Thread: Sri Lanka
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leto
Junkie

I spent some time there when I was younger. There are some must see places, but if you are going on a Buddhist tour, then you will most likely be seeing the major destinations (the reclining Buddha in Polonnaruwa; the Aukana Buddha near Dambulla - significant now that the taliban destroyed the larger one in Afghanistan - ; the Bo Tree in Annuradhapura; the Temple of the Tooth in Kandy; and maybe even Adam's Peak)

But there are many Hindu sights to see as well such as the abode of the Hindu deity Katirkamen in the city of Kataragama. It's a 24/7 festival there.

There's also the ancient cities and fortresses themselves - Sigirya the main fortress.

Columbo is loud, congested and has lots to offer when shopping.

The beaches are vast, but usually frequented by Germans. (not that there's anythig wrong with that)

Try to visit the tea plantations up country. It's lovely, there are botonical gardens near the University of Peridinya, and the city of Nuwara Elya is notable due to the British nature of it's environment.

Here's some photos that I took:

Some tea picker ladies:

and the roadside scenery:

Devon Falls (Talawakelle)

Anglican Church near Holbrook:

the people are very friendly, if you attempt Sinhalese, they will love you, and switch to English;

hello in Sinhalese is Aibone or ayu-bowen
how are you is: kohomede sapa saneepa? or just kohomeda for short
replying fine is: innewa (it's going, or things are going (fine))

hello in Tamil is venecum
how are you is: epidde suggum? or just epidde for short.
replying fine is: nalle suggum

Sinhalese is used in most places like Columbo, along the southern/coastal regions, but as y ou get to the high country, there is more of a Tamil mix. The tea country (Kandy, Talawakelle, Nuwara Ellya) is very Tamil. If you go north (which may not be possible due to the war like state of affairs) it will be primarly Tamil.

There's so much more to cover in the country, such as the national park system ( Yala has tours and elephants are all over) the jungle foliage and hiking in the up country.

Note, watch out for monkeys. They can steal your knapsack if you put it down.
You were loosening my grip on Bobby Orr

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Leto_Atreides_I

Last edited by Leto; 01-29-2009 at 11:17 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73