1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2023/2024 Season

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Chris Noyb, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Belichick is out as HC of the Patriots. A mutual agreement...hmm...maybe so.

Pete Carroll has "stepped down" as HC of the Seahawks. Yeah, right.

The Bears cleaned out most of their offensive coaching staff. And kept Eberflus. And won't commit to Fields. I'm thinking Fields should prep for getting traded...unless the Bears receive some seriously beneficial offers to trade down in the draft.

Edit: College. Saban is retiring.

2. Chris Noyb

Jarod Mayo. Who's he? The new HC of the Patriots. A linebackers coach with a light resume, but with the Patriots.

3. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I just tuned in to the Texans game.
    Wow! Very impressive!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

Cleveland Browns
    offensive points 14
    defensive points 0

Houston Texans
    defensive points 14
    offensive points 31

14 - 45 is very impressive. Hell, a 10 point win would've been impressive.

I'm biased, & probably jumping the gun, but I think now the other AFC teams in the POs have to be taking the Texans extremely seriously.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 13, 2024, Original Post Date: Jan 13, 2024 ---
    Nearly the entire first half was back & forth. The second half was all Texans. The first pick 6 was devastating, the second sealed the deal.

Edit: Now NBC, with blessings from the NFL, is screwing fans.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
  5. Chris Noyb

I think the Texans defense deserves a special mention, outside of the obvious allowing only 14 points.

Garbage time started after the second pick six, with about four minutes left in the third quarter (I might not have the time right). The Texans prevent defense allowed Flacco to pad his numbers, gladly letting the Browns eat up the clock, but didn't give up so much as a field goal.

I want to credit Stefanski for not calling meaningless timeouts when the game was over before it was over. It irritates the crap out of me when coaches do that in pure garbage time.

Pointing out the obvious...Flacco's fans need to open their eyes. His numbers, & those of the receivers, aren't what they seem when you take away the fourth quarter. Yes, garbage time padding can be applied every QB's numbers.

Did anyone tell the Chiefs they were supposed to run the ball on most plays?

The people predicting the Dolphins lousy play in the freezingĀ² cold were correct.

6. Chris Noyb

How about the Green Bay Packers? They put a serious ass stomping on the cowgirls...although giving up two late TDs to make it a sixteen point game was not cool.

Now what is Jackass Jerry going to do? I think we can say Dan Quinn will get sacked.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

Congrats to the Detroit Lions for their first playoff game win in 32 years!

I kind of feel for Stafford, but he did win a SB after the Lions traded him. I'm sure Goff was ecstatic, at least on the inside.

8. fflowley

We were traveling yesterday. My wife pointed to a screen at the airport and said "Check that out", it was in the third quarter and the Packers were blowing them out.
    Some interesting game results this weekend.
    Let's not have any surprises in Buffalo today!

9. Chris Noyb

They don't. I like their chances visiting the yo-yo Chiefs better than visiting the hot Ravens. Which would rely on the Steelers upsetting the Bills :(.

Of course if the Chiefs get hot the Texans could be burnt toast.

Edit: Why does the software keep grabbing the previous quote and including it? It's hard to describe/explain, but it's totally annoying.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  10. Chris Noyb

The Steelers lucked out on the sideline fumble, then got double karma in return. A seriously stupid throw by Rudolph. A seriously great run by Allen.

Will the Texans end up in Baltimore?

Whatever the outcome, will Tomlin decide it's time for a fresh start? A beat down loss could take the decision out of his hands.

11. Chris Noyb

Congrats to the Bills!

This was strange game in the sense the final score doesn't really reflect how the Steelers fought back & how the Bills had to work for the win. When it looked like the Bills were winning big the Steelers fought back, then the Bills slowly pulled away.

But now the Texans get visit the Ravens.

The Eagles have come back, sort of (very close to half time). If I had to pick the "easiest" NFC PO team for them to play it would've been the Bucs.

12. fflowley

Chris I'm not counting out the Texans at all against Baltimore.
    Baltimore was on fire to close out the season.
    I'm not sure sitting starters in the final game, then having a bye week, was a good thing in that situation.
    It really disrupted the roll they were on.

Bills - Chiefs in Buffalo. Allen and Mahomes. What more is there to say?

NFC East......WTF? A month ago (OK 6 weeks ago for the Eagles) the Cowboys and Eagles were big contenders for a Super Bowl run. Both are already out.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

Lamar Jackson's running could be the big difference. I'm trying to recall if the Texans have faced a running QB, certainly not one at Jackson's level.

The Eagles were spiraling downwards before the POs, it's a good thing they didn't face the girls in the WC.

The Bills and Chiefs appear back to form. Mentioning running QBs, Allen's TD run was a thing of beauty.

Could we have a true sleeper teams SB, say Texans vs Bucs? Years ago I posted that Mayfield was an immature anus, but he might mature into a real starting QB and end up playing for the right team at the right time. Have both happened?

• Like Like x 1
  14. fflowley

I'm not biting on the sleepers....yet. I think the Niners and Ravens are too good, with the Chiefs/Bills/Lions a tier below them.
    If we see more upsets this weekend then anything goes.
    I'll be honest I'm hoping against hope that the Texans can take the Ravens out. I'd be very happy with my chances with a Bills-Texans AFC championship game in Buffalo.

15. Chris Noyb

The Cinderella Texans clock might be reaching midnight soon. But...with Stroud we could possibly win a score fest.

Ravens vs 49ers seem most likely.

Chiefs vs Bills could be a shootout, or a FG fest.

I do not want the Bucs to take out the Lions, Detroit deserves something to celebrate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Chris Noyb

17. Chris Noyb

My totally pissed off comment:

The pussy Texans should've just stayed home.

18. fflowley

Give it some time.
    There's so much good that happened for them this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

The Packers showed how to be competitive as a serious underdog.

The Texans showed how to play like shit and get stomped.

--Zero points from our actual offense.
    --Four points, 3 + 1, from our kicker. And a missed FG, but TBF 47 yards isn't a chip shot.
    --Six points, a TD, from special teams.
    --10 first downs, total.
    That is a totally pathetic.

The defense wasn't much better, but the offense left them on the field a long time.

--The Ravens are very good, & experienced, team.
    --They have been on a tear all season.
    --They have a, maybe the, top ranked defense.
    --Jackson in mostly the 2023 MVP. He has also been on a tear this year.
    --The Ravens had a bye week, & many starters were also rested in the final regular season game. That's two, and partially three, weeks to rest & recover.
    So it's no surprise the Ravens won.

That doesn't change the Texans' pathetic performance on offense.

49ers fans need to be concerned. The certain path to the SB has suddenly become very hazardous . But I've been rooting for the Lions (maybe I should stop :p).

20. fflowley

Stepping back to look at the bigger, glass half full picture:
    The Texans went from being an embarrassment to making the playoffs in an unprecedented rapid turnaround.
    They have a rookie QB whose potential looks unlimited. They have excellent coaching now too.
    They beat the Browns in the playoffs and they went to halftime tied with the Ravens, the team that seems most likely to win the Super Bowl.
    There's no shame in what happened to them yesterday. They got beat by a superior team with lots of playoff experience.

Lick your wounds and come out with a smile on your face!