View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
lotsofmagnets
Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaya
Yeah, but it's not like they set gas prices based on how far people drive... and in the rest of Europe, prices aren't that different (and people still drive pretty far). I know some people in Iceland who drive every day between Keflavík and Reykjavík, and I'm sure you saw the truck drivers protesting the high prices the last few weeks. So I don't think it really gets equalized... it just depends on your particular commute and salary.
i did wonder exactly what the protests were going to achieve. funny part was i was driving rvk-hfj during the protests several times and only found out after ie no impact on me at all. you are right that it depends on the commute and salary. a low income earner probably wouldn´t work too far from home and will drive a car that´s as small and fuel efficient as possible. and i don´t see a doctor or a banker zipping around in a yaris or a micra. hell, this is iceland... having said that i´d be curious to know if there are countries that have vast distances and high fuel prices. both the states and australia have comparably low prices which offsets the vast distances (50-150km a day in au is rather common) europe tends to be more closed in and i remember in slovenia having to commute further than 15 minutes to work is considered just stupid, but then slovenia is tiny and if you drive to far you literally run out of slovenia. i´d be curious to hear how it is in larger places like germany. having said that a lot of places in europe are now well served by low budget flights which is a viable alternative. do the people you know work or are they at uni? i have a friend who lives in kef as well and she tells me there is a free shuttle bus as kef is where all the accommodation is cheap and hance the students (including herself) end up being housed. i have another friend who works in hfj and he commutes from sandgerði everyday, but then that´s what having kids does to you...
she shed her mountain turning training wheels, for the convenience of the moving sidewalk, that delivers the magnetic monkey children through the mouth of impossible calendar clock, into the devil's manhole cauldron.
physics of a bicycle, isn't it remarkable?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73