Thread: My Horrible SUV
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Bill O'Rights
will always be an Alyson Hanniganite

Quote:
Originally Posted by new man View Post
Bill, how many children do you and your wife have?
I have a 21 year old, not living at home. We have a 6 year old, and we are raising our 2-year-old grand daughter.
So...2 really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraka_Guru View Post
Yeah, the status symbol SUVs have become is a big part of it.
I can possibly see that, if it were…say…an Escalade. It’s a 94 Ford Explorer. I don’t really see a status thing going on there. My SUV has an emphasis on the word “utility”. I lay the back seats down, and I can haul anything that I used to haul in my truck. It keeps me from having to rent the truck at Home Depot. Put the seats back up, and there is room for the 2 kids in the back seat. It has plenty of ground clearance, so I take it “off road” when we go camping or fishing. In short..I actually use the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraka_Guru View Post
But I do tend to question drivers I see puttering around in SUVs and minivans alike if they are the only passenger and cargo in the entire vehicle.
Mmmm…yeeaah…I can see that. But, bear in mind, it is my primary vehicle. I will not always be toting spouse, kids and their assorted gear. Sometimes I just need it to transport my lone ass somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektore View Post
It is generally assumed minivans are undesirable vehicles due to their 'stigma'.
Perhaps it is my age, but I see no “stigma” in the mini-van. When we go somewhere as a family, we will typically take the T&C. It is newer, it is shinier and, quite frankly, has much more room in it. I am not the least bit embarrassed to be seen driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willravel View Post
You two don't get the same gas mileage.
Actually, truth be told, we get very similar gas mileage. Barring certain variables, such as use of the four wheel drive, the Explorer is only 2 MPG behind the T&C. Not enough that I care.

"Hedonism with rules isn't hedonism at all, it's the Republican party." - JumpinJesus

It is indisputable that true beauty lies within...but a nice rack sure doesn't hurt.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73