1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Internet Lunatics - RadFems, PUA's, MRA's, MGTOW's, etc.

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by OtherSyde, May 5, 2014.

1. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

A sex partner means that you are successful or have been successful in the past. You aren't a loser. You aren't taking part in something that millions of other people are doing everyday, or are bored of doing...

And of course there is pressure. You are only young once. Most people are only at college once when they are the same age as most of the students. And society, family members, and the guys themselves put pressure on you to get in a relationship.

What percentage of the population has been in a relationship? And both genders show off who they are dating. The only people who don't are single guys and gays. And if other people can't figure out a reason you haven't found a girl yet, then that leads to one inaccurate assumption frequently.

2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Sure. I get that, but the expectations behind what you are saying is a toxic mix of socialization and biology.

What would a world look like where not having a sex partner didn't lead someone to feel this way? What would we gain? What would we loose?

3. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

And now for a refreshing change Charlatan and I are on the same side. Whatever the rest of your ideology says I think we can all agree that it's absolutely toxic and devastating for our current social/gender norms to define a man's worth by a combination of material wealth, traditional good looks, and promiscuity. We're going to continue to see all kinds of fallout until young men start being taught that they're not defective, disgusting, or disposable. Self-worth can't come from other people.

I've actually read more of his material than I care to, he devotes enormous portions of it to ideas of racial purity and even rants about wanting to kill people for being better skateboarders than him. If he'd been charismatic enough and had enough self control to manipulate someone into a relationship he almost certainly would've just been an abuser and probably serial killer instead of a mass public shooter.

The author must not be viewing any other newsmedia because an overwhelming majority of coverage is pushing the misogyny angle so hard that many are even claiming he was a perfectly mentally healthy white man.

4. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Somehow I doubt that sexual intercourse is a cure for being an entitled sociopath. I would bet that had this guy found someone to fuck, we wouldn't be hearing about him at all because dude would have ended up going to prison for killing his lover, and crazy assholes killing their lovers is something that rarely makes the national news.

• Like Like x 5
  5. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

6. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

So the right way to have a men's group is for men to completely ignore men's issues and instead hold signs about how bad men are and how badly men treat women, even (or especially?) if those signs are holding up claims that are patently false. Gotcha.

What saddens me is that I'm convinced you honestly do believe that, and genuinely can't see the problem with that line of thinking.

What saddens me more is that I'm not even surprised anymore when someone basically says "Men need to shut up about men's problems", or when it's almost always followed by the attempt to claim feminism is the answer and men should support feminism.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I just finally watched the vid of this guy...and he was a douchebag obviously.
    Which is likely why he wasn't successful with dating and otherwise.

His whole manifesto seemed like a bad cartoon characterization of an supervillian he's seen in the comic movies through the years.
    Each word, carefully chosen...posturing. Or as "The Incredibles" called it, Monologuing.

Now, I don't blame ladies for not reacting positively to his advances if this was the chosen "technique" or personality he approached them with.
    It would be like going out with Lex Luthor. (but without all the super-genius and money and power)
    And I easily see his reaction, if there was any ambiguity at all. (which there is constantly during dating and interactions)

Quite frankly, I don't even think a prostitute would react well to him...the ego was profound as well as the disdain for any slight.

And it is sad really, because he wasn't unattractive, obviously intelligent...or at least well spoken. (at least what you can see from the practiced vid)

Yes, it can be frustrating...but it is frustrating for most of us...I think even the celebs, because the flings are just that...and false.
    They are having sex with a "myth" not the real person.
    Even someone such as Cameron Diaz has noted her past frustrations, a woman you wouldn't think.
    And I'm sure even Brad Pitt has encountered pain & ambiguity in his life.

Life is weird, people are weird, interacting with each other can be weird.
    Hell, I think of all the randomness I have with EVERYONE everyday, much less my own "off" moments, our quirks, our brainfarts, discomforts, etc...
    Now add the fact that you're attracted to the person...you want their attention, you want it as soon as possible. (within your own comfort, of course)
    It's a setup for mixed-up feelings.

Unfortunately, as this article notes, you cannot tell when ANYONE snaps. - Link

Humans...controlled by their brains and hormones...and otherwise...there is a significant randomness that occurs.
    Remember, you not only control your body...but your body control you too.
    How people process that, or handle it, or ignore all the random thoughts and feelings...and prevent themselves from acting bad. Not acting.

And many individual decision making at times...or even for some length are skewed...and how that is applied in life, may be skewed.
    Many are functioning with a top twisted...I'm sure you encounter them everyday. It could be only for that moment, they are like that.
    Even myself, I'm sure I've got twisted moments...everyone does.
    Now add in desire. (likes, dislikes and more...)
    Then add in how someone may react to all that...with their own.
    It's a crapshoot.

Gets down to the Golden Rule folks.
    And a bit of luck and fate.

How do you control angry people??
    You can't...you can only ignore them...or perhaps attempt to reason with them.
    But they aren't likely to change.
    Just work on yourself.

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

You seem to misunderstand what the activism is for. It's activism against misogyny. Surely men can speak out against misogyny without making it all about their own problems (but note that some speak about men themselves in a positive way).

I didn't see anything in the article saying that men need to shut up about men's problems. (Correct me if I'm wrong. It's Sunday morning, and I'm currently struggling with cutting back my caffeine intake.) It's not that they ignored men's issues. It's not that they ignored racial issues. It's not that they ignored GLBT issues. They're speaking out against misogyny specifically.

I've recently come across something that helps illuminate the problems I have with MRAs and the men's rights movement. It's not that I'm ignorant about men's issues, it's not that I'm ignorant about feminism. There really is something off about the movement, and this helps explain what much of that is.

This is from ten years ago. Unless things have fundamentally changed amongst MRAs and the men's rights movement since that time, I don't see why this doesn't still apply. From what I've read here on TFP and elsewhere recently, I'm not convinced much has changed.

— from Chapter 21: "Backlash: Angry men’s movements" by Michael Flood, Ph.D., in The Battle and the Backlash Rage On: Why Feminism Cannot Be Obsolete (2004), Stacey Elin Rossi, ed.

As long as the men's rights movement remains anti-feminist and misogynistic, as long at it remains based on misconceptions and specious claims, I don't see much changing. As long as it remains the same, I don't see it making any real progress on some of the legitimate concerns that it may have about men's suicide rates, workplace safety, victimization rates, etc. In other words, the worst parts of the movement will overshadow the best parts until they can figure out better ways to work towards tackling the problems men face.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I was referring directly to Redravin's statement about how to properly "do a mens group".

Your language reveals the true problem here. Just look at your very first charge. "Anti-Feminist". Down to the very language itself you are utterly set in the belief that the very act of disagreeing with feminism inherently makes something wrong. That anything which opposes feminism, disagrees with feminism's claims, or simply isn't feminism is automatically, utterly, unequivocably, wrong. As long as you continue to believe that nothing I say will ever be enough for you.

That selection's discussion of the MRM is typical of feminist literature, specifically in that it is nothing more than a combination of witch-hunt accusations of misogyny and woman-hating interspersed with patently false claims about the movement designed to paint it in as bad a light as possible. If this is the sort of utterly dishonest garbage you're reading it's really no wonder you're so set against the MRM, particularly since you (and others) have so far utterly refused to seriously consider any ACTUAL material from the MRM itself. I wonder how quick you'd be to dismiss me outright if I constantly refused to ever read anything from feminism itself.

If you want to talk about the "bad parts" of a movement overshadowing the good parts, which is in and of itself incredibly hypocritical of you given how you previously argued against my evidence towards exactly that in feminism, look to your own house: Feminists have responded with so many violent death threats to an MRM conference in Detroit that the hotel is now going to require 24 hour security from an entire squadron of police officers.

There is a word for when a political group repeatedly and consistently employs threats, crime, and violence to affect politics and silence any who oppose them with fears of violence.

We call that terrorism.

The MRM on the other hand, thanks in part to its leading female members, raised a $4,000 bounty to bring someone who attacked a feminist to justice. Time and again feminists commit crimes and acts of violence, and time and again the MRM's stances are vindicated even by RAINN and NCHERM. How long will this pattern continue before you stop basing your judgment of the MRM entirely on the fact that it isn't feminism, and therefore must be in the wrong?

10. Baraka_Guru

How else should a men's group respond to misogyny?

I don't believe that. You're putting words in my mouth. (Please stop.)

You keep using words such as utterly and unequivocably incorrectly. You either don't know what these words mean, or you're using them for rhetorical effect, which, ironically, would be the exact same effect you erroneously criticize in others' posts. I've stated more than once in more than one thread that I've read MRM stuff. It's the MRM stuff from the source that I have the most problems with. It's the MRM stuff from the source that began my history of criticism of the movement. I have already said somewhere here recently that when I first heard of the movement, I was interested in it. It was only when I found out more about it that I became disappointed.

I studied postmodernism, critical theory, gender studies, etc., in university, and that included ideas of feminism and masculinity. I've been exposed to all sorts of ideas when it comes to these issues. Some I've accepted and synthesized, some I've critiqued and continue to critique, and other's I've simply discarded because it's not worth my time. Most of the MRM stuff falls under the latter two. Some of the premises of the MRM are acceptable, in whole or in part, but one should not support a movement or an idea based merely on premises. Much of what I've read from the MRM is based on faulty logic, specious claims, and a basic lack of credence when it comes to academic or even nonacademic cultural study. I just thought it was nice that someone who actually studied this can confirm it.

Trust me, Flood could have done far worse if he were trying to paint the MRM in as bad a light as possible, but his hands are tied considering he's an academic subject to critique amongst his peers.

If the MRM wants to be taken seriously, it needs to take things seriously. It will require more than dubious claims and what amounts largely to propaganda when it comes to logic. It will take more than criticizing opinion pieces on Jezebel with what amounts to little more than MRM Jezebel-like opinion pieces. If you can point me to MRM resources that provide interesting critiques of seminal feminist literature, let me know. Heck, if you can point me to MRM resources that provide interesting critiques of seminal literature on masculinity, let me know.

I'm still willing to accept that a men's rights movement is needed. But the current form of the movement is not something I can support. There is too much negativity about it. There is too much about it that is fundamentally wrong. Like I said before, it's more about what it's against than what it is for.

Tu quoque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cherry picking (fallacy) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hasty generalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cherry picking (fallacy) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hasty generalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

False dilemma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Oh Baraku, what are we going to do with you. You keep saying these things but then you constantly prove that they're not true every time you open your mouth. You're like someone that keeps insisting they're an M.D. with research expertise in immunology who constantly says that vaccines cause autism. An astronomer who claims the earth is flat. A geologist that claims the world is 6000 years old. A climatologist that says there's no such thing as global climate change.

If you actually DID have any familiarity with the MRM, beyond what feminist websites and authors constantly libel it with, you'd know just how many of your claims about the MRM are patently false.

1. Your position is predicated on a claim to moral superiority, hypocrisy is both directly relevant to that and a sidenote to the fact that if something is a legitimate criticism of the MRM it must be an equally legitimate criticism of feminism. Otherwise you are holding a double standard.

2. So when you do find outliers whilst excluding the fact those people are banned and shunned it's a sound argument against the MRM, but when I demonstrate a pattern of far more serious acts of crime and violence which are tacitly condoned you handwave it away with a No True Scotsman and "Feminism Is Not Monolith".

3. Your cry of hasty generalization is invalid as its usage is predicated on inherently invalid logic. Because of your use of "Feminism Is Not Monolith" and your judgment that being "anti-feminist" inherently makes something wrong no evidence will ever be considered sufficient for you, since you simply exclude any counter-evidence as invalid. As long as you take your position as axiomatically correct everything counter to it will always be "specious" or "lacking credence". Like Charlatan's slap in the face a page or so back where he said all it would take for him to "agree with me" is for me to completely concede on all my points and agree with him.

4. False Dilemma is what YOU are doing. Everything to you is either Feminism, or Evil. The mere act of being "Anti-Feminist" leads to being automatically considered wrong, because feminism is axiomatically taken as correct in all things by default. Asking that you NOT force a false dilemma of Feminist or Anti-feminist-therefore-wrong is not, itself, a false dilemma. Your cry that it is however is typical of the feminist tactic of moving the goalposts to create an extremified "with us or against us" dichotomy; much like the teabaggers who claim that not being allowed to force their way on others is "persecution".

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fallacies are not magic. You cannot simply invoke them, and if you base them on an invalid premise they are themselves invalid.

12. Baraka_Guru

I'm probably wasting my time because you like to pretend to know what I think, but: All I've read about the MRM on feminist websites are a handful of half-decent, half-disappointing critiques of the MRM. Everything else? From the MRM.

Look, I told you: I'm willing to accept that the MRM can be legitimate. I have yet to find convincing legitimacy beyond some basic premises that even feminists would agree with.

Perhaps I should read some of the best MRM pieces out there. Maybe you could start by directing me to some of the writings of the more prominent feminist MRAs. Can you recommend anything?

Note: You committed a tu quoque. I criticized something about the MRM and instead of addressing it you pointed to your perception of feminism and my relation to it. This is a logical fallacy. Address it or let it stand.

I didn't handwave it away. I point it out as you picking and choosing a handful of events as demonstrations of why feminism is wrong (like, wholesale: but correct me if I'm wrong). This is both cherry-picking and a hasty generalization based on an extension of a tu quoque fallacy. Address this or let them stand.

I didn't use "Feminism Is Not Monolith." I didn't claim that being "anti-feminist" inherently makes something wrong . But these are beside the point. The point is that very little that has come out of the MRM has been convincing, and most of it is difficult to take seriously for a number of reasons. Your defense of this, for some reason, amounts to attacking feminism, which is a blatant tu quoque fallacy loaded with a one-two punch of cherry-picking and a hasty generalization. These are logical fallacies. Address them or let them stand.

Tu quoque, false dilemma (in response to a false dilemma? Rich), and now a false premise. These are logical fallacies. Address them or let them stand.

I'm a very patient person. (To a fault.) I'm willing to challenge ideas and defend positions, etc., but what I'm not willing to do is accept fallacious arguments and run with them as though it will be fruitful.

I could play Devil's Advocate, but it wouldn't be pretty.

13. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I'd like to expand on something that @Baraka_Guru pointed out concerning your statistics for the deaths and suicides of men along with the lack of support for them.
    I would argue that the problem is much more based in class politics than in gender.
    Going all the way back to Dicken's England the idea of the man being turned out to suffer in the lowest of classes if they couldn't provide is common.
    In the US during the Great Depression men would leave their families to go find work.
    Compared to the hardships suffered by the men in the past, many of whom supported their wives in their efforts to gain the vote and be allowed to have access to birth control, the men's movement of today seems like a whiney bunch indeed.
    The men in those days, like my grandfather, organized the IWW.
    They worked hard to change the life of the men and women who counted.

14. rogue49

Agreed @redravin it is true progression...statistically demonstrated in the resources I noted before, The Rational Optimist, Freakonomics, etc.
    We are getting better, bit by bit, over time.

apples to apples folks, not apples to oranges...the appropriate context needs to be applied to everything...and different factors accounted for.
    perspective can be the devil.

I say, let's just draw down the battle prep for war...transition it to awareness training and situational application.
    Let's play whack-a-mole instead of GI Joe.

No more rage at the machine...I'd like to try some flower power again.
    We've been pissed for way too long.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Charlatan

@shadowex3, for the record, I did not say you had to agree with me, but if that makes you feel superior keep on keeping on.

16. Charlatan

17. rogue49

Basically, there are violations and frustrations on all sides. (some more than others, and even this fluxes thru time and situation)
    The key is to address them as needed.

It is not bad to support your side...whatever it is at the time...

BUT can we stop pointing fingers and shouting rhetoric??
    Isn't that Congress' job? :rolleyes:

Good find @Charlatan

18. Charlatan

• Like Like x 2
  19. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I think his conclusion is what we all ought to be doing:

20. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

In the middle east there is a saying: "There will be peace when they love their children more than they hate us". The core of his conclusion is absolutely right, you can't have one party simply decide "Nope, this isn't working out for me, so we're going to be equals now". Both have to work for it.

But more than that, both have to work both ways.

Sympathising with someone's problems and trying to help is empathy.
    Using one person's problems as a bludgeon to keep everyone else from dealing with or talking about theirs too... that's pushing past even antipathy.

MRA's who try to bring up circumcision in the west when the subject at hand is stopping FGM in the global south are part of the problem.
    Feminists who completely ignore the ~80% of human trafficking that's men and boys for slave labor are part of the problem.
    MRA's that care more about getting back at false accusers than fixing the cultural insanity around sexuality are part of the problem.

I took a few days off not just to come back and post when I'd slept more than a few hours in the last few days, but also because Baraku by pure accident of a typo had given me something I needed to mull over for a bit.

Can there ever be a feminist MRA? We know the answer to that is a resounding no. The core tenets of each are inherently contradictory.
    Feminists believe in "Rape Culture". The MRM disputes that with evidence of the staggering drop in crime rates, overprosecution, unfalsifiability, and RAINN's statements
    Feminists believe in "Patriarchy". The MRM believes it's about class rather than gender, and that traditional gender roles are equal opportunity oppressors.

But can they coexist? Even if their core ideologies are fundamentally opposed to one another can they peacefully coexist and work on their respective issues?
    Until now the massive and entirely one-sided history of attacks against the MRM has been the start and end of that conversation. Until now. A few days ago for afaik the first time ever Nocturnus Libertus, a staunch radical anarchist/feminist, publically rebuked mainstream feminism for the threats and history of crime and violence against the MRM.

So maybe, just maybe, there's a chance.

There's more and more people seeing this stuff and responding like this commentor from Charlatan's article: