View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #129 (permalink)
ratbastid
Darth Papa

I'm ditching some spoiler tags on things that aren't actually spoilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willravel View Post
Voyager landed on a planet several times. I'm not saying that a Constellation class of ship would regularly be landing, as they have transporters and shuttles, but in an emergency it makes sense to have that basic ability. Sure, we're talking about a few million metric tons of pressure on the bottom of the ship (presumably), but it's the future, damn it!
The only time the Enterprise was on a planet that I can think of was the saucer section crash landing in Generations. Voyager is a much different class of ship--my assumption is that Enterprise was never built for landing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willravel
Spoiler: Well the black that Spock and the Narada went through wasn't simply your run of the mill singularity, it was a singularity that was also gobbling up some special kind of supernova. The normal physical laws may not have applied under the special circumstances.
Spoiler: Not if you ask a physicist. I mean, yeah, you can do the Trek sciency handwaving thing, but... I get tetchy about any scifi that has anybody "fly through" a black hole. You're stretched infinitely thin along the axis that runs toward and away from the singularity quite a while before you actually hit the event horizon, for one thing. And I don't mean space-time bends with you in it: you're PHYSICALLY squeezed and stretched. Unsurvivably so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willravel
Spoiler: It's entirely possible that Spock and Uhuru did have a relationship before the original events of TOS, but because Spock ended up choosing his Vulcan side eventually they broke it off some time before the 5 year mission. They may have been on track to break it off in this alternate reality, but the destruction of Vulcan and the introduction of old Spock lead Spock v2.0 to embrace his human side more may lead him to embrace a relationship with a human, not to mention the heart to heart he had with Sarek about Sarek's love for Spock's mother may have lead him to understand that one may supplement a life without emotion with a deep love for a hot human woman. I myself plan on bagging myself a hot human woman in the future.
Spoiler: Well, sure, something like that. I'm just wishing the movie had given us that, rather than us having to make something up. It's the only character-based loose end they left loose.

I didn't realize until the ending credits that Damon Lindelof produced on this show. JJ brought a bunch of LOSTies over, didn't he? I recognized the score as Michael Giacchino, who Abrams uses on everything. I wish there had been a little more nodding to the original soundtrack and sfx. The few times they did that were great.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73