1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Obama - Actually doing a good job?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Mar 10, 2012.

1. redux

redux Very Tilted

Dont forget Ace's magic beans called supply side economics.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

[​IMG]

Imagine where'd they'd be without any Federal assistance.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

The trends and stats keep going Obama's way.
    But the politics and news cycle and polling aren't.

Will people note this, discount it, ignore it?
    Is it irrelevant...or will it make a difference...should he get credit?

4. rogue49

I've got a summary of Obama's Numbers.
    This comes from FactCheck.org (likely the original fact check site)
    They are much more sober than the other sites...and hit both sides just as often.

Now make sure that you don't just read the summary and graph...but the analysis too. (with links to the sources)

And to give some context, it starts January 2009 and continues to what it the most up to date info,
    and of course...this will be changing even further.

I'd say, you really couldn't see any affect of Obama's actions until at least 6+ months after he started.
    If not the following year start, when laws and other policy would go into affect.

But it's just food for thought...and interesting to say the least.

5. rogue49

6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

7. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

We have not played Battling Factoids in some time. Wanna go a few rounds? From our (my) favorite publication:

[​IMG]

From JFK To Bush, Treasury Swelled After 'Tax Cuts For The Rich' - Investors.com

Show me what you've got.
    --- merged: Oct 18, 2012 at 5:21 PM ---
    I am thinking I would rather live in a low cost state like Texas any day over a high cost state like New York. I would pick Arizona over California. I would pick any almost any city before I would pick Chicago for my family - unless I had Oprah kinda money or could afford a Lake Shore Dr. penthouse complete with doorman and 24/7 security a chauffeur and personal body guard.

I currently live in North Carolina and I have spent time in Mount Airy, the real town Mayberry (Andy Grifith Show from the 60's) was modeled after - imagine a city where you can live comfortably, own a home, raise a family and not need a 6 figure income. Lots of places like this. Check it out.

mayberry days rfd in mount airy, north carolina - the andy griffith show nc
    --- merged: Oct 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM ---
    Have we fact checked Romney's claim the GDP is lower this year than the last and last year's was lower than the previous year's? What does that mean to you? Assuming it is true (I actually know it is).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2012
  8. redux

redux Very Tilted

Nice charts, Ace.

But can you show me the source data from OMB, please, so that I know that IBD is not cooking the books to support its own ideological leanings.

As opposed to the detailed recent CRS study that goes back as far as WW II and lays out how tax cuts for the wealthiest had, at best, a marginal impact if any, on economic growth and investment but a more significant impact on the growing income inequality.

9. Baraka_Guru

I can't quite remember what he said exactly, but if we look at the GDP growth rate, it actually fluctuates between 2010 and 2012. The growth rate in 2010 averaged double what we're seeing in 2012, but gains are so far averaging modestly higher in 2012 over 2011. We'll need to see how the rest of the year goes. So Romney wasn't quite right. But he didn't really look at any details or at the big picture; he just glossed over the issue.

For starters, 2010 was actually quite a nice rebound year for the U.S. after a devastating 2009. This is the case especially if you look at relatively stable developed economies such as Canada, Germany, Sweden, Norway, and Finland. For example, the U.S.'s GDP growth averages about double Canada's over the past three years.

If we take this a step further and look at the growth beast that is China, consider this: China's current GDP growth rate has fallen nearly to its lows experienced during 2009 when the global economy was reeling. What does that tell you? Is America anywhere near its own levels in 2009? No. It's not anywhere near those levels.

Is growth disappointing? Yes. However, economists have been going on for many months now that this recovery was going to be slow. It's been slow.

The silver lining? The U.S. is performing better than most (if not all) other developed economies. The rest of the world needs that from an economy the size of the U.S. The rest of the world needs stable developed economies of all sizes to keep trucking on. What it doesn't need are radical policies to experiment with "shocking" the economy back to life, when the problems aren't merely domestic, they're global.

I don't think Romney is a big-picture guy. He doesn't see the folly of confronting China economically in a time such as this. Look at Canada's prime minister. He's been working to open up economic ties with the rising economic dragon, not shut them down. While I don't agree with the openness (due to national and human rights interests), I do at least agree with the economic sensibility of it.

Romney's position on China is yet another reason he would be a disaster in the White House. And to think he's had bad takes on Russia and Europe as well.

It is folly. Collectively, the economies of the nations he's rubbed the wrong way (and would rub the wrong way and more as president) dwarf America's own. What is he thinking?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  10. redux

redux Very Tilted

Ace....How would you explain that revenues decreased right after Reagan's big tax cuts for the top and revenue only increased with the hike of FICA taxes Or that the biggest revenue increases in the last 50 years were during the Clinton years.

11. Baraka_Guru

It would also help to cross-reference the data to such things as the business cycle, GDP growth, the employment rate, spending on social program, etc., because, you know, tax cuts are certainly not the only thing that encouraged revenue increases (if at all). Although I hate how often this term gets tossed around: correlation does not equal causation.

12. redux

redux Very Tilted

I think there probably is a more direct causation of the rise of the gini index (measuring income inequality) and the Reagan and Bush tax cuts for the top.

13. Aceventura

Pick a topic, please. Are we discussing tax cuts and income disparity? Tax cuts and government revenues? Tax cuts and economic growth? What? different questions have different answers. But we know that don't we, unfortunately some don't. Some who do know take advantage of that by conflating the questions and taking untenable positions on these questions reverting to demagoguery to support a political agenda.

We know that in some high tax rate situations, tax cuts are a net good in any context and that in some low tax rate situations, tax rate increases are a net good in any context. Supply-siders acknowledge this and the Laffer curve illustrates it (some dispute the shape of the curve but the base principle stands correct).

Do you try to justify that ever increasing tax rates on some people always results in a net good in all circumstances? Of course you don't. So what is the argument? You try to falsely justify tax increases. Being honest, why not simply say you want to tax the rich more in order to redistribute income. What is wrong with saying that? We can disagree, but lets be honest about what we disagree on.
    --- merged: Oct 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM ---
    Government revenues are most closely correlated to economic growth, not nominal tax rates.
    --- merged: Oct 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM ---
    Kaysian economic policy has two edges. One, government deficit spending will stimulate economic activity in the "short-run". In the "long-run" government deficit spending will have the opposite affect of the "short-run" benefits. President Obama's deficit spending to stimulate the economy had predictable results and we see it playing out. Initial relatively strong economic growth followed by relatively weak economic growth.

In an ideal situation Kaynsian economic policy kicks in in the short-run giving the private sector just enough time to resume normal economic growth. Problem with the President Obama recovery is that he failed to address the problems business faced to resume normal economic growth. Canada addressed this issue, the US did not.
    --- merged: Oct 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM ---
    Income is irrelevant compared to real wealth creation. First, think about Mark Zuckerberg - his income compared to his wealth. Second, think about those who control capital and what they pay their CEO's, executives, management, white-collar, blue collar employees - payroll expenses compared to returns on invested capital. Just looking at these two points it becomes clear how foolish it is to focus on income. Real rich people laugh at the liberal quest for income equality.

I am curious - would you rather earn $1 and grow your net wealth by $1 million dollars or earn $1 million dollars and grow your net wealth ( or net worth equaling what you own less what you owe) - by $1. This is a trick question, given your position on taxing the rich - in chess this is what we call a gambit. answer at your own risk.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
  14. Baraka_Guru

This assumes the "long run" includes the opposite end of the business cycle. Stimulus spending during an up economy risks overheating it, which is why stimulus spending is only used during recessions and recoveries.

We're far from being done with the recovery worldwide. Ongoing stimulus spending should have the expected effect for the next couple of years at least.

Are you suggesting the stimulus is causing weak economic growth? That it's dampening growth? I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Demand has improved recently, but it may be a while before healthier growth is posted. Remember, the U.S. unemployment rate has only recently fallen below 8% (the lowest in nearly three years). Give it time. Demand will pick up again, especially if the rate continues to drop.

Again, I'm not sure what you're talking about specifically. One issue that differs between Canada and the U.S. is that Canada didn't have an financial sector meltdown that it needed to fix. Canada didn't have a mortgage crisis that it needed to fix, though policies have changed to further tighten up rules for first-time buyers as a way to cool down the heated market (and it's worked so far).

Comparatively, the U.S. rules in both mortgages specifically and the finance sector generally are loose and fast. Canada's system is more regulated to ensure breakneck risks aren't taken by either institutions or their clients. So, basically, it's not that Canada addressed any issue; it's that it already had a system in place that works and was stable even in tough times. But, yes, the U.S. needs to address a number of issues regarding its financial system.

If credit is a problem in the U.S. right now (for both businesses and consumers), it's likely because of a system that has failed Americans wholesale. In this respect, perhaps Obama has failed or at least been mediocre. Perhaps further reforms are required to stabilize the system and alleviate fears that cause credit to be scarce.

15. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Yes, the new world order of investment. Possibly before your time, Ace, but investors used to invest in real businesses with real money - you know, where real people actually work. Too risky these days with less than attractive returns on their investment than say investing in hedge funds, derivatives and speculative markets.

So why oh why do you and yours keep trying to sell the bullshit that lowering taxes on investments will create jobs? Please explain this to me, Ace.

Lowering the corporate tax rate would be more effective when talking about job creation.

16. rogue49

Hate to be a grammer nazi...it's Keynesian.
    But then again, I'm terrible at grammer...so maybe I just wanted to fulfill Godwin's Law. (nazi)

Quite frankly, I'm tempted to get Paul Krugman in on this...he knows tons more than me.

Credit is a problem in the US, not because of US government...but because the financiers are now being more strict than they were before crisis.
    They got their hands burnt and asses handed to them...so liquidity tanked...and now they are stick in the muds.

BTW...anyone that knows what really happened, realizes the Stimulus wasn't supposed to be the big silver bullet in itself, actually doing anything literally.
    Anything done was bonus...it was a mental "booting" of the economy, showing the scared Wall Streeters that the Federal government was doing "something".
    And that in turn would kick them in the pants, morale-wise and get them to start buying and lending again.
    It was a kick-start, a throttle and choke....liquidity had frozen, something had the break the ice.
    And it was what the divided government could get through at that time.

Keynesian economists like Krugman...well they wanted MORE, to actually get things going.
    It's debatable how much did good...but at least it DID get them going again....slowly.
    The Keynesians have been saying that we didn't give enough...to allow more momentum to gain...push money into the system.
    And they're saying that's why it's lagged in higher growth rates.
    And still the powers that be in companies...they're still kind of lingering, not quite allowing full scaling up or investiment (which has some risk)

So that's a good question, spend more now...yes, it adds to your debt...but potentially you gain it back through investment.
    Or keep a tight ship, cut back...prevent spending and adding to the debt...but you potentially will stagnant.
    These are the decisions that sagas are written about.

Personally, I agree with the Keynesians...spend it...get money into the system.
    But put it into things that feed back into the system. Infrastructure, Oil Refineries, Morgage rewrites and more...
    Things that allow the country as a whole to gain benefit, both short and long term.
    And allow the public to get a grip so they can start climbing again.

Allowing things to stagnate and drown does nobody any good but the vultures.

The funny thing is this...those people who say that they do NOT want to add to the debt with stimulus, allow people/entities to fail, not invest.
    Are the same people who want to give tax breaks, which increases the debt or keeps it up...because they say it allows people/entities to reinvest.
    They don't trust government at all.

Me, I trust government...I just think it's terribly wasteful and inefficient.
    But I trust Wall Street too...I just think they're corrupt and inconsiderate.
    Each has its place.
    Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

I just want everyone to stop the friggin' philosophy...start being pragmatic and practical.
    Fuckin' act.

17. Aceventura

Is there a cost to stimulus spending? Yes. When does that cost get imposed? No one suggests that more and more and more and more government deficit spending, Kaynsian style, leads to perpetual economic growth. This is the fundamental point of my previous post. Listening to liberal economic argument it is not clear if there is agreement.

Government spending is based on taking $1 in order to spend $1, using debt, or simply printing money. Fundamentally if $1 is directed from an inefficient use to a efficient use, it will be stimulative in the long-run, i.e. spending on a need road that spurs trade. This illustrates a legitimate role of government regardless of where the economy is in the business cycle.

In some cases government spending is less efficient than private sector spending, this hurts economic growth. In some cases government spending is inflationary or the illusion of growth. In some cases the cost of government spending is deferred and has to be paid for through increased taxation at some point in the future - perhaps good for me but bad for the next guy or next generation.

Large corporations are reporting third quarter financial results. We are starting to see some misses on the revenue side. This is not a good sign. To me this indicates demand has not improved relative to expectations. It is possible that expectations were too high. Either way to me it is not a positive.

I never bought into the "saved from the brink" line. I think we could have let failing financial institutions fail. As I see it for every big loser there was a big winner on the other side of the trade. Simply, some got a bailout at the expense of tax payers- only to get bigger, gaining more market share and earning record profits after the bailouts. The 2007/08 recession did not have to be as deep or last as long as it did. I suspect we will drift into another recession or we are in one now.

18. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

I'm a firm believer in Obama having done a good job over the past 4 years, and love how he handled the charity dinner as well.

Source: Obama, Romney in (mostly) friendly duel of wits | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

• Like Like x 2
  19. Baraka_Guru

Keynesian-style stimulus spending is meant to be temporary. The idea is to spend during the dips and pay down debts during the peaks. Clinton's economic record is probably the best example of this method in action. The Clinton administration began posting surpluses about six or seven years following the previous recession. The next time a deficit was posted coincided with the recession in early 2001, which occurred a few months after Clinton left office.

I don't think inefficient spending vs. efficient spending necessarily dictates the amount of economic growth. After all, oil spills and increasing cancer rates stimulate the GDP. As for accumulating deficits, it's a matter of managing them based on the business cycle. Once a recovery has made its gains, that's the time to reduce the deficit and hopefully post surpluses to pay down debt. This can happen regardless of spending efficiency or whether taxes need to be raised.

This kind of news has been the case for a while now. I think expectations are high due to the performance of stocks, but much of that may be due to market capitalization rather than revenue performance, overall in the long run. Perhaps we're simply seeing corrections based on the reality that is soft demand. However, after seeing recent performance in auto and home sales, things are looking better than they have been.

First, the winners would have been the few, and the losers would have been the many. Second, this would have hit the middle class much harder than it was already hit. The U.S. would therefore be in a much worse position now than it is. Third, there is no recession currently. What's happened this year is merely slowing growth. U.S. GDP growth has fluctuated since 2010 but has, on average, been stronger than most developed nations.

Once the middle class stabilizes, GDP growth will resume at higher rates, closer to the historical average. What's happening now is that many consumers are or have shed a lot of debt. They haven't been spending at anywhere near the rate they would normally. Household debt levels haven't been this low in 18 years (and Americans have actually returned to a positive savings rate). That's a good sign. If current indicators keep on track or improve, 2013 could be a good year recovery-wise.

20. redux

redux Very Tilted

Wall Street might not like Obama, but he sure has been good for the stock market.

The Dow Jones industrial average has gained 67.9 percent since he took office — the fifth best for an equivalent period among all American presidents in the last 100 years.

[​IMG]