View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cynthetiq
Tilted Cat Head

Administrator
I don't know where you live but many I know don't have the ability to switch ISPs when it comes to cable, they have 1 cable company to pick from. I'm lucky, I have 3 to pick from in my building, Time Warner, RCN, and Verizon. Many do not have such a luxury and are stuck with their cable provider.

Show me one example where someone can become an MSO as a brand new entrepenuer....

Here's a wired.com snippet that shows more nefarious reasons to worry.

Quote:
A broadband company could, for instance, ink a deal with Microsoft to transfer all attempts to reach Google.com to Bing.com. The only recourse a user would have, under the ruling, would be to switch to a different provider — assuming, of course, they had an alternative to switch to.

Companies can also now prohibit you from using a wireless router you bought at the store, forcing you to use one they rent out — just as they do with cable boxes. They could also decide to charge you a fee every time you upgrade your computer, or even block you from using certain models, just as the nation’s mobile phone carriers do today.

Read More Court Drives FCC Towards Nuclear Option to Regulate Broadband | Epicenter | Wired.com
So, if Comcast decided it no longer wanted to stream ANY CBS.com video it could easily do so as part of their ability to decide how to throttle or limit bandwidth. They could say to you,"Watch it on your TV instead of on your PC."
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54