1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #77: Do you have pets?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Jun 17, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Do you have pets?
    Or do you not want pets?
    Tell us one specific story about pets.
    Do you plan on having another pet?
    Share pictures of your pets and discuss other pet stuff with our ongoing thread on pets:

Tilted Pets | The TFP

_---------_
    I have no pets presently. Our daughters enjoy taking neighbors' dogs for walks. Yesterday the dog 2 doors down got out, so I picked him up and put him in the side yard at his house. As I picked him up, I thought, "Ugh, he smells. And his hair is course and scratchy. I'm glad I don't have a dog right now." It made me miss my rabbit's super soft fur. But I am taking care of little humans right now. No time for a pet until they are old enough to truly care for them.

The other month my aunt visited for a day, and she noted the absence of pets. I explained that there's a lull right now, that none have come our way needing a place to stay. She expected a menagerie. We have cages and litter boxes waiting in our garage. It'll happen eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I have furry children.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I have 3 dogs

old black lab 13 years old was found on side of road when she was little
    my pit, 2 years old rescue dog
    daughters pit 1.5 years old rescue dog'

my wife and daughter have a habit of fostering dogs so at any given time theres a lot of dos at my house.

im not a cat person

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Likewise, I consider Molly to be my furkid. We've had his and hers dogs for a couple of decades, now. Male Golden for her. female Newf for me. We've had cats in the past, but they are prey where we live now.

Molly is 8, I'm 60, I'm not sure if there is another dog in my future. If so, nothing other than a Newfie girl will do.

• Like Like x 3
  5. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I sort of accidentally collected pets.

My first pet was Layla, who is a cat I got over ten years ago now. I was single and lonely and decided a kitty would suit my bachelor lifestyle fairly well. She hates everyone who isn't me. She's getting old and lost some teeth so she drools a fair bit, but I still love her.

Monkey was a cat that Magpie and I adopted shortly after moving in together, so she'd be around 8 now. The idea was that she could be a friend for Layla while we were off doing things couples do, but Layla doesn't like her so that didn't work.

For a long time it was just two people and two cats. I always knew I wanted a dog but I also knew the cats would not take to a dog so the plan was to wait until after the cats had gone. Then my sister's dog needed a home, so now I have Keela. She's an 8 year old lab mix with goofy ears who does not act her age. She wants to be friends with the cats so, so badly. Like, you don't even know. It's tragic because the cats hate her.

But then I throw the ball and everything is lovely again.

I don't know if I'll get more pets after these ones. Part of me feels like my pet itch has been thoroughly scratched, but I might feel different I guess when they're gone.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

One little dog. Best dog ever.

I'd always had cats, but Mrs. Levite is deeply allergic to cats, and even to most dogs. But when she and I got together she had a little Maltese named Sammy. Sammy and I learned to get along, but Sammy's health was failing, and a few months before Mrs. Levite and I got married, Sammy had to be put to sleep. I was all for waiting a while before getting another pet, but Mrs. Levite is the leap-now-think-later type, so within ten days, we were off to the rescue shelter to look at dogs.

I constantly credit this as being the time that she was most right, and I was most wrong.

The little dog that she picked, I thought was ugly. She'd only just been rescued: her previous owners had bred her as soon as she was physically capable, then abandoned her on the street before her puppies were even finished suckling. She'd been found with terribly matted fur, and they'd had to shave her down at the shelter. So when we first saw her, she was scrawny, with a buzz-cut all over her body, and pendulous nipples. I wasn't paying attention to anything else. I was like, "Yikes. Ugly dog. Who's next?" But thank God, Mrs. Levite knew right away this was the dog for us.

We don't know what breeds she is, except that there are a number of them in there. We are fairly sure that she has some Shih Tzu, some Maltese, some Poodle, but there's probably something else in there, too. Technically, her name is Pumpernickel, because when we got her, she looked kind of like a loaf of black bread. It was instantly shortened to Nicky. But we never call her that. What she answers to most is Little Dog, although we also call her Puppy and Fuzzy Girl and things of that sort.

She is a very quiet dog-- we hear her bark maybe once a week, and then it's only two or three barks, and then she's done. She has zero interest in playing, in toys, in going for long walks, and she can't abide other dogs. She has really only ever wanted to nap, to cuddle and be petted, to snack, and to watch the world. We often say she's basically a highly animate throw pillow. But the truth is, for a creature that is not actually bigger than a bread box, Little Dog is remarkably smart. She responds to all her various names, she comes when called, she can be summoned with a series of snaps of the fingers, and can follow directions ("Go over to the sofa," if accompanied by a point in that direction, will in fact usually lead to her going to the sofa. And when it doesn't, it's clear she understands, she just doesn't feel like complying). She sleeps with us, and usually curls up against me.

And in very short order, as her fur grew out, she filled out with regular feeding, and her nipples shrunk up, she became a ridiculously cute dog.

LD.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I had 3 dogs awhile back...now just one.
    Can't have cats although she wants one. (no objection, just allergic)
    Considering my current job...I won't get more, although I would love another sister for her.
    Wouldn't mind any other type of pet...as long as they took care of themselves during work. (fish, birds, snake, etc...)

Already shared...hopefully the cutie got a few Aww's. :)
    I know she keeps me sane. (way cheaper than a psychologist)

8. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

We have a dog & a cat.

As my FIL is famous for saying, dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Stanley.

Do I need to say more? ;)

• Like Like x 3
  10. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

No other words needed

• Like Like x 1
  11. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Sandy and I both prefer Jack Russell Terrier, Sandy had 2 and both passed away ( 13 and 15 ) years old. Mine was a terrier mix and was hit by a mini van. We both want another and it's time. We are definitely dog people, no cats in the house. The barns okay for them felines.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

No. I think they are a waste of time and money. I like my animals outside wild and free and that can survive on their own.

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Two cats at the moment. Next year, my husband has promised I can get a dog.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

Yes, I have two guinea pigs, and unfortunately one of them always pisses the other one off with his execrable sense of humor:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

We currently have a dog, a cat, a turtle, and a hamster in our house.

The cat doesn't come around as much these days as he and the dog do not get along. The hamster is in my daughter's room and I barely see it ever (just the way I like it).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

We have a dog and three cats. I'm sure I've told their stories here more than once.

17. They are Shysters.

18. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

The dog and the cat have formed an interesting detente. They don't like each other and fundamentally ignore each other. 3 or 4 times in the evening, the dog will realize there's a cat. As if there was never a cat before. She runs at the cat. He hisses and swats. The dog wants to smell the cat's butt, but the cat is not into inter-species anal play. The dog does not understand the concept of consent, and gets her nose swatted by the cat.

Yesterday, they stood shoulder to shoulder at the glass wall lusting after the birds in the back yard. As if they were friends.... an unholy alliance, indeed!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

You could call my wife & I Strays-R-Us.

Four dogs and three cats, all were strays. Yellow Lab, Dober-mix, Sheltie (small), Miniature Dachshund, an old cat, and two 'kittens' about a year old.

• Like Like x 2