1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The 2024 US Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Jun 7, 2023.

1. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Kimberly Daniels.

And fuck these ass holes for dragging an honorable trade like blacksmith into their shit show.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet. Donor

I'm putting this here since the focus is banning NPD Trump from running, more than convicting him.

https://www.salon.com/2023/08/09/and-14th-amendment/

Thom Hartmann acknowledges the bans would have to take place in blue states because red states wouldn't ban NPD Trump.

What he neglects to mention is these bans would lead to legal cases which would end up being ruled on by the Supreme Court. I can't see the current conservative court confirming/giving that much power to the states...even if it's in the Constitution.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

5. Chris Noyb

Not a new idea, but the article does reference some conservatives who say NPD Trump is disqualified from running.

https://theconversation.com/georgia...y-disqualified-him-from-the-presidency-211652

The big issue as always is: Who has the power to enforce the 14th Admendment?

Maybe if we has some real bipartisan cooperation in the House & the Senate.

The GOP could reject him from their ticket. When pigs fly out of a frozen hell.

If any of the above happened, & NPD Trump ran as an independent, & the votes for him were rejected, our presidency could be tied up in courts for many years.

The level of cooperation required to officially give 14th Adm powers to one group will never happen with our current polarized politics.

Edit: The actual article hasn't been published (?), but an abstract has.

The Sweep and Force of Section Three by William Baude, Michael Stokes Paulsen :: SSRN

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

Biden campaign unwilling to commit to debating Trump

Debating NPD Trump could help expose him as a FOS whineyass with no plan for the US.

It could also make Pres Biden look old compared to NPD Trump's bombastic manner of speaking, even if NPDT has nothing useful to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

9. Chris Noyb

Beating a dead horse? No, and yes.

https://ml.t-mobile.com/article-con...&item_id=12087400&screen_name=article&index=6

It's nice to see some groups trying to get The Powers That Be to apply the 14th Admendment to NPD Trump reelection efforts.

But the same problem remains:
    What body/bodies can enforce 14A? We've seen how partisan politics can prevent justice (or protect against injustice, depending on how you look at it). The same for relying on the SCOTUS.

To hell with ethics.
    Screw having the moral compass & fortitude to do the right thing, esp at great cost to your political party.
    Lie.
    Protect the guilty.
    Destroy democracy to maintain political power.
    Accept liars & criminals in your party.
    Oppress the people likely to vote against you. Pander to the industries & people providing the money for your political campaigns.
    Corrupt the judicial system in your favor.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Followup...
    State election officials prepare for efforts to disqualify Trump under 14th Amendment

It's not only groups that are thinking of acting on it, but the states are preparing to deal with it all. (the chaos, logistics, legalities, politics, etc)
    Now it's most likely many of the blue states will consider it, if not fully removing him.
    But...since the 2 professors that started off this momentum are conservative members of the Federalist Society, there's a serious chance that even red states will.
    And this is gaining steam in the papers...

Frankly, ANY state that does the deed will be one less to add to the electorate count. (also I hope it screws up the chances of the GOP more, which has become a burden on the US with its antics)

I wish T the political equivalent of death by a 1000 cuts.
    See his chances slowly leak away like when the pandemic was building and he was in denial.

This is going to drive him mad...he's going to crack, much less the stress of the criminal cases. :D
    Like this...
    Trump Posts Attack On Judge Chutkan After 3 AM Rage Bender At ‘Corrupt System of INJUSTICE’

And it's just getting started...
    Where's the popcorn?? ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rogue49

And another followup...this is going to get complicated...hold on to your seats...
    Federal judge dismisses Florida lawsuit seeking to have Trump declared ineligible for presidency

Someone did a lawsuit to get T disqualified in Florida, like the one in New Hampshire.
    However, this judge (an Obama appointee) said they didn't have standing. (meaning they didn't have a proper rationale or authority)

BUT...other judges may vote another way, in other states. (this has happened often before)
    OR they can find those with appropriate authority or rationale to make the case. (perhaps a Never Trumper official, still a part of the GOP...or such)
    Ya never know...

This is going to be a strange Fall...and getting stranger and more complex.
    And I'm certainly not going to note every movement, that's exhausting (for both me AND you, the readers)
    And I don't get paid for this crap. :rolleyes:

New Hampshire...and any other coming...still pending.
    This is a mess.

Frankly, I think T is just going to do something stupid as the pressure builds...and that will be the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

:confused:
    I haven't paid much attention to the No Chance folks trying for the GOP nomination. Christie is on my radar because he actually speaks out against NPD Trump, & he has more news media coverage. I don't trust him, I think he would turn out to be a malable lap dog.

Ramaswamy. I just watched him on ABC's This Week. He's NPD Trump in a different body, more intelligent, more articulate, equally annoying. NPD Trump is Dr. Evil, Ramaswamy is Minime with more speaking lines. Think of him as being the polar opposite of Jimmie Carter, but equally clueless.

His "move up" in the polls appears to be another news media molehill mountain. His regurgitation of extreme right rhetoric will help pull votes away from other nominee hopefuls, but it won't mean anything once the GOP candidate is set (yes, most likely NPD Trump :().

13. rogue49

The problem with candidates like Christie
    Isn’t so much with them…

It’s who they’ll bring in with them.
    They bring in the rest of the mad hatter GOP
    Cooperate with GOP Congress
    And make the GOP more powerful

And IMHO, the GOP is a shitstorm.
    They’re not going by traditional values
    Or inclined to compromise

Not that I love the Dems nor think they’re incorruptible.
    It’s just that the GOP has dove to depths
    Even potentially dangerous to nation.

So I’m wary of any gain they get
    Especially for the wholesale executive office.
    And any other authority the prez staff directs.

It isn’t just one person doing everything…

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Noyb

15. rogue49

Sure, but ya cannot have your cake and eat it too.
    Right now, the states are in charge of their own elections and ballots...not the federal government.
    Now...the federal govt CAN take over, but they aren't...yet.

So you file the case where the activity and authority is. (that's why T's doc case is down in Florida, under a federal court there.)
    And you cannot change the rules mid-stream.
    If each state is currently conducting the qualifiers, ballots, elections and counting, then the case stays at that level.

This is why T just got denied to move his obstruction case to Federal level.

Now IF the Federal government fully took over the management and adminstration (which I wouldn't mind and have argued for), only after the fact, would the case be there.
    But that would be an all in one judgement...all states at once. Not battles in each.
    And you'd have to get the state to agree, which many wouldn't...including lawsuits to pull back to the states. (It would be a mess for awhile, certainly not for this election)

Nope, Mr. T no soup for you. It will stay in the states until the Fed takes the reins totally. You're stuck for this round.
    BTW the Constitution is effective throughout, even at the state level. Those laws and principles flow everywhere in the US.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rogue49

Well, the disqualification effort is widening...with yet another lawsuit to get T out of the race, due to insurrection.
    Dem secretaries of state throw cold water on push to disqualify Trump from the ballot

But the Secretary of States are saying that it should be the courts interpreting it.
    Yet again, the Dems punt - even when it comes to getting rid of a potential tyrant, a threat to democracy and insurrectionist.

And it wouldn't surprise me that the judges say wait until he's convicted. Making it another delay until at least next year.
    and even for the GOP, upsetting the whole primary, IF he is ousted.

I tell ya, the US does know how to wait until the last minute on everything.
    Like a damn thriller. :rolleyes:

“You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities.”
    or...
    “You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing after they have tried everything else.”

17. Chris Noyb

I'm not sure they're punting, we know this is going to wind up in the courts. What we do need to do is get moving now towards the resolution. We can't have a national election where the blues states remove NPD Trump, & the red states include him.

It's a shame the founding fathers didn't make the power to enforce 14.3 absolutely clear.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chris Noyb

19. Chris Noyb

This NPD Trump move is understandable, but it's pure BS. I don't agree with everything the UAW is wanting, but do agree with some of their demands.

Trump's labor record will trail him as he wades into UAW strike

Trump says he always had autoworkers' backs. Union leaders say his first-term record shows otherwise

I sincerely hope the union leaders don't support NPD Trump, but I wouldn't surprised if they do.
    Years ago Garry Trudeau did a Doonebury comic strip where Duke explains union leadership (please forgive my paraphrasing): "Union leaders represent the working class so they don't become part of the working class."

20. Chris Noyb

• Agree Agree x 1