View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 04:49 AM   #54 (permalink)
Randle2I
Tilted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian
All of this goes the other way, though. You're assuming that because you personally haven't had a lot of trouble with Vista that everyone else is griping 'to be cool.' Meanwhile an unacceptably large percentage of the population is having difficulties that in some cases are making their computers or software completely unusable. This is completely unacceptable, especially when an 'upgrade' is completely arbitrary and offers nothing substantial in the way of new features.

The Linux is userbase is, by and large, much more tech savvy then the general population. You admittedly have to be in order to use Linux. Most of them hate Microsoft and Windows. A large percentage of them switched to Linux specifically to get away from using Microsoft products. That doesn't strike you as odd?

I'm assuming that when people complain about something they bring up logical, fact driven evidence against it such as what Augi did. When people do that I tend to believe it more than some blogger that doesn't know how to count or how to put a CD into a cd-rom drive. I've seen more of the latter than the former though. All I ever see are the "my HP drivers don't work" or the "The menu's are too confusing" or "a friend of a friend said Vista fubar'd his machine, raped his mother & gave him a D- in chemistry". People don't like change & Vista has been the biggest Windows change in a very long time.

I'm also not sure why exactly it should strike me as odd that many Linux users want to get away from MS. The beauty of choice is that having OSX & Linux means that if people do want to get away from MS they can. In the same way it doesn't strike me as odd that people won't buy Sony after the rootkit fiasco, or they won't buy VW's after their horrible history of electronics, or someone wont fly Delta after a horrible experience. Some people just have really bad luck with their MS box, I know I've certainly seen some people that should make a change.

Note that in our apartment we have 1 Mac laptop, 1 linux laptop, 1 Vista machine, and 2 XP boxes. I've used all of them and each has its own strengths & weaknesses.

Note 2: my spelling is absolutely terrible this morning but I'm too lazy to go back & fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_jay
Sure would have been nice if you provided proof that people just make fun of them because it's the popular thing to do, aside from your anecdotal evidence that is. Not being obtuse at all I was posting my opinion on a subject you brought up, sorry for sharing my opinion on a message board.

But I'll start a thread in motors to discuss the build quality of American SUV's, I'll show you just how horribly they're thrown together.

The Jeep Wrangler
The best selling truck/vehicle of the last few years
The original SUV

Just three examples of our unreliable trucks and because we like anecdotal evidence so much our 93 Ford Explorer has over 210,000 miles on it and is still going. You're certainly allowed to have the opinion that domestic SUV's suck but I'll continue just the opposite.

Last edited by Randle2I; 04-27-2008 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73