1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix Instant Viewing Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by lionrock, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Buffy and Angel are two shows I never saw when they first aired. Some lame excuse like "floating around the Atlantic Ocean or the Med". :) I did see one episode of Buffy in 98? I think where everybody turns into what their halloween costume is, that was interesting. Still have not seen this Angel show but seeing the character on Buffy via Netflix (watched the first 5 episodes think) was different because I knew how David was "supposed to look" from Bones.
    I have seen enough of Gilmore Girls and that is a quick 'you have to pay me to sit through it" response.
    This Friends show doesn't rank much higher personally (I have seen 1 full episode I think, and several snippets),but I can ignore it easily enough if I have to.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Gilmore Girls = magic realism.

If you are trying to take everything at face value, it will bug the shit out of you. If you just enjoy the weirdness and the fast-paced, witty dialogue, you will love it.

As for Buffy, season one is not the best set of episodes on which to judge the series. It finds its voice in series two.

Angel is a little more uneven.

3. Speed_Gibson

I think I stopped watching Buffy because it was not holding my interest enough to continue; Agent Booth and the British guy were my two favourite characters from what I saw.. I like the fast pact dialogue in excellent films like His Girl Friday. Might give Gilmore Girls a try or just do the "random episode on TNT" type of thing and just pick one a bit later in the run.

4. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I've been watching anime lately. I guess I'm a bit of a late arrival to the genre but whatevs.

Most recently on Netflix I've just finished Gurren Lagann. It's utterly ridiculous. Full of testosterone. Worth watching if you grew up on stuff like Power Rangers and Voltron, or if you enjoy shows that don't take themselves very seriously.

It has a couple of surprisingly poignant moments, but mostly it's just constant rule of awesome.

5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Come on in, the water's fine.

6. Speed_Gibson

My anime collection is Cowboy Bebop (don't have the film but I have seen it) and Ghosts in the Shell. Don't know much beyond that unless Castle in the Sky and Spirited Away qualify as well.

7. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I've been watching the Black Butler animes.
    Some very dark ground there.

8. snowy

You've got a lot of catching up to do. There are a lot of great series available online for streaming.

Sebastian has to be one of the sexiest fictional characters I've ever seen. Like, ever. I watched Black Butler a couple years ago, and Kuroshitsuji (the manga) has been on my to-read list like, forever. I need to get to it.

9. redravin

Not sure how sexy I'd find someone who was going to eat me when he'd finished being my servant.
    Still a very good series.

Have you seen Deadman Wonderland?
    Some seriously dark stuff there.

10. snowy

Hey, he's not going to eat me, and even if he were, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't object.

And no, I haven't.

11. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I'm not sure if this is a Netflix selection, but here goes.

Earlier today I saw most of a movie titled AmericanEast. It was pretty interesting, and I plan to find out when it's showing again so I watch it start to finish. It's about a Muslim family from Egypt stuggling to adjust to living in the US; the link explains the plot further if anybody is interested. Usually the networks shrink the credits and/or run them so fast you can't read them. The names in the credits were an interesting mix of Middle Eastern & Jewish names, which makes sense given the plot of the movie.

AmericanEast (2008) - IMDb

• Like Like x 1
  12. redravin

I'll have to put that on my list.

13. retrogunslinger

retrogunslinger Vertical

Some folks might be interested to find out that the first six Hellraiser movies are not only pretty entertaining, but also all available (along with their lesser brethren). Hell on Earth is a bit cringey, but even that is entertaining in a what-the-fuck-is-happening kind of way.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

AmericanEast is pretty good, if nothing else it makes you think. Tony Shalhoub was one of the producers, and had a large role in the movie, it was nice to him outside of his Monk role. Sarah Shahi also stars, I only know her from Person of Interest.

Walk On Water is another makes-you-think movie. It's about an assassin for Mossad who befriends a brother & sister from Germany in order to get close to their war criminal grandfather. It's best not know any more about the plot.

15. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

"The Natural History of the Chicken". I swear it has to be a mockumentary. I've only watched 5 minutes so far, and probably won't watch the rest, but I was laughing hysterically.

16. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

We just finished Soul Eater. Took a while, but I enjoyed it. I had moments where I felt like the frequent nudity was a bit excessive but I'm starting to think that's just an anime thing. They're all build like barbie dolls anyway so I guess it's not too bad.

I also recently watched Particle Fever, which is a documentary about the Large Hadron Collider and the search for the Higgs Boson. It was pretty neat. I'd recommend it but only if you're into kind of nerdy physics stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  17. redravin

The Mighty Johnsons, very cool New Zealand import about a family of brothers who are Norse gods (only it's more complicated).
    A lot of fun and nicely done.

18. redravin

Another one from down under.
    Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.
    A great series set in Melbourne after World War I about a female private detective and her assortment of friends including the two communist cabbies, an orphan pickpocket she makes her ward, a butler with a wonderful assortment of weapons, a devout Catholic maid who is willing to bend the rules 'just this once', a woman doctor who shocks society by passing out family planning pamphlets, and a cynical but honest detective inspector who works with Miss Fisher because he knows she's just going to keep coming back no matter what he does.
    I've read they spent a million dollars an episode and it shows.
    You really can't tell that they aren't in 1915 Australia.
    The writing is fun and snappy with even the standard tropes handled in new ways.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Johnny English Reborn. Gotta love Rowan Atkinson as a secret agent. Think Inspector Clouseau as a spy instead of a policeman. This is supposedly a sequel. Gotta find the first movie.

• Like Like x 1
  20. omega

omega Very Tilted

I heard the first one is called Johnny English, you might want to start there.