1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Do we have any oenophiles here?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Aug 3, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Their price for Chardonnay is reasonable to me. After our trip this summer and splashing out on some incredible wines, I'm not afraid of spending $$ on wine anymore. If I really enjoy it and can share it with other people, it's worth the price and the experience of talking about wine with good friends and family.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I always try to be cautious when suggesting wines that cost more than $20-30 to people unless I know what they drink/spend already. I try to add caveats not to make them feel bad if they think it's foolish or unreasonable to spend $50 or whatever on a bottle of wine or booze. I should've known better with you, considering your (good) taste in bourbon and beer. :p

But I stand by what I said. If you get the opportunity to try the Mayacamas Chard, or any of their wines, I'd recommend it. I drink wine too often to make a $70-80 Merlot part of the regular rotation, but theirs is outstanding for pairing with a nice red meat/grilled dinner.

• Like Like x 2
  3. snowy

Yeah, I typically don't spend over $50. I think the most I spent on our trip was $45 on a really impressive Cab Sauv...but the grand total at that winery was higher because there was also a really great Zin. I let my MIL buy the really expensive stuff. ;)

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I haven't had much Chardonnay, and I can't recall my experience of it. I think I tend to get Riesling when I drink white, which would explain the crisp thing. I'm sure I've had my share of Sauvignon Blanc as well, which I probably like better. Chardonnay? I probably could get into it.

I think I'd prefer the nutty, earthy, vanilla tones. I think my issue is that I like dry wines. Too high of a sweetness code, and I won't like it (the exception being port). This might explain why I don't like Riesling that much and would prefer Chardonnay. Why don't I see more people popping open Chardonnay? I should maybe pop open my own Chardonnay. I wonder what the Niagara Peninsula offers. Hmm.... (OMG, can of worms... I shouldn't have come into this thread.)
    --- merged: Mar 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM ---
    I should probably start by getting around to opening the bottle of white that's been collecting dust in my pantry. It's a bottle of Black Tower 2004 Raviner, which is a Müller-Thurgau variety. Never heard of it. I think it's supposed to be a medium dry.

I'll have to have someone over or something. My SO doesn't really drink. (That's part of my problem.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Borla

Typically a Riesling is fairly sweet, and often a Sauvignon Blanc is more crisp. Chardonnays can be varied depending on if they are oaked or stainless steel, all kinds of variations as to how buttery they are too. I'm not a big white wine guy, but Chards are at the top of my white list.

That Black Tower isn't going to get better with age IMO, it's almost surely past it's peak. Not that it'll have gone bad at this point if the temps and light have been reasonable, but you aren't doing it any favors by keeping it at this point. Almost all wine at that price point is produced to be immediately drank, fyi.

As I've said before, I think even in this thread, I recommend everyone try their local wine bar. If that's not a reasonable option, I'd at least boost your per bottle budget up a few bucks from the Black Tower. You don't have to spend $30+/bottle, or even $20/bottle to get a decent wine. You can find some decent bang for the buck wines if you are willing to at least go $12-15/bottle. But it is fairly difficult to do so in the $6-7/bottle range, especially if you are moving from a "I'm not sure I like wine" place. It would be like telling someone to try to get to like steak by going to Sizzler or Golden Corral to learn about steak. They don't have to go to Peter Luger's, but at least point them in the direction of a something decent. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
  6. Baraka_Guru

Borla

I figured as much about that Black Tower, which is why I'm saying it gots ta get drank.

Also, I understand much of the decent Niagara wines are between $12 and $15, so that won't be a problem in terms of my exploring. I suppose when or if I break out to wines in other regions, I'll have to search around more.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Borla

I admittedly know almost nothing about Niagara or NY wines, other than it is supposed to be one of the regions that has exploded in the last few years when it comes to improved quality. I've only had a few wines from that area, but they were solid. I know of several people who have started exploring wines of that area in the last year or so and have been impressed. Most of them are moderate in price too (read:good bang for the buck, great for people in your situation who want to learn what they like).

If you do start trying more stuff, be sure to post up what you did and didn't like, and why. That can help others of us give good suggestions for you.

Have fun. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. snowy

I'm lucky enough to live in wine country. Surprisingly, we haven't been able to maintain a good wine bar here in town, so most of my wine education has been done by visiting wineries. However, I do have a good relationship with my local purveyor. He tends to pour mostly European wines in the $8-12 range for tasting, but I've found many a good deal there through those tastings and have learned a lot about European wine as opposed to Oregon wine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baraka_Guru

Coincidentally, my SO picked up a bottle of Chardonnay to use in the big batch of soup she made for her luncheon at work tomorrow. This pretty much means the half bottle she didn't use belongs to me.

Peller Estates Family Series Chardonnay 2011

Yeah, I find this quite drinkable. I think the biggest issue I've had with whites is when they aren't dry enough.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

I realize I need to increase my very limited number of experiences with wine, if I want to be sure that it's not for me.

Currently contemplating whether I should join one of the wine-tasting groups in Dubai and go with them on their tastings every forthnight. Gotta sandwich it inbetween my projects somehow.

Would be fun.

Also got some Jacob's Creek Shiraz in the kitchen, which SO mainly uses for cooking. I'll give it a go.

11. Baraka_Guru

Remixer

That would be the best way to give wine a fair chance. Learning all the nuances and the sheer breadth of the stuff might surprise you. I should probably do this too.

Also, Shiraz is the motherfucking bomb. I haven't met a Shiraz or Merlot I didn't like.

• Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

Based on their tasting notes, that's their stainless Chard--per my best guess, since they don't mention any oak, and so that will be at the fruitier edge of the Chardonnay spectrum. Some of their other Chards are aged on oak.

13. Baraka_Guru

I prolly like oaked Chardonnay more.

• Like Like x 1
  14. snowy

• Like Like x 2
  15. Baraka_Guru

Fuuuuuuuck! Why did I click the link?

(I ♥ Moleskine)

• Like Like x 1
  16. snowy

Me too.

17. Borla

Tonight is the "Staff Tasting" at our local wine bar.

Once again, my wife and I are the only non-staff invited. I am bringing ribs and a ribeye roast, along with a bunch of side dishes and dessert. The owner informed me last Friday that I will now be included on all staff scheduling emails for these events. :p

• Like Like x 2
  18. Borla

The food was a MASSIVE hit.

The wine rep, who we know well from the wine bar, brought me two VERY nice wines as gifts because she heard we were doing the food. Awesome stuff.

A Ty Caton Petite Sirah and a Har'El Syrah from Israel.

• Like Like x 2
  19. snowy

Borla, I'm going to Napa this summer for four days and need to know where to go. I don't want to waste my time and money on shitty or overly corporate wine. Since you tend to drink a lot of the wine from that part of the country, I thought I'd hit you up. We'll be in and around the Russian River/Sonoma/Napa area for at least 4-6 days (4 minimum, my husband has a conference).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Borla

When are you going? Where will you be staying for the majority of the time?

From what I've heard, Sonoma is probably where you'll want to focus. It's supposed to be much more laid back, less snobby, and less corporate than Napa proper. The first places that I can think of off the top of my head are Mayacamas and Ty Caton. I've met the owners of both. Fairly young, very laid back, very casual, and awesome wines that, while not really cheap, aren't prohibitively expensive. I have a buddy who has been to Benziger as well and raves about it. He's sent me some of their wine and the higher end stuff is really good. Another buddy recommends Amista, he actually proposed to his wife there about two years ago, and I've had some of their wine too and it is solid. It is small and family owned, which is probably a plus if you are looking for non-corporate stuff.

I know some wine reps that have promised to hook me up with some special tours if I ever make it out there. If you'd like, and if there is time, I'll contact them and ask if they have more suggestions.

I'm jealous! :cool:

Last edited: May 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1