fed govt, that was submitted 3 years ago.
    And they submit bids left & right which they lose out on month after month.
    And this is a company that has existed over 30 years.

I've done Sologig and other contractor/freelancer sites again & again...it's a crapshoot.
    But when they do hit, it's nice money.
    Personally, I try to cover all the bases...a FT job, off-hours contracting...plus my own business
    AND partnering with others (both true partners and other larger firms)

Mostly, it's about getting them to do their part...or keep them from stealing ideas and profiting on their own.
    That and kicking myself in the ass, after the FT work and other outside obligations to keep things moving forward.

Don't give up...sooner or later, you'll make something happen. (just make sure you keep your own end up too for yourself too)
    Statistically, they say that on avg. most millionaire/billionaires go bankrupt 2.5 times before making it & stabilizing.
    The trick is don't be one of those guys that do go under.

--------------

Now for my own complainin' & bitchin'...
    Arrgh...doesn't anyone make decent browsers anymore??? (or sites/pages that are fully compatible with them...)
    Now they all don't work...Opera, Firefox, Chrome, Safari...and IE.
    Hell, even Microsoft has stated they don't support some IE versions with Microsoft apps (IE is a Microsoft product!!!)
    I keep play switch hit with the top 5 browsers, seeing which works. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  15. girldetective

girldetective Getting Tilted

Quit barking in my brain you mangy cur.
    Fuck you, jem.

16. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Oh, I'm not giving up giving up. I'm giving up Elance. It's really scraping from the bottom of the barrel, and I'm not about to leap in face first in desperation as it seems a lot of freelancers do on there. I really don't get it. I was simply looking to fill in some time gaps I have with some small/easy jobs, despite the lower value. I just didn't realize it was all so really low value.

I have sunk several hours in there now, and as I've said I haven't seen a bite in nearly fifty attempts. I was reading some articles about getting clients on Elance, and they're all, like, "Oh, hang in there. You'll get your first job after ten or fifteen bids."

The problem: Low (really low) bids get the job. What's frustrating is that I've even lost bids where I thought that I among the most qualified and reasonably priced (on Elance, that is)—for business-oriented editing jobs that get relatively few bidders (less than fifteen instead of sixty to eighty). I've seen really small jobs (like $25 total) go to guys clearly less qualified than me, but perhaps the client wanted to go with an American instead of a Canadian, or a writer instead of an editor (see my previous rant).

I think the latter is a big issue. I see a lot of bids going to folks who are all, like, "Oh, I'm a writerly fucking wordsmith, yo! Look at my overwrought words, bitch! I can edit the fuck out of your words, and I'll make them the bomb, yo!" Translation: I'm an awesome editor because I'm an awesome writer. (To me, they appear to be neither.) I think a lot of people buy into that. I have no writing/publication credits, and I think that kills my (perceived) value as an editor on Elance.

I mean, seriously. I think I'm the only editor on there I've seen who lists actual book publishing industry experience. I normally charge around $35 an hour. I've charged as much as $100 an hour. But on Elance? I can't get paid $10.

Anyway, I'm doing more in meatspace. I need to network more face to face, with other editors and with writers. I'm going to a meeting with a writers' association this week, so I'll test the waters of going in as an editor to where writers congregate. I will be showing up more at events in general. They start up this spring and continue into the fall. I need to be more visible.

Who knows? Maybe I'll even start showing up at business/industry events and prove to all those suits that they write garbage.

They need me.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

My hand really fucking hurts.
    And that's all I'm going to say about that.

18. hamsterball

Man, I'm sorry to hear that, @noodle. I've had a couple of lacerations in my dim, dark past (lab accidents) and they hurt like hell. I hope you can find a way to keep the pain down while you heal.

Btw, Bravo called. I'm afraid you've been booted from the next season of Top Chef. There's always next time...:p

Feel better soon.

19. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I work 10 days straight, to the point of exhaustion.
    Then I get 4 days off and we're eagerly planning sexyfuntime when the Communists invade, by land, by sea, and by air. Red Storm Rising. Those fuckers have some bad timing.

20. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Really want to turn the corner on this smut, but I keep getting interrupted.