1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The Complaining and Bitching Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ASU2003, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

2 weeks no sex due to ovarian cyst pain. Okay got that handled. Now a UTI.... Soon I'm going to be dressed in a robe singing Gregorian chants, and slamming my head with a board... ala Monty Python

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I ran into this when trying to proofread a fellow cohort member's thesis. I got two paragraphs into the literature review and wrote him an email stating that what he had looked nothing like a literature review, and that he ought to fix that. He only had a handful of citations! He also had some linguistic quirks that he kept repeating. Even when editing student papers, if they make the same mistake over and OVER and over again, I will often circle the mistakes and hand it back for a preliminary revision, just so I don't get annoyed.

3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

There was no reference page either. And everything was just websites. For a freaking journal article?! This is for a publication. Ugh. I gotta stop thinking about it. It's pissing me off.

4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

At least when you're editing and/or reviewing crap writing before publication you have some input regarding making it better.

Try abstracting. I have to read it, and then majorly condense it, and then keep my mouth shut about it.

5. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

Been resting at home with a respiratory bug for the past 3 days...

[​IMG]

for @snowy
    --- merged: Feb 10, 2014 at 5:40 PM ---
    sherlock-bored.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Writing a formal lab report wherein the procedure took me all of half an hour, including prep time and cleanup. The lab write-up has so far taken me 3 hours.

I really don't know how you science-y people (who spend hours upon hours more doing each thing by itself) can handle, nay, *enjoy* this.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hamsterball

I was taught long ago, that you write your lab notebook so that someone else could reproduce it. That usually means time spent.

I once had to reproduce a chemical reaction, using nasty reagents (one of which was a fairly beastly compound with sulfur and fluorine), from a notebook page that only had 2 line in it. No information at all, really.

I had no idea that I'd done it correctly til I'd completed the entire thing. So I learned to keep my notebook the painstaking way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Who in their right mind would proofread 110,000 pages for $100? I thought $400 was low-balling it.

9. Chris Noyb

A newbie trying to "get through the door?"
    Someone desperate for $$?
    A hobbyist?
    A mental masochist?

10. Baraka_Guru

The guy apparently has an "editing" company. He isn't necessarily desperate for money. I mean, if he's a fairly solid reader, he could get through the book within about 8 or 10 hours. So he'd be making $10 or $12 or so per hour.

A professional proofreader, on the other hand, would only be making something like $3 an hour (very optimistically) at a flat rate of $100. (This is why I bid $400.) Realistically, this job should take somewhere between 40 and 50 hours. If there are unforeseen problems (subpar editing, for example), the job could take much longer than that.

What this tells me is that he either proofreads at a breakneck (i.e., unprofessional) speed, or he is desperate for money and will only get $3 (or less) for each hour of his time.

I'm hoping that the "everyone's an editor" mentality is reasonably balanced with "you get what you pay for."

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  11. Chris Noyb

I appreciate good editing. I know that when self-editing my writing my mind frequently reads what it thinks was written, not what I actually wrote.

One time I wrote a very good paper (yes, I was and still am proud of it) about be-bop jazz. In part of the paper I went into great detail about its evolution in various clubs, which I listed along with info regarding their respective roles, in New York City. There was a small problem. My mind was so familiar with the subject it overlooked the fact, during several proofreadings, that I forgot to mention New York City. Clever, eh?

• Like Like x 2
  12. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I'm getting sick.
    No thanks.

13. snowy

My husband often has to give his notebooks to colleagues for their use or to the professor he works with, since they're all working on projects together. Writing down everything helps a lot, it seems.

14. A good friend self published a novel. I thought it was a good story, well told, but the proofreading and editing were disastrous. I was grumbling about it to another friend when he stared at me, wide eyed, and whined, "But, I edited it!" He had worked as a journalist and a technical writer. I almost laughed in his face.

15. Baraka_Guru

See, this is the thing....

(I'm really trying to prevent myself from going off on a rant here...)

It's apparent that most writers aren't very good editors—mainly because they don't have any training or experience as an editor. (And many editors aren't very good writers, in large part because they haven't developed the craft.) Writing and editing are quite different functions in language. People tend to associate the two much too closely. While admittedly they're both employed in creating written communications, they aren't the same thing. Writers (the good ones) are excellent at communicating ideas, stories, etc. They are good at making expressions and formulating engaging narratives, whether fictional or non-fictional. In other words, they are good at what to say. Editors, on the other hand, are good at how to say it. There is a lot of crossover between the two, but writers tend to be best at what to say, while editors tend to be best at how to say it.

Writers who view editing as "essentially the same thing as writing," or as "a part of writing—so writing," fail to see what it means to be an editor. The confusion, I think, happens when considering the revision process of writing. Revision isn't the same thing as editing. Revision is still writing. You could call it rewriting if you'd like. A text that requires revision isn't finished being written. It's not ready for editing. It would have too many problems/gaps that would force the editor to do revising (or rewriting) instead of simply editing.

That said, many writers who haven't had the benefit of working with a talented and professional editor don't value the editing process. They don't understand the editing process—that there are standards, conventions, and stylistic consistencies to consider, that there is more than spelling, grammar, and punctuation to consider. They don't understand that good editors are damned good readers who are capable of critiquing writing on a level that would boggle the minds of the majority of self-publishers who've published books without ever hiring a trained professional editor to help them.

The biggest problem with self-published books (a huge percentage of books today are self-published) is that most of them aren't properly edited. There are many reviewers who won't even consider accepting a book if it's self-published. They've seen far too many that aren't even worth it. Until most self-publishers take on a mentality of professionalism (i.e., a focus on producing quality products by hiring professionals who know what they're doing), their publications will always be relegated to the literary ghetto.

Knowing how to write doesn't mean you know how to edit. I've heard stories of successful writers offering their services as an editor only to reveal how inept they are at editing other people's work. Being a good writer doesn't automatically mean you are good editor. There are many brilliant writers who'd be practically unreadable if it weren't for their hard-working editors.

Damn it. Was that a rant?

• Like Like x 4
  16. snowy

No, @Baraka_Guru, that was an excellent read.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chris Noyb

Who are you, and what have you done with Baraka_Guru?

In college one of my professors made a comment, perhaps a famous quote??, about editing. Unfortunately I can't remember it exactly, and haven't been able to find on the 'net. It went something like this:

"Ernest Hemingway (I think it was EH) was a great storyteller, Such N. Such (the name of his editor which I can't recall) made him a great writer."

BG, maybe you know?

18. Baraka_Guru

I don't know it, but any writer would be blessed to have their work Perkins'd. (I actually recently considered reading Max Perkins: Editor of Genius.)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Baraka_Guru

More awesomeness:

"Blah, blah, blah. I've been burned by so-called 'editors' on websites before. I need a real editor. Blah, blah blah."

[Within an hour or two, hires an "editor" willing to "edit" for less than half a cent per word. (About $1.00 or so per page.)]

20. hamsterball

Well, the predictions of a 6-8 inch snowfall on Thursday have been changed. Now it's up to 10-14 inches.

Oh, did I mention? I HATE WINTER!