View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaya
Are people "of faith" better equipped to get through these kinds of things, because they believe that the daughter is going to heaven that much faster? It disturbs me to think about people thinking that the "meaning" behind such a meaningless, heartbreaking accident, could be that "the girl was so precious, God wanted her to be in heaven with him sooner."
Not all faiths believe this or even parts of this, but I think it is a good question.
"Are people of faith better equipped to get through these kinds of things?"

Maybe, generally speaking, but on an individual level I think it really depends on the persons ability to cope with dificult situations like these.
With faith or without, I think some people are able to work through these situations better than others.

Is a person of faith more likely to be one of these people, I am not sure. They may have more at their disposal to help them deal
- an understanding or belief of how things work and faith in those beliefs
- a procedure/protocol/rules to follow in these types of situations that may help with moving on (or coping) at the begining
- a belonging to a community/congregation/group that helps out with other day to day things while a person is going through these situations
- a belonging to a communit/congregation/group that a person can turn to to find other people to talk to that have gone through similar situations

But all this can exist whether the person is of faith or not.

I still feel that it is really up to the nature of the specific person in the situation. And even that person can handle different situations differetly.

As an example, during and after the Holocaust many observant jews became more observant and many others became less observant or non-observant. Some did not change in this respect at all. Many jews who were non-observant became observant.
It really depends on the person.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62