1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Obama - Actually doing a good job?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Mar 10, 2012.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

heh...it's just like Eddie Murphy's character in "The Distinguished Gentleman" is told.
    Doesn't matter what you pick, you'll get paid either way. :rolleyes:

Oh well, I'm not naive enough to think that our reps aren't getting theirs...nor do I really care that much, unless outlandish.
    Might as well enjoy some reverse trend of some lawyers actually gunning for citizen protectionism.
    I know my health likes it.

2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am always astounded at the double think of certain types of Republicans. They want to see high wages and a growth in the middle class and yet they shout (some might say scream) for the very policies that have seen a depression of wages and the gutting of the middle class. It's astounding to watch really.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It's like how they love liberty except when they don't.

4. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

It's like how they hate taxes except for low-middle class wage earners.
    It's like how they're all for religious freedom except if the religion is Islam.
    It's like how they hate big government unless it's in a woman's vagina.
    It's like how they love the democratic system of voting except when they want to suppress it.
    It's like how they hate bailing out big financial institutions except...they obviously don't hate it enough to agree that regulatory actions should be taken.
    It's like how they love isolationism except when there's a chance to bomb foreigners.
    It's like how they hate the import of Chinese manufactured products but they love Walmart.

Having too much fun. Gotta stop.

• Like Like x 2
  5. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

how kind and carrying of barrack.

6. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

7. rogue49

Hey, I've never doubted that Obama was a politician.

And as a politician, he'll leverage everything to his advantage and cover his ass.

But as long as his same actions work to my advantage and cover my ass.
    And do it better than the other person he's competing against.

That's how to win my vote.
    And why they call it politics. ;)

8. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

oh look conserviland just dropped a shocking bombshell video.... from 2007... that was already released.... this is looking good for mccain/palin

9. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i saw the usual idiocy on drudge. we'll see if the right's sleaze machinery can make something of this. risky move, though. it plays to a lot of problematic areas for populist conservatives. might not be worth it. but i doubt that will stop them.

10. Joniemack

Sometimes it's all in the spin, samcol. This close to election day, nothing can be taken at face value.

After Obama guidance, Lockheed won't issue layoff notices this year - The Hill's DEFCON Hill

Political staging.

11. redux

redux Very Tilted

12. rogue49

Man, am I tired of the whole fuckin' bluffing game...either way.
    Just get something done.

13. rogue49

Is he doing a good job yet??
    Good enough, not enough
    How good do you want it??
    [​IMG]

14. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

15. Joniemack

Aside from the Great Depression, which prior recessions qualify as comparable norms?

16. rogue49

Boy...friggin' roller-coaster goes day by day now...
    People are reacting to their emotions to the media cycle like watching a tennis match.

One moment, the "whole election" is in the bag for Obama.
    The next after what was basically a mediocre debate either way, but one was a bit more animated...Romney is on "The Rise"
    And now, with Obama throwing out a few fiesty words after the fact...and some numbers going is way, he was put "Back On Track".

It's like watching the headlines reporting on the stock market, seeing a 20 point decrease...calling it a DROP or Stocks Dive.
    Our reporting has gotten so tabloid...

17. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

Depending on how we define recession we get different answers but to start here is a chart of comparable norms:

[​IMG]
    Two Charts Imply Current U.S. Recession May Be Longest in History - Seeking Alpha

this chart looks at the common economic definition of recession. Assuming this definition the Bush recession actually started in 12/07 and was over before Obama started his Presidency. However, President Obama calls the initial period of his Presidency the "Great Recession" - I really don't know what this means and what he thinks he did to corrected it - but whatever he did many economic indicators are lagging relative to past recoveries. And we may be at the brink of a double-dip recession or the start of a new one - depending on one's perspective.

18. Joniemack

First of all Ace, the chart does not define an economic recession. It only measures the duration of each recession.

Secondly, I gather that you feel it's accurate to compare the breadth and scope of of the 2007-2009 recession to all other post WWII recessions? Your opinion is not widely held. In fact, I don't know of any economists who have had to go out on a limb by saying that it was indeed the worse economic recession since the Great Depression and would result in a much longer period of recovery than past recessions.

Yet you hold Obama responsible for not proving the economists wrong.

A horse sprains an ankle, he might be up walking in a few weeks. A horse breaks a leg, he's shot. Bush broke the horse's leg. Obama has managed to save the horse's life and at least the animal is standing up now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. redux

redux Very Tilted

It was certainly the worst jobs loss (over 2.5 million in 2008) and the worst yearly economic growth (-5 to -8% in 2008) in any single year since the Great Depression.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  20. Joniemack

A mere bag of shells. Ace wears rose-colored contacts. "All things being equal" is his mantra to ensure that all things can and should be regarded as equal.