View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
host
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0nsensical
Maybe it's just payback for the way Americans act in foreign countries. :P
Doesn't seem to be the case....

Quote:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../TR8TRGM5T.DTL
Travelers' Checks: European survey gives high marks to U.S. tourists
John Flinn, Larry Habegger

Sunday, August 19, 2007
If anyone from outside the US is still willing to answer a question, I would like to know if you have ever inquired via the internet or other reference source, or discussed tipping etiquette in the US, in anticipation of a visit or because of actually visiting the US?

If you have wanted to know about when and what percentage to tip in US restaurants or in other situations, did you also seek information on other facets of US etiquette or local customs?

If you did not ask about tipping before you came to the US, did you try to find out information on how much Americans routinely tipped when they dined in one of their restaurants, while you were visiting, or since?

If you did not inquire about US tipping etiquette in anticipation of a visit to the US, did you ask about other US practices and customs, so that you could "fit in" more smoothly during your visit, or be more knowledgable about American society?

Here are answers to a question of how much to tip, for comparison:
Responses to tipping question in yahoo.ca "answers":
Quote:
http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/answers2...2091120AAhgdIr
What is your policy on tipping restaurant staff?
How much do you tip? Do you always tip that regardless of service quality. I believe that the tip should be prorated according to service. If I feel they did a job of 4 on a 1-10 scale they get 8%, if they did 10 they get 20% and if it was amazing they get more and so on.

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Well how you tip is up to you. When the service has been good I generally like to tip over a dollar. Apparently in some places you have to tip at least 15% of the bill. The waiter/ess will even stay at your table until you do so! Mind you, if the quality is poor(as in waiter/ess attitude) I don't tip at all.

depending on the service, about 10-15%. but if i go to buffets i only tip $1 or 2 since they're only clearing plates.

I totally agree. Good service, means good tip. Rude staff rarely get much more than 7% from me.

I always tip the standard is 15% if they were exceptional I give more.

We ususally tip between 15% and 20%. If it's breakfast, sometimes a bit more (they had to get up very early to get there and be friendly at that hour).

I am a very generous tipper if I get good service. If I get bad service I tip much less.

I tip 15%. If the service was great I may give a really big tip, if the service is rude I may not tip at all (It has to be REALLY bad). Once, a waitress in a bad mood called my Mom a b***h under her breath(on the day of my Grandfather's funeral), she didn't think we heard. Not only did she NOT get a tip, but she also got FIRED.

I'm not sure. The clubs bill me and my amanuensis takes care of it along with other duties other than taking dictation. Probably around 20% unless the meal was exceptionally good and I instruct something a little extra.

I tip according to the way i ve been treate, good service good tip, something like you actually.

I am a server at a fine dining restaurant and I have been doing this type of work for 8 years. It's fast and very good money. I KNOW I am a good server so I expect 20%. If I am getting very busy then I don't get upset if my tip percentage goes down a little. I would like to say the following: If you go out to eat PLEASE DO NOT ask for lemon with your water and then ask for sugar to make your own home made lemonade. That is just low class and trashy. DO NOT starting calling over the server while they are in the middle of a conversation with another table. That is just rude I know your mama's raised you better than that. DO NOT say you are ready to order and then start to "think" about what you want right then and there, we do have other tables!!! If you are with a big party please realize that it doesn't take 5 seconds to get your drinks ready, so be patience. After you are done eating please pay the check and leave. We have to "turn" our tables, that's the only way we make money so if you are catching up with your old friend you are waisting our time and our money, so you should pay for each 1/2 hour you sit there!!!!! Go to Starbucks or a park to catch up on old times, this is especially directed to you women out there! Thank you for listening.
and the answers on http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8233831AA9KVrv
Quote:
Home > Society & Culture > Etiquette > Open Question How much do you tip waiters or waitresses?

The old adage was 15% but I generally tip 20%. Am I being generous or are we now tipping higher? Usually 15% seems too cheap to me. If the service was mediocre to bad -- I had to wait a lot or they messed something up, I'll go 15%.

just slam down a fist full of dollars, 5 at the most and any spare change you got.

You are right on the mark with myself. I give 20% to good service...15% to poor. Around the holidays...I tip a bit more..say 30%...I do not eat out much anyway...and I make enough money to share.

I am a former waitress. I was always happy with 15%, unless the party was 6 or more or they ordered a lot of alcoholic beverages. No worries, 15% for a regular meal is perfectly fine. But 20% is always appreciated. ;-)

We always do 18-20%... unless it was terrible and then 10-15%... that is how they make thier living, but they have to be decent...

we have service charge here in KL,everywhere you go.so we pay about rm 4 to rm 20 for it.so theres no use leaving a tip,since its already a rip off!

I always start at 20% and go from there. If service was really poor, I'd drop it to 15%, but if it's really good or my kids were especially messy/obnoxious, I'll bump it to 30%.

nothing im a great cook and love to do so, company comes far to eat at my home. i dont eat out...

I'm doing the tipping same way as you are.

I generally tip 20%.

If the service was mediocre I give a lower tip .good 15% , If it was great I give 18 %,If the food was bad but the waitress tried hard I still tip 15% .If the waitress was really rude,ignored us while visiting with another table for a long time or one once was drunk I leave nothing.I was a waitress so I know how hard it is. I always tip unless its just horrible service.

Last edited by host; 01-29-2008 at 01:38 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73