1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix Instant Viewing Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by lionrock, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Misguided

Misguided Vertical

Cold Cases started out slow, but has been getting better with every episode.

2. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

The first season of Magic School Bus is on Netflix.

You're welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I just watched a documentary about Jeffrey Dahmer. I know, I know, but it wasn't like that. It wasn't that graphic, just enough. It consisted mostly of interviews with the detective who got Dahmer's confession, the medical examiner who pieced together the victims and one of his neighbors whom he had befriended. During the credits, they showed footage of that apartment building being torn down. It was a good way to end it.

The Jeffrey Dahmer Files, it was called.

4. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

5. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

If you're into Foreign Films:
    Battle Royal,
    Ip Man,
    Legend of the Fist,
    Shaolin Soccer,
    Blood - The Last Vampire,
    Troll Hunter,
    Shinobi,
    Dragon Tiger Gate,
    Little Big Soldier,
    Dead Snow ( Nazi Zombies - CRAZY ),
    The Good-The Bad & The Weird

6. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Yes, yes! I did like Orange is the New Black to a point.
    I started NY Ink again, but the drama pisses me off, so I often skip to the tattoos. I was a little desperate.

They don't have Empire Records on Netflix, which makes me sad.

7. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I agree about the 'Ink' shows. What a failure, they could be so much better.

8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Dead Snow is hilarious!

9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

My SO finally set up a separate profile for me on Netflix (I didn't know about that feature), and after setting up my likes/interests profile, I notice it's recommending some anime to me. Full Metal Alchemist is suggested, which is good. I liked the few episodes I watched a few years back. I may want to pick it up again.

Any other recommendations? I know snowy is into this kind of stuff, but I'm not sure whether I'd like Naruto per se. I'm big on fantasy (both "traditional" and urban/modern). I love the work of Hayao Miyazaki (that I've seen so far) and a lot of what Studio Ghibli produces.

Features/series, no matter. I just want something cool, even if it's off the wall like FLCL (which is brilliant).

Any recs?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  10. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

While you're at it, try out Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. It follows the manga. You might also like: Blood+. It's pretty fantastical and bizarre. One of my favorites is Darker Than Black. Black Butler is also excellent.

11. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

The Captains Up Close (with William Shatner). Interviews with and about each of the Trek captains. First episode, Avery Brooks. The cat is intense.

12. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I've watched two really good movies on Netflix in the last week.

The Central Park Five. An excellent documentary by Ken Burns about the five teens who were railroaded and imprisoned for the rape and assault of the 'central park jogger' in the early '80s.

Starlet. An idiosyncratic and charming little film about a young woman's friendship with an elderly woman in Los Angeles. It really exposed how pessimistic I am about 'good movies' - I sat through the whole thing this morning wondering when something bad was going to happen to one of these characters...but it doesn't. It is similar in spirit to Lars and the Real Girl, which I also loved. Bonuses: there is actual fucking in it, natural light photography full of flaws - love that.

I also re-watched two Whit Stillman movies this week: The Last Days of Disco and Metropolitan. I like his slow, talky style of moviemaking.

• Like Like x 2
  13. I would like to second mixedmedia 's suggestion of The Central Park Five.

14. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

We're working through Breaking Bad now. Still in the first season. I like it so far but it's definitely not a happy show.

By the by, for Canadian (or other) friends who are jealous of the US selection:

Media Hint

15. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Just finished watching The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975.

Footage of the Black Power Movement shot by a Swedish television crew over an eight year period. Never seen in the states before this film's release a few years ago.
    This interview with Angela Davis has fully cemented her into my exclusive circle of heroes.

View: http://youtu.be/R2BIZy0HScM

Highly, highly recommend. If you're an American and not watching this film, not informed about the black power movement, then shame on you.

16. curiousbear

curiousbear Terse & Bizarre

I was searching something naughty in netflix and ended up with this wonderful movie.

17. curiousbear

I loved breaking bad and badly waiting for last season to show up on netflix

18. curiousbear

Just watched En lo Camp under foreign movies. Very cute but deep movie. (Very explicit).

19. curiousbear

I hate auto correction in my phone
    The title is En la cama

20. curiousbear

Just watched - The House of the Spirits. Very interesting movie.