View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cynthetiq
Tilted Cat Head

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaver
I've always been baffled at SUV haters. Some people get so angry at the fuel efficiency of the cars of other people. The people whom are willing to pay for the pleasure of it.

If you make the economic decision to buy cheap whiskey, and I make the decision to buy Crown or Walker, then the enjoyment of said device means more to me than the difference in price. If gas factors more for you than space or power, then that is your decision and you'll be happy with a Prius. If I want a car with some power and space for pulling a boat and a full family in one car more than gas, then that is my decision.

As for economics, no it's not the end. Crossovers are already becoming more popular, and with higher technology improving mileage it will be with equal power of the old giants.

In addition, the average ownership of a car new is only 2-5 years. It takes something like 80k miles to just break even on gas between hybrids and their non-hybrid equivilant. Very few people drive that much.
I agree with this very much so. I'm pretty pissed off that CA decided that incandecent bulbs will be outlawed so that people will be forced to use CF bulbs. I hate the look of CF and prefer the warmth of incandescent. People are allowed to waste gas, why can't I be allowed to waste electricity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraka_Guru
We have a Mazda3 Sport. It fits 4 adults a Labrador retriever and a medium-sized mixed breed. The dogs sit comfortably in the hatchback. It's usually just the Labrador, which would be even more comfortable, but you get the idea.
Yes, the Mazda3 has a great deal amount more space, the hatchback space in the Prius has zero headroom due to the sloping areodynamic hatch.

Of course, by the same tokens my sister's family could fit in the Integra they have, and the inconvenience of putting kids in the car seat would be better for the environment.
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62