View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Baraka_Guru
warrior bodhisattva

Super Moderator
I could support such a regulation.

Most car commercials are pretty useless. I'm thinking of the typical one that shows the car being driven in the most idyllic situation: wide-open, winding roads closed to the public, and always shot with exciting angles during nice weather (that is, unless a dramatic effect is desired). This type of ad is shown to reflect a sense of sheer pleasure, which can be had by the viewer if only they go and purchase the product for themselves.

We see the same thing with beer commercials. They're essentially the same. Idyllic situations, sheer pleasure, yours to be had. The thing I notice beer companies doing--whether legislated or not--is they often have the message somewhere that reads something like: "Enjoy responsibly." This implies one thing: This product can be dangerous if used irresponsibly. Dangerous enough to take one's life. Please don't and drive.

Why not something similar for car commercials? I know they have messages such as "closed conditions" or "professional driver," but these have a different effect. They aren't aimed at the viewer as much as it is an excusing or disclaimer for the manufacturer. It's like saying, "This kind of driving was made possible by our own means...just so you know it isn't a realistic demonstration." It's too much of an indirect warning, if a warning at all. If instead they had a message that suggested a certain reality--in this case, fuel efficiency--it would be a responsible thing for the industry to do to inform their potential customers. Something to break through the idyllic fantasy. Yes, the car looks pretty driving down that winding mountain road, but also realize how much fuel it takes to do so. "Enjoy responsibly."

Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
—From "Burnt Norton," Four Quartets (1936), T. S. Eliot

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62