1. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The 2024 US Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Jun 7, 2023.

1. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

My blunt: We currently have two men running for President who are entirely unfit for the position.
    I’m looking for alternatives.
    I hope the Dems get Old Joe to drop out. He is unfit to be President today. Can you really imagine him performing the job in 4 years?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I trust that Biden is surrounded by good people,
    which includes Kamala Harris, to help him.

Yes, keeping Biden on the ticket is risky. Pulling Biden would give the election to Agent Orange 45.

Biden isn't a great option, but he's the best option.

@fflowley
    Out of curiosity, who do you see replacing Biden, with a realistic chance to defeat NPD Trump?

Harris could rally votes from women specifically and blacks generally, but she could also bring out a flood of votes for NPD Trump.

3. fflowley

My main concern now is that we have no candidate running who is even remotely fit for the job.
    Democrats are now trying to convince me that I didn't see what I am sure I saw with my own eyes: That Biden is a frail elderly man in failing mental and physical health.
    It's just as bad as the wall of Republican denial about January 6.
    The Democrat party needs to remove him or have him step down. It's as simple as that.

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Biden, Trump deliver contrasting Fourth of July messages — Axios

I’d rather vote for an honorable old man
    Than a criminal (in all ways) slime.

Makes ya wonder about our fellow Americans judgement skills…and their own integrity.

A bunch of idiots staring into the coming train headlights.
    Just deers…

Hope we have more wolves than deer.
    Wolves know what is best for the pack.

Happy 4th
    Hope it’s not our last.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris Noyb

My view is equally simple:
    Removing Biden, this late with no viable replacement, gives the election to NPD Trump.

Team Biden is a better choice than
    Trump & Maga Nazis.

6. fflowley

Many Democrats and Democrat party leaders are taking too long to adjust to the reality of today, versus the reality of 9 days ago.
    Joe Biden's re-election campaign suffered a terminal event on that debate stage last week. It's over for him.
    What was a close race is no longer close.
    Sticking with Biden guarantees a big loss to Trump. We could be talking like 40 state loss.
    He needs to step down, or to be removed.

And as for the media: They're high on their own gas.
    They're all excited about today's Biden interview and talking about how important it is.
    It's not going to make one iota of difference.
    Having Old Joe interviewed by a sympathetic figure, with editing before showing on TV, is not going to convince anyone of his fitness for office.
    The fact that he still won't do an open press conference or voter forum tells us all we need to know about his mental fitness.
    And add to that the interview is on a Friday of a 4 day holiday weekend for many people. Many communities, mine included, have their fireworks tonight.
    Nobody is going to be watching.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chris Noyb

^^
    I respect your reaction and thoughts..

I also sincerely hope Biden stays in (if anyone has an electable replacement I would love to hear about him or her) and most Democrats and voters who don't want Trump reelect Biden.

In a round about way this situation reminds of the '76 and '80 elections. The Dems were (almost certainly) guaranteed the WH in '76, & got it. We elected Carter, a nice guy who was cluelesss in many ways, and unfortunately a wussy when it came to killing people when we seriously needed to. The Repubs rebounded, miracously IMO, in '80 with smooth talking Reagan.

[Chris, this relates to Biden
    & Trump how, exactly?]

A second Biden term could be a disaster for Dems in '28.

A victory for Trump in '24 would be disaster for decades.

8. fflowley

• Like Like x 1
  9. rogue49

Again, if they try to switch, then many states are going to make it impossible for the new person to get on the ballot.

If the GOP dominated legislators and voting official can make an issue for Biden (and they DID, the Dem governor had to intervene),
    then it will be 20-fold for anyone else.
    You miss being on the ballot for one or two states, you've lost. Period. Don't stop on Go, don't collect 200.

They're stuck with Biden, just because of the "any means to an end" don't play fair environments.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. rogue49

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Chris Noyb

^^^
    Trump is letting the Dems implode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. rogue49

13. Chris Noyb

The Dems need the 2020 turnout.

And so many states have done so much to make sure that doesn't happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. rogue49

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Chris Noyb

I'm putting this in the POTUS election thread because I see a connection, at least a future connection.

https://www.salon.com/2024/07/12/un...ous-precedent-by-refusing-to-certify-results/

If members of the Wassau County Commisioner Board are fired by the county DA or whoever has that power, or their vote in nullified, and a lawsuit follows, it could end up before the SC. Which could affect POTUS elections.

This is seriously bad. If it becomes a trend our elections could be tied up in legal knots for years. It would be a great excuse for incumbent politicians to stay in office. Think Greg Abbott, DeSantis, maybe Trump (gawd help us!).

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

^It sounds like a trick they should have tried in 2020...

It would be nice to have a Democratic candidate that we could vote for and have bumper stickers supporting them...

I don't think Biden is that candidate and will have trouble winning the electoral college. I agree that there is a problem with finding "the perfect" national Democratic candidate though.

The serious thing that is lacking in Biden's campaign is what is the plan for the next 4 years? What is going to stay the same and what needs to change? And why hasn't it changed already? What else does he have to prove?

I just don't see the numbers for Biden or Harris right now. Too many 18-44 year olds will stay at home or vote third party, since they haven't been voting against the last President since 2016 and not a lot has changed in their lives. Housing and rent has gone up, interest rates have gone up (to where they belonged all along), insurance rates are up, food prices are up (due to conservative owners setting prices higher), the Afghanistan War has just shifted to a proxy war in Ukraine/Gaza, and on and on.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris Noyb

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. rogue49

RNC day 1: Takeaways

ALL of which was Chump's own FAULT for doing the CRIMES
    The system was doing the CORRECT thing going after him for those actual wrongdoings.
    The system FAILED by letting him get away with it.

If y'all want to have blinders on and rationalize crimes away, that's on you.
    You cannot change facts and reality.

BUT, we as a nation and our honest leaders need to change the holes in the system.
    Because, it's letting bad things go....AND gain power with it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chris Noyb

Pointing Out The Obvious! (POTO!) alert.

The rules in the legislature make it nearly impossible for one party who doesn't have an overwhelming majority to get any new laws or admendments passed; sometimes not even introduced. It's even worse now because the Repubs unify to Red Wall block nearly everything, even bipartisan legislation they initially supported.

I think we're going to need to scare the shit out of our political leaders, make it seriously uncomfortable for them to support far right legislation and block more moderate proposals.

Of course having SCOTUS back up right-wing policies doesn't help.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1