1. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Superhero Death Battles, Flying Cars, and Pop Culture in General! Oh My!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Speed_Gibson, Feb 8, 2015.

1. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Since they both can warp reality to their desires it would be a tie there but Cthulhu would have the advantage in that it has allies in the other dark gods so Manhattan would be outnumbered.

2. I personally would agree with cthulhu winning. I think within their own universes both are basically unkillable in a physical sense. But Doc Manhattan is emotionally and psychologically still human for all his power and knowledge, and i think Cthulhu would drive him insane or warp his will to make him serve him.

3. redravin

That was my original thought, that he was still basically human, but if you remember from the book by the end he had pretty much lost all his connection with mankind.
    He still wanted to care but he even forgot that she couldn't breath on Mars.
    By human standards Dr. Manhattan is already so far away he might as well be a different species.

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Cthulhu
    One is a relatively limited manipulator of Energy...also limited by his own experience and still human mind.
    The other has got the powers of the strongest "Ancient Evils" which is magic...and the experience and cunning of one who's lived for eons.

If Ozymandias can initially outwit Dr. M, then Cthulhu can do it...and he's more ruthless/heartless...and he can think/plan in longer terms than a mortal.

The only way to defeat Cthulhu is the same as typical, from his own boredom or agenda...or you somehow close the portal before he gets through.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

5. or hit him with a boat ;)

6. redravin

Though if you think about it there's a good chance that the world wouldn't come out in very good shape as a result of such a battle.
    Unless you could convince them to do it off planet I suspect the long term damage would be immense.

7. I actually read that the other way. That he can see everything yet forgets that Laurie couldnt breathe on Mars was to me a sign of how distracted he was, and how emotionally affected he was that the world rejected him and she (in her own way) rejected him also. The way he shuts himself away on Mars I thought was a very human reaction. Kind of a teenager with the powers of a demigod locking himself away in his room.

The fact that he has knowledge of so much of the past, present and future certainly gives him a different perspective than a normal person, and he maybe that is part of what makes him so detached at the end... but I still think it is probably that his mere exposure to Cthulhu (a being who's very existence is in contradiction to the universal laws Doc Manhattan thinks he is the keeper of) would send him insane without Cthulhu even particularly noticing him.

8. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Ok, this is a weird battle...
    Superman's super intestinal bacteria -vs- the earth's waste disposal treatment plants.
    Who wins?
    I think there may be a growing super bacterium in collected pockets of the world, centralized around Metropolis. One of these days it will attack...

9. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Ok, this was so cool, it gave me shivers.
    Comics, Hollywood, Robotics (real), 3D printing and a very lucky boy...oh, my!

Robert Downey Jr. gives young fan 3D-printed Iron Man arm

Could you get any more chic geek? And altruistic to boot?? :cool:

I think this may even pass Captain America's recent hero work at the hospital.
    Those guys, always competing...even when it's not a competition. ;)

• Like Like x 2