View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
genuinegirly
Eat your vegetables

Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
What I currently have is:

* enough MREs (meals ready to eat) to feed six people for 4-5 years

* a large supply of drinking water, will invest in a filtration system soon

* a full array of medical supplies
Lastly, if your views are a desire not to survive, have you thought about you loved ones and what you would do if they lived but looked toward you to protect them?

Sounds like my grandfather. He moved with my grandmother to the middle of nowhere in Utah, and filled his two basements with stuff he decided he'd most likely need in a major disaster or the collapse of the world as we know it. He was certain it would happen in his lifetime. He was convinced he was doing something wonderful for his children and grandchildren.

Honestly, most everything rotted. It took my relatives several weeks/months to go through it and throw it away when it came time to sell the house.

Having a plan, being prepared for disaster is always a good thing. You'll be plenty prepared. My family always had two months' supply of food. We rotated the food regularly, so I ate more bland canned food than I want to admit in my childhood. It did come in handy for us. Since we had the food set aside, we didn't feel a crunch during the summers when my mom didn't have work.

One thing that my family set up that I do appreciate is a backyard with ~30 fruit trees (mostly dwarf and semi-dwarf), which were planted with seasonality of fruit-bearing in mind. We always had some sort of fresh fruit, no matter the time of the year. We also had chickens, and varying success with a vegetable garden. We also had a massive stockpile of seeds, and the ready skills to sprout even 30+ year old seeds with significant results.

I agree with Manuel Hong:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Hong
The best survival tool is knowledge of the natural world. Supplies run out, go bad or fail. Knowledge and connection to the Earth doesn't go away. Unless the Earth is left crippled beyond hope and the sky turns to blood and the ground to ash...in that case, I'd be relieved to die.
I can make fire, live off the land and I can identify plants for food, medicine and tools. As long as I can find myself in a natural environment, I may be alright...especially in a community. The WATER could be a problem! The way the world is being polluted, that may be the deal-breaker.
Let's hope we all get our shit together soon.

The ability to produce your own food, and the land prepared for such a task, is a far more valuable thing than several hundred dollars' worth of stockpile that will most likely rot before use.

"violence is no more or less real than non-violence." roachboy

Last edited by genuinegirly; 04-08-2008 at 04:41 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73