View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cynthetiq
Tilted Cat Head

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutulu View Post
Oh please you present the arguement as if it is such a burden on the final cost of the product. Since the incidence of nut allergies is so low the amount of lost sales can't be that high. Furthermore, what does the certification cost? A couple thousand dollars? Spread that around all the products made there and the cost is quite insignificant. Oh wait, nevermind, I just finished reading a bunch of articles about all the jobs lost because manufacturers had to disclose some of the potential allergins that might be present in their product.

Hyperbole much? You're right, there is no difference between mandating carseats and fences that engage automatically that would protect people in crosswalks. None at all.

The only flaw in the discussion is that it is pointless to base the analysis on fatalities. If an accident is severe enough to kill someone in a seat belt it probably was severe enough to kill someone in the car seat. However, in a less serious accident, a restraint system that is designed for the body size of a toddler will protect them from injuries better than one designed for somone twice as tall. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. Younger kids even use 5 point harnesses, which are even safer (NASCAR doesn't use them for the lulz).

Adults are FORCED to wear seatbelts (they's takin' R freedum). There is an additional cost either way. One way would require cars to have restraints that can be used for kids (passing a cost to everyone) or to force parents to buy the seat. The way you piss and moan about having to subsizide other peoples' costs I would think you'd prefer it the way it is.

It isn't that much and there are programs for those who can't afford it.
It is a significant cost. I've been costing manufacturing plants for the past 3 years and the costs of CLEANING the machines varies from $3k-$4k. The costs of certification is in the tens of thousands. While you don't think it's significant it is to the small business owner who manufactures in cycles instead of owning a plant and machinery. It's costs that aren't cheap to the small markup.

Since you'd like to make this more about some sort of personal attack instead of the discussion of data and parsing that date I'm bowing out of the rest of the discussion. You got google and the internet. I must be dumb and wrong because I've actually done the legwork and have a significant investment in the food industry.
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73