1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Obama - Actually doing a good job?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

Fundamentally I agree that it is not the responsibility of the Department of Energy to lower or maintain low energy prices. I think the market should set prices and that the role of government is to make sure all social costs are reflected in prices - as best as possible. If this is Chu's position we agree. however, I do not believe government should take measures to artificially increase the cost of energy or to make relative price adjustments between alternatives. I have no objection to R&D - but I prefer it be done in the private sector.

One concern I have regarding current energy policy is the lack of clarity and continuity. Some hold opposing positions on key questions, i.e. low prices vs. higher prices to encourage conservation or alternatives, hence there is a lack of clarity. I do believe that US energy prices, in particular as it relates to oil, does not reflect all social costs - in particular one of those cost is the use of our military to police oil markets.

On a side note it is offensive to be told my position is ignorant based on a very superficial assessment of my position.
    --- merged: Dec 1, 2012 at 1:47 PM ---
    I did not quote him, I gave a link to a website - I said there are two sides to this question. I am not going to do a search I but I know the Obama Administration has taken both sides. I think you know that too.

I don't ignore, I do not believe we have an energy policy. Making statements about energy does not form a policy, failure to clearly address a direction in the face of conflicts does not form a policy.

Cafe standards? 54.5 mpg by 2025? The only way this happens is through a convoluted manner of calculating fleet averages. The real point is all companies will have to offer high mpg vehicles, no one will buy, while selling low mpg vehicles at higher profit margins. A real win for energy conservation and the consumer. This will result in a dumb-bell type distribution.

Oil is generally fungible.

That is how you get oil out of the ground.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

What is probably the most practical and realistic setup for this industry regarding R&D are government partnerships with the private sector. The government probably likes that. The private sector probably likes that. The government gets what it wants (a direction). The private sector gets what it wants (funding and risk mitigation).

As far as other government intervention, I think it's a matter of balancing between affordable energy and energy development that doesn't a) put national security at risk, b) put public health and safety at risk, or c) continue along a path that's unsustainable.

There is little indication that the private sector can do this alone. There is little indication that the government can do this alone.

This is probably the U.S.'s greatest problem/challenge right now. Compared to most other developed nations, its energy policy is severely lacking.

Don't be too presumptive about what I posted. I haven't even assessed your position.

3. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Great Ace. Another cavalier response. Yeah, It's how you get oil (coal and natural gas) out of the ground until the destruction caused by the extraction methods renders it an obsolete option or until there's no more oil, coal or natural gas and the US is left holding its dick in it's hand because it left the quest for alternatives up to those profiting from a precious and dwindling supply of fossil fuels. It probably won't happen in your lifetime, Ace so no need to sweat it. Keep living as if there's no tomorrow.

4. redux

redux Very Tilted

Ace, now I understand the conservative "drill, baby drill" mantra.

To do otherwise is an insult to God.

From the right wing American Family Association:

5. Joniemack

OMFG. Just when I think I've heard it all.

6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Holy shit. I can't even fathom that kind of reasoning.

7. Baraka_Guru

I'm sorry. Does that say "reasoning"?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joniemack

Twist logic. Add faith in a magical being. Voila.

9. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

So...the upward trudge continues.
    I assume that the GOP ney-sayers will continue their obstinate charge that this numbers are "political"...
    But considering the election was won, hands-down...then why would this be possibly be true?
    Are they going to hang it on the "fiscal-cliff" debate?

I see no reason for anything other than simply the economy is getting better.
    And it will actually increase in the spring after the holiday hiatus. (no one but retailers hire during the holidays...)
    And if damn Congress can get it's act together and actually remove the ambiguity which is making the cowardly hiring mgrs sketchy.

Right now, Obama's holding all the cards...

10. redux

redux Very Tilted

The CALM (Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation) Act signed by Obama in 2010 goes into effect today.

No more loud TV commercials!

More: Today
    Shout out to one less annoyance.

11. Baraka_Guru

12. redux

redux Very Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baraka_Guru

14. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i find it interesting that susan rice withdrew her name for sec. of state.
    does that mean john kerry?
    then scott brown would run for that seat in the senate?
    was that the point the whole time?

15. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

That could be the point. Unless the administration has another nominee up their sleeve.

16. rogue49

Yep.

And if they do...he gets in and the whole damn thing starts over again.
    Scott Brown's win was the catalyst for getting the raging GOP going again after their last spanking.

And it would just like the Dems to give them that match...

Does anyone ever friggin' learn their lesson???

17. Joniemack

I doubt it was Susan Rice's idea to withdraw and I hope Obama has someone else in mind aside from John Kerry. Not that he wouldn't make a good Sec of State, but I don't believe that running the risk of losing another seat in the Senate is a wise trade-off.

18. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

19. rogue49

And now for another potential feather in Mr. O's cap.

Medicare costs are SLOWING
    Linky
    [​IMG]

20. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Damn him! O-Bamaaaa!