1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Obama - Actually doing a good job?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Mar 10, 2012.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

BTW...for your reading pleasure.
    Chart: Almost Every Obama Conspiracy Theory Ever

Enjoy. :D

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

That's dizzying.

Did G. W. Bush or any other presidents have as many as that?

3. Alistair Eurotrash

FTFY :)

4. Baraka_Guru

5. rogue49

FYI
    From Politifact
    Link - Has President Obama kept his campaign promises?

Fairly decent percentages...especially when you compare them with the GOP promise tracker.

6. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Ok. Here's an endorsement for Romney from David Frum.

Why I'll Vote for Romney
    by David Frum

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Isn't Frum a Canadian? Why would anyone in the US listen to him?

8. rogue49

Obama cut lose from the contraints of elections.

You think he will play it differently?
    I personally don't think so...he's always played the long-game...so it's basically re-enforcing the policies he's done before.

Basically his whole campaign's premise was "let me finish...don't go back"

If you take a look at Politifact's Obamameter, he'll likely try to re-try or finally push through some of those that he wanted in the first place.

I predict he'll reduce the amount of prosecutions and efforts towards Pot...having the ATF and FBI going after harder drugs,
    if not reduce the Drug War significantly...until Congress can pass some more flexible and progressive laws on it.

What do you think he'll work on??

9. rogue49

As interest...and your viewing pleasure.
    Headlines from around the world on Obama's election success.

World reaction

10. rogue49

I wonder if anyone has figured out that one of Obama's cards in his pocket...is to allow the deadline to come and go???
    See, if Obama doesn't get what he wants...then tax-breaks expire...and the 1st sequestrian occurs.

Then, so what in it for him???
    - He gets more revenue, the rich get hit more.
    - He gets to make significant cuts...all at his discretion. (BTW, they've already planned for this for some time...) Less spending.
    - The deficit and debt goes down big-time on his 2nd watch.
    - And for the most part, he gets to blame the GOP and the gridlock in DC.

There's a reason the GOP leaders are ready to play now...
    let's see if they're smart enough to not fall into the trap and actually get things done.

11. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

Boehner and some moderate Republicans have always been willing to play. The hardline Tea Party elected officials from 2010 could have been overcome with a combination of Democrats and Moderate Republicans and the President. The President never built that coalition. The President has a second chance to build it, but he can not expect support form Tea Party elected officials. I think the real problem is and has been on the Democrat Party side regarding the spending cuts. We still don't know what they are willing to cut other than defense. It is clear that the tax rate increases on the rich won't amount to much - and in fact may never materialize into increased revenue - the real key is strong accelerating economic growth, we won't see that if tax rates go up - in the next 2 to 4 years. I expect stagnation regardless of what happens.

12. Baraka_Guru

I don't think it's clear at all. It really depends on the details.

Economic growth will occur regardless of the suggested tax changes. Growth occurred in the '80s even after TEFRA was enacted (in both GDP and tax revenue). You could say that it more or less cancelled out much of what ERTA was for, but isn't that what today's tax issue is about? Putting back what was taken away? Letting the Bush tax cuts expire on the rich at least?

I think we need to learn more about Obama's new tack on the issue. The second term will be a different game than the first.

13. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

how very we have always been at war with oceania.
    it must be interesting to be a rank & file conservative, to talk about responsibility but never have take any.

compare with this:
    Romney's "Gifts" Defense: Bobby Jindal, Scott Walker quick to denounce former nominee's election explanation.

i can see the problem for the neo-fascist set. if there's some "soul searching" amongst republicans, it would follow that among the problems that will be isolated is the rise and prominence of the neo-fascist set within the conservative coalition. given that the neo-fascist set operates almost entirely in an alternate reality that leans on the conservative infotainment system to churn it, raising the first problem will lead to the second. whence my expectation of a not inconsiderable struggle for power within the conservative movement, one that is already starting. if the right is at all serious about wanting to stop being exclusionary, blowing up the conservative infotainment system is pretty obviously required. but does the republican party have the power, first, and cojones, second, to take on their corporate-media masters?

i don't think so.
    but we'll see.

14. Baraka_Guru

And now the Eurozone is in another recession: Recession now, stagnation in 2013 for euro zone| Reuters

A fine job the European austerity has done.

Maybe Obama and his economic team will learn the hard lesson here. There's no sense in increasing taxes on the middle class (i.e., something similar to increases in consumption and sin taxes in battered Greece), nor is there any sense in drastic cuts to public spending, especially those cuts that disproportionally affect the lower and middle class.

You take the bottom out of the lower and middle class, and you take the bottom out of the economy.

15. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

it only takes some understanding of the history of recession/depressions to figure out that austerity is exactly the wrong idea for addressing them. remember herbert hoover? that was his idea. somehow i suspect the concrete penis that is the hoover institution in palo alto has something to do with attempting to legitimate long-failed ideas on this order. fealty to the namesake, dontcha know.

16. rogue49

This is the way I see it going the next 4 years.
    • Obama and the GOP still won't get along, however this time instead of Obama blinking, the GOP will be blamed for fiascos.
    • Obama is waiting for the GOP to explode the talks, taxes will go up, he cuts at his discretion, debt goes down.
    • Obama will continue to increase the efficiencies of the government, which I've noted being pushed from the inside
    • Obama will start to invest in infrastructure, after the explosion, Congress over-compensates by agreeing to spending, his discretion.
    • The economy will go up, because the public is more comfortable, the corporate management has finally has to get real results.
    • The economy will go up, because of the new energy resources available to us.
    • Obama will remove many subsidies to corporations and funding to other nations...including NATO.
    • China, Japan and Europe will have difficulties, re-enforcing the US dollar as a stable money.
    • Employment will go up, because businesses have finally reached the bottom of the productivity barrel, even now it's expanding more.
    • The current Supreme Court will continue to whittle away on safety acts and measures, in the essense of conservative values
    • The Supreme Court will change unexpectedly somehow, leaving a more centrist or liberal court by the end of term.
    • Debt will go down, due to the better use of medical practices and re-organized military structure and draw-down of wars and actions
      and increased revenue...
    This will now be a time of change, not just status-quo for economic safety.
    Question is, how much chaos will be in the mix.

17. Aceventura

According to the CBO the revenue gains from the Bush Tax cuts are as follows (I don't agree with the semantics):

The Congressional Budget Office's Fiscal Cliff Analysis In Charts - Kevin Glass

To give perspective in October, one month. the budget deficit was $120 billion.

Budget deficit rises to $120 billion in October| Reuters

Most define a recession as negative economic growth, we could go back into recession. Or, we could continue with unacceptable slow economic growth in the 2% or less range. Either is bad news in the context of deficit reduction or growing "revenues".

We will see. This has been a question on my mind for some time - what is going to be different in Obama's second term than his first? All the players and conditions are basically the same. One difference will be with the Federal Reserve, they will not be able to maintain an easy money posture for long. Interest rates have to go up. When interest rates go up the cost of US debt will go up.
    --- merged: Nov 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM ---
    I am reminded of a family lunch event over the summer - about 15 people. One person followed by the a vocal majority wanted a sushi restaurant. Being an old cantankerous adult red blooded American male, I don't do sushi. My vote was no. Of course I am made out to be the bad guy, a role I am used to, but I made it clear that everyone was free to go to the sushi restaurant, and that I would go down the street and get a burger, fries and a Coke - and meet up with them afterward. A few joined me and the others had their sushi.

What the moral of this story? I am not responsible for the decisions of others. If your point is that conservatives have to be responsible for the decisions, acts, inaction of others you are out out lunch

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2012
  18. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

no ace. i expect you to not make things up and fob them off as the past. your most recent 1984 revision of the past 2 years of congressional behavior is made up.

i assume that this particular detachment from reality comes authorized by conservative infotainment incorporated, so figured it appropriate to use the plural.

19. Aceventura

Is there a word/phrase for this technique that you employ so frequently? I would kinda describe it as "menopausal woman" based on my experiences with them. It commonly goes like this - I make a statement - menopausal woman, without being specific says "you are just wrong" - To wit I say, can you be specific - and the reply is - oh, you just don't get it. They are correct, but not in the way that they think.

20. Baraka_Guru

The Reagan tax cuts in his first year had a pretty big hit on revenues, which is why they passed legislation to generate more revenue the following year.

Again, it really matters how the taxes are managed. A straight-out argument that taxing the rich doesn't work isn't a very good one at all.

This doesn't speak to my point. You suggested that tax changes would prevent increased economic growth. This isn't necessarily true. It may be true if taxes go up across the board, but I don't think Obama is trying to sell that.

Taxes aren't the be-all and end-all of economic growth.

The conditions aren't all the same. Obama's election to a second term is going to have an impact. American voters are at worst split on how they want leaders to handle the economy. Republicans thought their platform was the only way to go. They were wrong.

To say conditions are the same is to miss the more nuanced aspects of politics, if not he overt impact of retaining power despite your critics' worst attacks.