1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix Instant Viewing Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by lionrock, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Which should I watch first: Mad Men or Breaking Bad?

2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Those are both in my instant viewing que. I have seen the pilot episode of Mad men and part of the pilot episode of Breaking Bad.
    Personally I am leaning toward watching more Mad Men when I have the time over Breaking Bad, but they both sound interesting.
    I am curious if this Walt character beats the lung cancer seeing the show is now on its 5th season, or whatever else happens with that. Fortunately the entire run will be on there long before I get to that point if I start watching it properly.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Be warned: Breaking Bad is fucking depressing. So, so depressing.

I had to make my husband stop watching it in my presence. I was tired of being sad.

4. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

If you like House of Cards, watch Swimming with Sharks.

Netflix - Swimming with Sharks

[​IMG]
    Naive Guy lands a job as assistant to Buddy Ackerman, a repulsive studio exec who turns Guy's daily routine into a pride-swallowing siege. Guy is eager to climb the ladder of success, but Buddy stops at nothing to grab credit and foil Guy's plans.

5. Baraka_Guru

I just finished watching Episode 2. It's not a happy show. I'm sure it gets worse.

6. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

We didn't make it past ep3 and we were told that you have to power through it. I'll get back there soon. Same goes for The Wire.

7. Baraka_Guru

I wanted to revisit The Wire, but it's not on Netflix. I watched most of the first season, but I was using the DVDs, which is really cumbersome for me. They were borrowed. I returned them.

8. Speed_Gibson

I wish that Dexter was on streaming. The new season for me is season 3. I just haven't managed to get the DVDs yet, and would love to see what happens in this show without paying more to another streaming site.
    On the plus side Netflix suggested I might like Von Ryan's Express when I searched for Dexter just now. Added that to my instant viewing que instantly. One of my favourites and one of Old Blue Eye's best films right up there with Manchurian Candidate*.

*I have passed on that remake so far and am in no hurry to change that. That original film had the perfect cast and a superb story. Even the trailer for the newer one said "hell no" to me.
    Starting to think I have a general bias to black and white and silent films overall.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  9. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Hit & Miss was kind of an interesting show. It's a British production starring Chloe Sevigny as a pre-op transexual (male-to-female) who works as a contract killer. She gets a letter from an old girlfriend on her deathbed who tells her that she has a son. She goes to see him to find that there are four children living alone in the house and from there becomes entangled in a series of events...while keeping up her life as a killer. It's pretty good. Dark, not a happy-go-lucky show. Sevigny is stellar, as always.

They just have the first season - 6 episodes - up, but I buzzed through them pretty quickly.

10. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Just as an aside, Hulu has a pretty great selection of movies. Esp. documentaries and foreign films. Last night, I watched The Times of Harvey Milk, which is a really great documentary about the man. Hadn't see it since the day...1984. Such an unfortunate loss, that one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

Breaking Bad has more action and story in one episode than an entire Mad Men season. Watch Mad Men if you want to take a nap.

---

Continuum
    The Finder
    Ted Talks: Life Hacks
    Ted Talks: Icons

12. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Surely breaking bad has more 'action.' It's a show about the drug trade. I disagree that it has more 'story.' What does that even mean?

They are vastly different shows and both excellent. Intensity does not imply better quality...or even watchability.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baraka_Guru

I'm not looking for cheap thrills.

You know what else has a lot of action and story?

The Real Housewives.

14. Speed_Gibson

I enjoyed the first episode of Mad Men, it captured that period well. That new blonde secretary looks like a promising character as well.
    In regards to Breaking Bad, I watched the first episode once many moons ago and cannot remember that much of it. Something about a second job at a carwash to help pay bills, hearing he has cancer, and teaming up with a dropout he used to teach. I am assuming in the ensuing episodes and seasons he has increasingly violent encounters with the criminal element, tension with the DEA/other cops, and there is an increasing body count as it progresses. Sounds like good reasons to watch in my opinion.

15. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

Let me make a minor correction: Mad Men has an excellent story, character development and is quite realistic. The problem I have with the series is that it takes forever for anything to happen and I am apathetic when something does happen to a character(s). The show did make me realize that everyone back in the early 50-60’s discussed the same topics we discuss presently: religion, politics, race, war and different opinions on the president. In a way, Mad Men made me care less about politics and current events and more about investing in companies (many discussed in the show are still around today) that have been around for the last 60 years.

As for Breaking Bad: the story can be a bit depressing on occasion since Walter White has cancer and his life is not going so well professionally and personally, but if you stick around long enough you will definitely see a drastic personality change in Walter White.

16. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

on Hulu.

I watched this documentary the other night called Poto and Cabengo. It is about these twin girls, six years old, who had invented their own language that they spoke to each other (only) with. German and English was spoken in their house and they understood and could speak both...but their shared language is neither. I can't shake it, I keep thinking about it. I learned the word 'idioglossia.' Good word.

I love Hulu. They have some really interesting movie selections.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  17. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

I've been wondering if we should start a Hulu Viewing Suggestions thread....
    Meanwhile, back on the Netflix, when Mrs Moose and I are up late and the boys are actually asleep and we have a li'l bit of Time To Ourselves (it's rare enough to capitalize), we've been watching the AO Showtime series Satisfaction.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

Orange is the New Black.

19. RebelRooster

RebelRooster New Member

This is really a good show. I enjoyed the first two episodes and will watch the others soon. Well thought out, and interesting stories.

20. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Breaking bad season 5 is now available on netflix. I foresee a marathon in my bed when i get home...that doesn't sound right. Meaning, i will watch all eight episodes in one day from my bed.

• Like Like x 1