1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The Complaining and Bitching Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ASU2003, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

No spare beach here, but If I send a box of sand to you, will you send to me a homemade apple pie? :p

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I can ;)

3. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

You should hold out for more, @snowy. You're worth it!

I want the real thing...

I need sun, warm temps, some surf, and lots of sand, or it's no dice!

4. snowy

The power is out again. Joy.

However, I am so grateful to be married to a man who thinks like I do. We're ready for it. I cooked a lot yesterday knowing the ice storm would likely disrupt our power, and he brought in more wood to dry, plus we cleaned the house while we had electricity.

5. hamsterball

Sorry to hear that you're dealing with the same issues that we've had this week. I hope things clear up quickly in your area.

6. snowy

Our power came on a couple hours after it went out, thankfully.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hamsterball

I'm so glad to hear that, @snowy. Hopefully, that'll be the end of it.

8. snowy

It went out again.

9. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Fuckin' downstairs neighbor leaving their dog leased up outside barking at 1am
    in 25 degree Fahrenheit :mad:

It's a friggin' toy dog, not a penguin.

With only their two little kids up playing around for anyone to respond to "hey, why is this dog barking outside at 1 in the morning???"
    :rolleyes:

Now, I'm up...my dogs are up.
    But at least I got them to take the animal back indoors. (At least that potential guilt is off my mind....and no, they never talked to me face to face)

Now I've got to decide is it worth it to complain further...to them at a more decent time...or to the complex.

Why do people do stupid shit like that??

10. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Not drunk enough to enjoy the female boarder slope style in the olympics... but DAYUM... caramel vodka+ginger ale is hurting me...

11. fjmollot

fjmollot Getting Tilted

12. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Okay, I've got to stop spending so much time on this site. (I still haven't won a bid.)

• Editors' Association of Canada: "If you would expect to pay an editor $60,000 a year in your industry, you should expect to pay a freelance editor about $60 an hour." [I'm happy to get $35 an hour—which is somewhere around $0.02 to $0.03 per word for copy editing.]
    • Society for Editors and Proofreaders: Suggested minimum hourly rate for copy editing: ~$45 an hour.
    • Elance: "Declined. Reason: Your bid at $20 an hour was too high." [This bid was calculated at somewhere around $0.01 per word.]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  13. hamsterball

More snow here this evening. This seems appropriate to the moment.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. DaddySquirrel goes back to work in a few hours. (I'm up late with the baby.)

I can handle her by myself, I'm just going to miss having him around.

• Like Like x 1
  15. hamsterball

It sucks when you have to leave, too. How's DaddySquirrel dealing with it?

You get used to it after awhile, but there are still times....

Love to you and the entire Squirrel clan. :)

16. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I waited until the very last day to edit my co-intern's paper. I want to pluck my eyeballs out. It's not "Idealistically, blah blah..." it's "Ideally,..." And, that was just the second sentence on the page. Also hates commas.

• Like Like x 2
  17. hamsterball

I sympathize, @noodle. I have to review papers and presentations created by colleagues occasionally. I try not to impinge in their style, but sometimes the writing is so bad, I need to take an axe to them.

It makes you realize how few people know how to express themselves or make a proper justification.

Hope it's not too bad. Remember, there's always beer. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Beer is not paleo :(
    This is a doctoral level student who is supposed to be writing papers all along. It infuriates me because they hold us to such a high standard and people from other Universities get away with this shit.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

My biggest bitch is run on sentences and run on paragraphs. Many smart people have no concept of readability. Yes, some subjects are highly specialized (often dry), and the intended audience is a small group familiar with the subject, but that's no excuse for sleep inducing writing.

• Like Like x 2
  20. hamsterball

Maybe archaeologists will discover evidence that paleo humans did drink beer. They needed some way to unwind after a long day of hunting, gathering, and being chased by the occasional Sabertooth.

I've frequently found that it's a combination of not having a proper grasp of basic writing skills, plus a lack of understanding of principles of scientific writing. It's bad enough when one of those deficiencies is present. When both combined, it's a reviewer's nightmare.

Good luck with it!