View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
ASU2003
immoral minority

What does 'the good life' mean to you?

I know this will be different for everyone, but I am interested in seeing if there are any similar things that everyone agrees on, or some things that might be nice, but most people could live without. And then again, would I still want more after I got all of the things that I think would make me happy today? Are there things I could do with my life today that wouldn't cost much that would enable me to have a better life? I was at the beach last week drinking a margarita and I was thinking that life can't get much better. Maybe if I was sailing on a yacht to the virgin islands with a cute girl...

But getting a raise at my current job won't make that happen, having the government lower or raise my taxes won't impact it... I would need to do something big that makes me a lot more successful to get to that level. The next question would be have you ever wanted something, got it, but were bored or disappointed in it?

My list would be something like this:
1. Health and fitness - I feel like I accomplished something when I exercise, and eating healthy food and being in shape are good things to do no matter how much money or what job you have.
2. Love and a stable long-term relationship with someone who is perfect for you - This is missing from my life.
3. Friends that you can trust and know how to have fun - I have some work to do in this area. While I am a friendly person, it is hard to have similar interests and plan to do activities together on a routine basis with my schedule.
4. Family - You need to have a functional family.
5. City you live in is safe and has decent people - I don't live in the best city, but it is far from the worst. It actually is pretty good, and there aren't too many things that I would change.
6. Travel - Money would change a few aspects of where I travel to, and what I would do, but it wouldn't change things very much.
7. Money - Have enough money to get what you need and what you want. I think my number is 3 million. Anything under that won't change how I live my life, and if it is greater than that, I will be able to do whatever I want. I think I will buy a lottery ticket tonight. Then again, I am happy with the amount of money I have now, and don't worry about paying bills, taxes or other expenses (they are taken care of automatically)
8. Hobbies - I fell a sense of accomplishment when I build something, so I would still want to learn and do things for myself.
9. Security - In order for me to feel good, I need to know that I have a plan to get out of any situation. I am a survivor.
10. Free time - I want to be able to do what I want, or choose to do nothing at all.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73