View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #108 (permalink)
filtherton
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikilidstrom
you're kidding, right?!?!

The only thing that wouldn't make this death an example of Darwin at his finest is if the police discover that one doctor prescribed all of these meds to him and told him there would be no danger. Even then, not to question the use of all these powerful drugs at once is suspect. But then again, I won't take 2 different over the counter drugs at once, but thats just me.

As it stands now, they haven't even announced if he obtained the meds legally, much less from one doctor.
So essentially what your saying is that because heath ledger didn't do something that you would have done, or knew stuff that you know he's stupid? I don't know. Maybe. I'm pretty sure i know some shit that you don't and vice versa- that doesn't make either one of us stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highthief
I have no medical training, yet I know that swallowing a bunch of powerful medications in random combination is probably a pretty bad idea. I would assume that most people understand that.

All the people in the first examples, including Ledger, died because they failed to follow basic common sense.
Common sense? I don't think that there is any sort of universal human experience surrounding prescription drugs, why would you expect common sense to apply? I suspect that when you use the term common sense you really mean the set of all things that seem obvious to you. This raises two important questions: 1) Why would you expect the things that are obvious to you to be obvious to other people- why would you expect common sense to be common? and, 2) Why does it make sense at all to judge a person's intelligence by comparing the the set of things you think are obvious to the things the other persons thinks is obvious?

I don't really care all that much about heath ledger. I just think it's a little tasteless, shallow perhaps, to use the event of someone's death as an opportunity to tell everyone how much smarter you are than the dead guy. Yep, he's dead, and you probably wouldn't have been dead if you were him, but maybe you still would have been because you would have been him. It's even sillier when the evidence your hold up of your superior intelligence isn't really evidence of anything.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73