Thread: School Vouchers
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 04:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lebell
Cracking the Whip

Quote:
Originally posted by Superbelt
...These cheapie schools are the bare essentials, the bare minimum in teachers, little to no guidance, a pathetic library, no sports or school sponsored after school activities...

I hate to say it, but you are describing some inner city schools right now.

My own personal theory about the decline of the American school centers around the start of the income tax (WW2).

It used to be that mothers (usually) stayed home and formed a community that raised children. And it was a community effort. They also served as resources for each other if there were problems or if a new mom just wasn't up to speed on what to do when little Johnnie wouldn't stop hitting his sister.

This community formed an alliance with teachers that worked very well (and was formalized in the PTA... do they even exist anymore?).

Now both parents must work in order to maintain the same standard of living that took just one parent 60 years ago. There is no sense of community and no safety net for parents who don't know how to parent.

So I guess my solution would start with the elimination of the income tax (it was never supposed to be permanent).

That, or a total Nanny state of 50-75% taxes, where the state takes care of all our needs (Europe is getting there...)
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." – C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54