1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Mowing, Landscaping, Yardwork, etc.

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Borla, May 13, 2015.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a yard you are responsible for taking care of?

What is your yard like?

Who does the work?

If you do it, how do you feel about it? Nice hobby, or dreaded chore? Do just enough to not be an eye sore, or a garden of perfection?

What equipment do you use?

If you hire it out, what things do they do, and what does it cost?

I have what I consider a fairly standard suburban yard. The lot my house is on is between 10-11k sq ft. The backyard has a vinyl fence around it, I have a decent sized patio, and some basic landscaping along two fence lines and in the front of the house.

When I first moved in about 7 years ago, I kind of enjoyed mowing and caring for my own yard. It was the first time I'd had my own yard since I was a kid. As a kid I did most of the mowing of our various yards. I didn't hate it, but I didn't enjoy it either. As the years have gone on in my current, I have disliked taking care of the yard more and more. The first couple of years I was religious about feeding it, weeding it, watering it, and mowing it. It was in really awesome shape, and was one of the nicest, if not the nicest, lawn on the street. But eventually the time, energy, and expense stopped seeming worth it. So for a year or two I basically only mowed it, and the lack of care started becoming evident. Too many weeds, a couple nasty patches, it went too far the other way. So the last few years I've tried to find a happy medium of investing some time, energy, and money into it so that it doesn't look bad, but not going crazy. I'd say anymore it looks above average, but not awesome like it once did. I'm cool with that.

In the past I did all the work. The last couple of years my wife has offered to mow some, and I've taken her up on it. I'd say she's mowed maybe 1/3 of the time. It is a big help to me, since I travel some and can't do it after work those days, and on the other days I'd rather spend the nice weather days doing something fun. So if she mows while I'm out of town, it gets done, then we can spend time together when I'm home. However, for the first time ever, I paid someone to do it for me yesterday.......more on that in a bit.

My piece of equipment is a Craftsman 21" push mower with a 6.75 Briggs and Stratton engine. I got it about 7yrs ago as a housewarming gift from my father. It has been awesome. I've changed the blades once or twice, but that's it. A joke I've heard about B&S mower engines is that the only way to break one is to change the oil. :p I've never touched it other than the blades. It starts on the first pull every single time, save maybe the first start of each spring, where it might take 2-3 pulls at the most. Couldn't be happier with the reliability. My string trimmer is a Remington battery operated unit. It is okay, but not as powerful as a gas unit, which I kind of wish I had gotten instead. After 5-6 years the battery has gotten to the point where it'll barely last through the entire yard's worth of trimming before it needs recharged. I'm tossing around the idea of either getting a new battery, or just an entirely new and upgraded unit. However, in light of the possibility of having it done professionally, I may not bother.

So, as mentioned earlier, I paid someone to mow my grass yesterday for the first time. I've threatened to do so in the past, but never pulled the trigger. Wait, a correction for full disclosure. I just remembered that two years ago when we went on vacation I paid someone to come mow it twice. THAT is the first time, and only other time. It was someone that I knew who had a mowing business on the side, and they charged me $45 to come do it.

Anyway, we are getting ready to go on another trip, so I decided to get some bids for mowing it while I was gone. We have someone looking after the house, but I did not want them to have to mow. So I searched Craigslist and found three ads for mowing in my town. I called all three. One went straight to voicemail, but the mailbox was full so I couldn't leave a message. Scratch that one off the list, I want someone who I can easily communicate with, for obvious reasons. I call and leave messages on the other two numbers. One texts me back minutes later saying that he'll call me in 90 minutes. He does, and we set up a time that evening for him to come give me a bid. The other calls me back after 10-15 minutes and we set up for him to come by that evening as well. The first guy shows up, looks at my yard, is very friendly, and asks exactly what I'm looking for. I told him that I want the next 4 mowings done (starting with the following day), and I'll evaluate after that if I'm going to go back to mowing it myself, or continue hiring it out. This is so that I can see how well it is done the first time (and be sure it was done) before vacation, have it done twice while I'm gone, and then have one more week after that I don't have to worry about it. I want the grass mowed, all trimming done, and the clippings blown off the drive, walk, and patio. I tell him I have another bid to get, then I'll decide who gets the job. He says he'll do it for $30 per cut. I tell him that I'll give him an answer by the next morning. He texts me later that evening to say that he will give me $10 off the first mowing, so the first time is only $20.

The second guy never shows up. Never calls. I call him once more and get his voicemail, so I forget about him. I text the first guy that he has the job. He tells me he'll be there to mow about 6:15 that evening. I look out the window at 6:16 and he's parked out front. Good communication and reliable, I'm liking it so far. He mows, trims, and blows the grass. Does a good job, probably a touch better than I do myself. We work out that I'll pay him now for the first two cuts, and then I'll pay him for the 3rd and 4th cut after the 4th cut is done. I don't know how he's making money on mowing my yard for $30 (took him over an hour, not including drive time) a pop, but if he's willing to continue to do it for that, I may just keep paying him. This time of year it needs mowed every week. Later in July and August it can probably be dropped to 3x per month. I'd rather free up 60-90 minutes of my time, let alone the work itself, and even have it look better. We'll see, if he stays this reliable that is the route I'm leaning towards. :)

You?

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

No yard work here. We live in an apartment, and we have a nice stretch of lawn out front that the yard people mow every Tuesday. I don't really miss yard work. My husband does, though.

Mostly I miss gardening. I love it.

3. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

We just bought our first lawn mower this past weekend, now that we actually have a yard.

I let C go to Home Depot on his own, so of course the mower he came home with was nearly $400. To be fair, we do have a rather steep grade, and we are on a lot just shy of 1/5 an acre. He bought a 22" Toro All Wheel Driver mower. Our grass is more clumpy bushy grass and now just super long sod, if that makes any sense. There are a couple different kinds of grass growing.

Right now, the novelty of having a yard is unfolding along with the realism of cost of upkeep. We just got a quote last night for an updated fence, using mostly chain link for now, which was over 3k. Forget home decor, all our funds are going to the exterior at the moment.

Attached Files:

4. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

We do have a nice lawn front and back, side grass, and various flowers and decorative plants put in by the previous owners of the house. We hire a very good and very reasonable landscaping crew to mow the grass, trim back the vegetation, trim back some of the tree branches when necessary, and once or twice a season do some fertilizing and mulching. In the winter, the same dudes run a plowing service, and come make sure our walk and our driveway are cleared.

Totally, 150% worth it. I would not want to do any of that shit.

5. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I have a little over an acre in the mountains. My lot is too rugged for a lawn mower, I use a string trimmer once or twice a summer when I start to lose Molly in the grass.

Most of my yard work involves shoveling dog doo and taking down beetle infested trees. I'm getting a bit old for the lumberjack shit; but I'm too cheap to pay anyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  6. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Will respond with pics when I get a chance.
    Our yard is just over 1/3 acre in suburbia. It is mostly lawn at this time.
    Hubby is in charge of pest control and weed/feed application. I maintain our few flower/garden beds and mow when I can, usually just the front yard.
    We just moved to this home. We have big plans for landscaping and gardening in the future, but have promised each other to wait a year before diving in. We want to see what all pops up and how the lighting impacts things. I've been moving existing plants around quite a bit so far, and plan to do more of that. We don't have a veggie garden this year, but we did start a small herb garden.

7. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Things I enjoy: Planting and maintaining trees.
    The vegetable garden.
    The raspberry patches.
    Helping my wife with her flower gardens.

Thing I am thrilled I can afford to pay someone else to do: Mow the grass.

8. girldetective

girldetective Getting Tilted

When I moved to this forsakencantwaittogetottahere place, there was a gas mower left for me. The yard was of reasonable size for an electric one, so I gave the gas one to my new neighbor, and a friend gave me an extra electric mower he happened to have inherited. Surprisingly, I have used it only once because said neighbor, either in gratitude or boredom, has mowed my lawn each time he mows his own! I am quite fortunate to have his helping hand, and try to convey that to him with words of acknowledgement and an occasional bottle of spirits, while what I really want to do is drop to my knees and sob with thanks that he wants to take this on while I abhor it.

My favorite way to garden is in containers large and small, perennials and trees and annuals massed together to create a full mostly ever green space that is usable and pleasant throughout the seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Friday--Three hours in the front yard.
    Saturday--Two hours in the back yard.
    Sunday--Took a break.
    Today--At least two hours in the back yard (it looks like the thunder clouds have passed over our area).

I needed a cheap line trimmer to use until I can get around to repairing the two I have*. The one I bought is for 'occasional use.' It works OK, but I'm actually being careful not to overwork it. On Saturday my hands were tingling like crazy from the vibrations. And it's two-line trimmer; I hate winding the line into two-line trimmers. If you get them wound too tight the line will bind & won't autofeed out properly. If you overlap the line it won't autofeed properly. PITA.

* I have a Stihl FS 55 (purchased used dirt cheap) that I let get gummed up, didn't run it dry, let it sit with 2-cycle mix in it (and I knew better!!). Haven't yet repaired it even though I have the parts. I ran across a Troy Bilt 4-cycle that I bought only because it was really cheap (4-cycle trimmers are heavy and don't have the RPMs of 2-cycle ones), but it bogs & dies when revved. I need to read up on repairing 4-cycle engines, my experience is with 2-cycle.

10. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I have a metric yard - 826 sq metres. I'm a 'do it and get it out of the way' guy, but my wife loves gardening. I mow and she does most of the rest. The biggest issue with keeping it neat are children and chickens (not necessarily in that order). There is a fair bit of foot traffic from the kids and their friends in the backyard, so the grass is fairly bare in patches, including where the sandpit used to be.

My front yard has 2 sets of hedges - one right against the house for shading the western wall and one at the fence line. I have had a dad from school come and tidy the hedges once, but it is pretty expensive.

I just don't have the time or the inclination to look after it more, nor the spare cash to pay someone else to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I live in a wooded area so half the acre doesn't get maintenance due to the trees. the other areas are spotty. so alot of line trimming. and mowing takes a half hour. I do just enough not be be embarrassed. I got other things to do, like play video games and watch tv.

12. omega

omega Very Tilted

I only have grass in the front yard. It's ridiculously small,and takes maybe five minutes to mow. I did hand sprinkle some fertilizer and weed killer this weekend.

13. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

I have grass, rock, trees, plants. I'll mow/trim/edge, take care of the pool, but my back won't handle the heavy lifting of trimming trees & bushes and hauling shit off, so I pay a guy to do that while I have a beer and supervise.

Over the years I've used several services and the bottomline is you have to watch them or the job doesn't get done right.

14. snowy

I'm enjoying the fruits of my non-labor right now. My patio is spotless with an excellent view of a well-trimmed lawn and lovely trees. I did nothing.

15. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Thats the deal I want. Jealousy all about that

16. snowy

The lawn people here mostly do a good job. Mostly. There were some times they mowed this winter when they shouldn't have because all it did was damage the grass.

17. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I know what you mean it is easy to over mow in winter, especially if you are getting paid to do it. Mine needs mowing (even though it is winter). Just a little bit off the top sometime over the weekend.

18. snowy

The ground gets soggy here due to rain, and for some reason, the complex didn't turn off the sprinklers until December. The mowers ended up tearing up some if the grass as a result. I found it strange that it went on as long as it did considering our apartment is very close to the maintenance shed.

19. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I miss having a yard. There's a patch of grass next to our driveway. We can't open the glass door to the balcony or the window above said grassy patch. Because of dog shit.
    Each time I water the plants, a shit bug gets in and we have to try to kill the things before they multiply. I can't wait to get to PDX and have a yard and raised beds.

20. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I miss having the energy to take care of a yard...gimmie some of that and watch me go to work.