View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
The_Jazz
Asshole

Administrator
Wow, I think I'm starting to understand how your boss feels. You haven't paid attention to anything we've said.

I manage several people directly and several more indirectly. I have a mantra that I've always followed - if I have to manage you, I'm going to manage you out the door. Perhaps that's what's happening here, but I don't think it's that simple.

A couple of things - this didn't "happen all of a sudden" and he could not have documented your file without this email. The email is documentation, and cc'ing HR proves it. If he's planning on firing you with cause, then this is the setup. Also, you have no way of knowing if anyone else has been written up. Everyone else who's not following procedures could have similar letters in their files. You just don't know - and unless that employee tells you, you never will.

Do NOT craft a response unless you have hard and fast evidence that disproves these points, which you don't have. The response will go into your file. When (not if) the time comes that your job performance is being reviewed, the response will be held against you.

We're not capable of decyphering "why" for you. We don't have the details and we only have your side of the story. It's entire possible that you're just a shitty employee. I'm assuming the opposite, but that's one of the many variables that we don't and won't have in helping you.

If you are going to go against this advice, I sincerely hope that you make sure that the response is completely understandable with no AOLspeak or abreviated words. If you have an MBA, you should know that the ability to write complete and comprehendable sentences sways other peoples' opinions about the writer. Don't get caught sounding like a dumb teenager.

And do NOT go to your manager's boss without your manager's express permission. You'll look vindictive at best or completely ignorant of the chain of command and correct procedures at worst. And the LAST thing you want to do is get on the boss's radar screen as being an idiot.

And by the way, your career IS in your own hands, not his. It's your responsibility, not his. Why should he help you get out of his department? Unless he's a mentor figure for you - and if he was at one stage, he's not any more - there's no upside for him helping you. Expecting it seems foolhardy to me.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73