1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food QOTD #81: Where do you eat?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by genuinemommy, Jul 13, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Where do you usually eat your meals?
    Do you eat in your home, at a restaurant, or on the go?
    When you are home, do you prefer to sit at a dining table, on a couch, or another surface?

This came up as a cultural difference the other day. Our friend said that in Germany they always eat sitting down at a table. Anything else is just crazy.

Our family is pretty casual about food. We try to sit down and have a nice meal together every evening, but we usually only pull it off once a week. I want our daughters to slow down and focus on eating, especially the 3 year old who forgets to eat. I try to sit with them for breakfast every day, and lunch some days. Dinner just tends to get chaotic. Sometimes I find myself eating a juicy piece of fruit over the kitchen sink, or grabbing a granola bar from the pantry and scarfing it down in the car. Then I remember that every time I do these things in front of my girls, they internalize the action. This makes it more of a challenge to remind them to sit when eating, or to finish that hot dog before running off to play.

2. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

My preference is to eat at the table. Occasionally if I am busy, though, I end up eating at my desk, or in my car on the way to work. Nonetheless, I do manage to mostly eat at the table.

We don't eat out very much, but we do occasionally. Mostly at home, at the table. Not always as a classic family dinner-- often the kids eat, then Mrs. Levite eats while I am putting the kids to bed, and then I eat after everyone else has gone to bed. But we try to do the classic family dinner at least once or twice a week.

• Like Like x 1
  3. When at home, we all eat at the kitchen table for all meals. We don't eat out very often anymore. If the weather is nice, we'll eat out on the patio at that table and chairs. Totally different than when I was growing up. We all ate in separate rooms.

At work I find an empty conference room and chow down there since I need a break from my office.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Most of my meals are eaten at the dining room table. Not due to formality, but because that is the place I sit most often in general. I work from there most of the time. I can see the living room tv clearly from there, so I often watch tv from there. I'm someone who wants to see his surrounding, so from that spot I can see down the hallway towards the bedrooms, I can see the entrance to the kitchen, I can see all of the dining room, all of the kitchen, most of my office, the front door, and out two windows towards the street and front yard.

Even when I eat there, my wife often eats on the couch in the living room. It's 10-12' away and we are in full view of each other, so we still have conversation and eat at the same time. But at informal times that is her preference. It works for us.

• Like Like x 2
  5. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

We eat all our meals family style, either at the kitchen table or out at the patio table. All home cooked. We eat out on average 1-2X per month.

It's a shitload of work with 3 kids, but we think it's a good place to invest effort.

At work I'm known for being the guy who always brings his own lunch.
    I want healthy food, and I want to get a chance to eat. On busier days that window for eating might only be 10 minutes and I don't want to spend that time running up to the cafeteria and waiting in line.

• Like Like x 4
  6. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

This is a great question. We have a breakfast nook, however the 3 of us eat our meals there. We cook most of our meals and do spend a lot of time in the kitchen Sandy moved the TV out of there because it was interfering with conversation. We do have a family dining table but we don't use it unless company comes over.

• Like Like x 1
  7. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Usually in front of my computer.
    I go out to brunch with my friend when we go vinyl hunting once a week and try to go out with my kiddos every other week.

• Like Like x 1
  8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We eat out a couple times a week. It's not really about the convenience of it; rather, it's something we both enjoy.

At home, we usually eat in the living room. Since we moved into our current place, we sometimes eat at the dining room table. Tonight, we ate on our back deck. It was nice.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

At home, in our respective recliners. We have a tiny breakfast nook, which is mostly occupied by a chest freezer. I plan to move our small dining table back into the main 'living room' once we sort through the boxes of items we inherited when my in-laws downsized and after they passed away.

Growing up we ate at the dinner table; being allowed to eat in front of the TV was a special treat. I miss sitting at a dining table to eat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

At the dinner table, at my desk, TV tray in the living room, picnic table outside ... We don't really have a routine, we just eat wherever.

Eating out is mostly a convenience to us, we don't do it very often.

• Like Like x 1
  11. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Breakfast and lunch are almost always at my desk as I putter away at some thing or another. We don't eat those meals together.

Dinner we do eat together but it's usually eaten in the living room. I view this as something of a bad habit but it's not that big of a deal I guess. Still, I think we'll be eating at the table more when baby comes.

It's weird to think that my behaviour is going to start to matter for more than just my own self-interest soon.

Eating out is pretty uncommon. We're more likely to order in or get some takeout to bring home. That happens probably about twice per month, with me cooking the rest of the time. Cooking duties have gone back and forth over the years and probably will again. It's generally a function of who has time and energy to plan, prep and cook meals.

• Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We managed to squeeze six people around my tiny dining room table this weekend. It was...friendly.

This is why I want a replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

No rule
    Whatever suits the mood.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I too, grew up eating meals with the family and the TV on. Eating with the family was nice, the TV was a distraction. When we made this move, we put the spare TV away in the closet.

The social meal is dinner, with just the 3 of us and the meal, no TV or internet. We have just one dining table, which sits near the bay window between the kitchen and livingroom. We have a cooked meal each night with Friday night being takeaway night. We go out once-in-awhile but are currently watching the budget.
    I tend to eat breakfast or lunch alone, standing up, looking out any given window. Distracting myself with the view slows me down. I often snack outside on the back patio as well. Again, I like to combine eating with something else I like, otherwise I tend to just consume without paying attention to enjoying it.

Interesting question!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1